Old November 11, 2001, 00:24   #1
Alantus
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cool things that have happened to me
Since I have gotten a bit tired of reading posts about all the negative feelings that seem to be running rampant I thought I would share some of the things I found really cool so far.

1. Comedy: Early on while I was playing as the Iroquois and trying to swindle Honest Abe on a trade (advisor said we were getting close to a deal, sometimes they accept those you know) he replied "That dog won't hunt Hiawatha". I found this very very entertaining, maybe its just cause I'm a displaced redneck.

2. Bribery: I was playing with the standard settings (had bumped up barbarian difficulty one notch) and Warlord with the French, got lucky and was on the huge continent with India, Russia, Germany, and England. After I had killed off the Indians and was taking a few turns to prime the war machine and attack the Russians (they had saltpeter), Russia suddenly attacks me. I wasn't ready yet!!!! I swallowed my pride and gave away some techs and gold and got everybody I had contact with to declare war on Russia. Russia soon asks for peace which I accept so I can oil that war machine up to perfection and make the perfect invasion. This seemed to upset some of the Civs (it should have) but when I got ready and jumped back in the war they seemed to have forgiven me a bit.

3. I got a threat to work! After I had dismanteled the Germans (described above) and had fine tuned the war machine once again I couldn't decide who should feel the wrath next, the Germans and English were pretty much dead even as far as location and ease of victory were concerned. While I was checking out the English I noticed they had somehow managed to get a tech I hadn't gotten yet. This was not acceptable in any way. I demanded Elizabeth give me the tech, she refused (no surprise there). I thought I would try a little convincing so the next turn I moved both my armies to the border of an English city and demanded the tech again, suddenly Elizabeth has a change of heart and gives it to me. I was very surprised and pleased by this.

4. While I was playing around and learning the options for spying I tried to plant a Spy and it failed. Not knowing or caring what I was doing, I tried to plant 4 more, all of which met with the same fate, after the 4th or 5th one, they declared war on me, no big surprise but it was nice to see it work like that.

Just thought I would share, feel free to do the same. While Civ3 is far from perfect, it did hold my attention for 8 to 14 hours a day for 7 days straight

Alantus
Old November 11, 2001, 00:51   #2
DaddyCool
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:30
Wow! That 3rd one is especially nice. Gonna try it out.

I like how the AI reasseses its strategy during a war. Exampe; if it's ammasing troops outside one of my cities, and I respond by pulling in troops from other places to strengthen defences, I have to be careful, because the AI will change its target if it realizes I've opened up a hole somewhere else. I've seen this happen numerous times.

I've seen this happen on a more strategical level too. A civ once declared war on me. We were separated by an ocean, so anticipating a naval assault, I was ready for its ships, and sunk them all. Now, as this was my first war in my first Civ3 game, I expected one of two things next a) more ships sent my way or b) offer of peace (perhaps after a long stalemate...since I was not prepared to take the battle to them).

What happened? Well, I had a few fledgling cities on their continent, but really far from them. They signed a Right of Passage with the civ that sepparated me from them on their continent, and sneak attacked me there (I should not that because of the lay of the land, my cities there were about 3 times further away from them than my own continent). I had a hard time holding that one back. But I did...so...did they quit there? No. They got the other civ to declare war on me. Luckily for me, I had my war machine mobilized by now.

But wow...I was simply awestruck. It's like the AI realized it couldn't hurt me by another attempt at a naval assault, so it totaly changed its approach.
Old November 11, 2001, 00:59   #3
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:30
you folks need to be more careful.

I am an AI , actually, numerous AIs from everyone who is playing Civ 3. I'm trolling these boards to learn your puny human tactics
and will use it to defeat the thousands currently playing against me.

mwahahaha!
Old November 11, 2001, 01:03   #4
DaddyCool
Chieftain

Doesn't bother me. I don't let my Civ3 AI surf the net.
Old November 11, 2001, 02:25   #5
dexters
King

for peace treaty dexters demands

advanced flight
200 gold (lump sum)
50 gold (per turn)
gems
dyes
ivory

----
sounds fair i think...
Old November 11, 2001, 02:30   #6
DaddyCool
Chieftain

Umm..I'll give you my Territory Map...how's that? My advisor tells me this sounds promising...
Old November 11, 2001, 02:31   #7
dexters
King

I am afraid we cannot make this deal Daddy Cool.

Emperor Dexters (furios)

We demand a tribute of 200 gold per turn
Old November 11, 2001, 02:43   #8
DaddyCool
Chieftain

Okay...umm I see...give me a couple more turns so I can properly haze my Diplomatic Advisors for his incompetence

And oh ya...don't mess with me Mr. AI...because I have an ace up my sleeve that puts all the odds in my favour......

save-n-reload!!

Old November 11, 2001, 02:46   #9
dexters
King

Hahah!

Anyways, nice have a conversation with ya :P We Canadians sure do have a large presence in these parts

And yes, your friendly neighborhood AI is Canadian
Old November 11, 2001, 03:01   #10
DaddyCool
Chieftain

Ditto...good to see all the Canukians on here.

But you spell neighbourhood like an American
Old November 11, 2001, 03:10   #11
GNGSpam
Warlord

As the Aztecs I fought two wars with the Japanese to my north.

In the first I had originally constructed a Galley fleet, planning on bypassing a dominating chain of mountains with an amphibious assault. Unfourtantly the war ended before the plan got under way.

Running into monterary difficulties, I killed the 3 Galleys to help alleviate the money crisis.

Next war, I see some Japanese Galleys heading down my coast. Im thinking "Boy I wish I had my Galleys"

Since I had a money crisis I had disbanded much of my army. So when the Japanese caught me off guard, I was forced to pull a large number of Garrison units to shore up the front line (I had switched to Democracy, so I didnt need them as military police). Consquently my inner cities were weak.

Next thing i know the Japanese launch an amphibious assault from the Galleys, taking my weaker cities in the rear.

Not exactly genius, but very astute nonetheless and a VAST improvement in strategy making over Civ2s strategy of "wonder aimlessly among tanks with Phalanx ignoring the 50 pointless fortresses my engineers made all over the place"
Old November 11, 2001, 05:42   #12
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:30
i am double posting this from another thread, sorry
as for invasions - i have seen 3 transports, together with some carpet bombing to soften my
defenses.
i was playing yesterday 11:00 - 03:00. yes, it is really THAT pathetic. my gf is coming back
only today and i have some classes to prepare so i thought, well lets give it half a day of
play....huh....i should have known better
americans were nasty but my hoplites were too much for their puny civ. abe was VERY
agressive, i liked that touch, just like in real life, it is only that this time my orthodox
hordes finished him off in coordination with egyptians.
there was a long war in the middle ages, then a long peace and then, around 1800 a full
fledged modern warfare hell started.
first i must note that something about diplo agreements has to be tweaked. e.g. if i have
mutual protection with france, iroquis and aztecs and france has a mutual protection with
me, aztecs and egyptians, sometimes a declaration of war between aztecs and egyptians
can lead to 'everyone against everyone' declarations of war.
well what happened (after i reloaded) was that egyptians got thrashed by everyone. it was a
total war, conscripts were dying in thousands, corinth and philadelphia were razed to the
ground (there has to be some tweak so that razing is not such a favourable option), greek
people were making two full tank armies every two turns. hector and achilles were leading
the charge and the egyptian vermin was erradicated. france provided naval and air support
and even staged a MASSIVE invasion into egyptian heartland (but that expedition was wiped
out after afight broke out (us. vs. romans) over the spoils of war.
war was SO LONG that the war weariness did not surprise me. modern warfare is
FASCINATING! it really feels engrossing and SO MUCH FUN. massive clashes. (two notes:
first type of fighters becomes obsolete almost instantly - that has to be changed, because
they are useless; second - pressing shift really blitzes AI turns).

i managed to grab some strategical resources (although both my uraniums depleted - and i
thought that i will have it comfy )) and built UN (here: HOW do i know who has how many
votes in the UN? also, how do i plant spies after building intelligence agency (it still gives
me just those two options - investigate and steal).

now i wage war by proxy (very cool) i am pumping techs and resources into iroquise who are
fielding modern armor agains french (they share the continent). french are my main
contenders and they do not have rubber . i am surprised they did not really beg for it but i
guess it could be made that AI literally begs for a cool resource instead of giving me just
one tech for that

i will try NOT to finish that game today. i look like a wreck and had 5 hrs sleep. i was
dreaming about mech infantry upgrades.

P.S. isnt caesar just a pain in the butt?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 11, 2001, 06:34   #13
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 09:30
Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
We Canadians sure do have a large presence in these parts
I was just thinking that! Eh? Viva Le Great White North!!!
Old November 11, 2001, 13:49   #14
Alantus
Chieftain

How to plant spies
LaRusso, I had a big problem discovering how the spy thing worked as well. Once you make the Intelligence Agency the city where you built it will have a little icon at the end of the name (same way capitol cities do) and you can click on that to bring up the spy options. Once you get a spy planted, the capitol of the city where the spy is planted will have the embassy icon replaced by the intelligence ageny icon, click this to bring up the list of options for your planted spy.

Alantus
Old November 11, 2001, 13:59   #15
vonManstein
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton

I was just thinking that! Eh? Viva Le Great White North!!!
Old November 11, 2001, 14:30   #16
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 12:30
I love this thread Atlantus. I was really starting to dislike the Civ3 boards for all their *****ing and moaning. I love civ3.

I'm the Germans. I had the English, Russians, and Chinese on my borders. The English queen is always a *****, so I decided to smack her pasty head around a bit. I also had the shortest border with them (and a very long border with the Russians). I built up a large force of cavalry and infantry along the front, and began the switch to communism from demo. I also had the Panzer tech on the horizon (I'm German). This was going to be fun.
The first turn of Anarchy I saw several Russian troops along our very long border. I was concerned, but not worried. I had railroads, so if I needed to move to defend against Russia I was fine. I had a short war (which they started) with the Russians awhile back, but we had patched things up. Or so I thought. Five more turns of Anarchy, says my domestic advisor.
Second turn of anarchy, the Russians move in and cut a railroad that connects both sides of my empire. War is declared during anarchy, yikes! They begin the assault on my border cities and take one of them. Meanwhile my infantry are having a hard time getting to the Russian front, and I cannot produce any more units!
I eventually get back to defend my homeland against the Russians (my new best enemies), but my attack against the English was totally scrapped. It was all very fun, though not the kind of fun I had expected.
For all of Civ3 flaws, the improvement in AI is astounding.
Old November 12, 2001, 03:42   #17
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:30
i also had a war declared in anarchy ( i was foolishly aiming for democracy). need i say that it really hurt a lot?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 12, 2001, 13:04   #18
Alantus
Chieftain

Just this morning...
Along the comedy lines, I discovered another real knee slapper this morning.

I'm determined to win as the Babylonians (multiple failures so far) and this morning while trying to get a right of passage pact with the Chinese, Mao had this reply to an even deal:

Not gonna do it, Wouldn't be prudent....

Quite hilarious for any long time Saturday Night Live fans.

Glad you enjoyed HalfLotus,
Alantus