Old November 10, 2001, 11:55   #1
a2b2c3
Settler

Local Time: 10:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Possible bug, and a question about culture...
ok, first the bug. I think presicion strike has a bug with it. I tried getting my f-15's to target an enemy town but it wouldn't let me. Infact i couldn't target anything with it but my own town. So i let a turn pass, tried it with another fighter, same thing. So i decided to target the town, what the hell i though, might as well see what happens. I got a message saying i could no longer support the temple in the town so they sold it. I think we have a bug here.

Ok, now the culture question... Let's see, i have a town, not sure how much culture, maybe 100. 3 squares to the NW there's an english town with about 240 and 3 to the se there's another with about the same, so what happens my town defects. What the hell is up with that. In my previous game i had a city with 5000 and the town 5 squares away with only 300 never defected. And in my current game i have capitol with around 1000 and another city with about 200 both about 4/5 squares away and the town they are near doesn't defect. So i'm asking what makes a town defect?
Old November 10, 2001, 12:26   #2
a2b2c3
Settler

*bump* someone please answer
Old November 10, 2001, 13:09   #3
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 11:28
what does *bump* mean?

I've seen this b4 but never knew.
Old November 10, 2001, 13:15   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 16:28
A Bump is a post who's sole purpose is to "bump" the thread back up the top of the forum.

As for the question - I haven't got the game, but this certainly sounds suspect...
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old November 10, 2001, 13:59   #5
binarystatic
Settler

The problem with precision strikes is a known issue -- I've never heard from anyone who has gotten it to work correctly. . .

About the cultural assimilation of cities -- first of all there is some randomness to it. I believe it relies on the same random number seeds that combat and diplomacy do because you can reload the game to the turn before a city is assimilated, do something different with the combat and/or diplomacy, and the city then might not get assimilated next turn.

The rest is pure speculation on my part:
Assimilation chances might rely on overall cultural scores in addition to city cultural scores.
Assimilation chances might change based on the other civ's attitude toward you -- I've noticed I seem to assimilate cities from friendly civ's more than those of my enimies.
Old November 10, 2001, 20:35   #6
a2b2c3
Settler

ok so the p-strike is a know bug, thats good. And for the culture thing i'd like to add this update. First i lost grenoble to the english due to culture, then i lost Roune, i'm still owndering what the hell is going on. Next i gained Some english city i don't remember the name. then i got roune back. now i've lost the english city again. This is getting very annoying. I want my other city back!!! (and i wouldn't mind the english one either)
Old November 10, 2001, 21:30   #7
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 11:28
Thanks for the explanation of bump!
Old November 10, 2001, 21:39   #8
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 16:28
Quote:
ok so the p-strike is a know bug, thats good. And for the culture thing i'd like to add this update. First i lost grenoble to the english due to culture, then i lost Roune, i'm still owndering what the hell is going on. Next i gained Some english city i don't remember the name. then i got roune back. now i've lost the english city again. This is getting very annoying. I want my other city back!!! (and i wouldn't mind the english one either)
LOL I feel your pain. . .

Welcome to the "Now you own it; now you don't" club