Old November 10, 2001, 21:30   #1
civ-n00b
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Workers... do catpured ones do things slower?
I'm playing in chieftan (yes, i'm a wimp who is checking out the diffs... ) and after conquering half my continent (and yes, this wimp is bragging about it) i aquired about... 70-90 workers, all foreign. BUT, all these workers seem to take twice as long as my home grown ones, on EVERYTHING. just because of their sheer numbers and the fact that they are "free" i don't mind this, but i'm just curios to see if this is common or just me? do any other chieftan wimps (like me) or better players (anyone that plays higher than cheiftan ) have the same issue (not sure if its a problem... free workers?). thnx.

-another n00b
Old November 10, 2001, 21:34   #2
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 08:30
if you play with a civ that's has the industrious attribute, then your own original workers work faster.

because of that, when you capture enemy workers who belong to a civ that is not industrious, they appear to work slower however I think that's just the regular speed.

I do think though that there is a penalty to captured workers, but I'm not 100% sure
Old November 10, 2001, 21:36   #3
civ-n00b
Chieftain

thnx
thnx! hmmm... i'm getting use to my workers doing everything in onw turn, might have to stick to industrious civs :P
Old November 10, 2001, 21:47   #4
Altuar
Warlord

Local Time: 11:30
In my experience, playing even with non-industrious civs, foreign workers did things slower. Kind of slave-labor mentality, which, if was made explicit, had to be removed from the game due to PCness.

Anyway, I liked it when I had a couple of chinese workers building up my railroads during the industrial age. Kind of added some historical flavour to the game.
Old November 10, 2001, 22:52   #5
civ-n00b
Chieftain

lol
lololol...

well, just decided to see who is and who isn't industrious (and if i've taken 'em over) and i found out that half my captured workers are from industrious civs... yet they all perform thing half as fast as my main guys. i do think they have a penalty of some sort, maybe it is the 'slave mentality'
Old November 11, 2001, 01:46   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 09:30
I agree.

I didn't noticed this until I dicovered steam engine and began building railroads.

I had all my workers start building railroads at the same time. The difference is very noticable when you do that.

It seems to be 50% slower, but it might only be 33% slower. I haven't tested it.
Old November 11, 2001, 03:48   #7
kalishatra
Settler

they're half as fast.

the upside is that they don't seem to cost any upkeep.

so grab as many as you can, and keep them in small groups.

you can also get workers in trades, sometimes. I'm not sure if these ones work at half speed as well.
Old November 11, 2001, 06:29   #8
PGM
Prince

Yep, captured workers work half as fast, doesn't have anything to do with industrious civs.
Just hover any little button on the bottom of the screen that indicates a worker action (irrigate/mine/road/...), and compare the required amount of turns between a national and a foreign worker to complete that job.