Old November 11, 2001, 07:11   #1
8Jon8
Settler

Local Time: 17:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
So letīs make a WishList for the Patch..
First Iīm not sure if there is already such a thread yet, but as far as I can see, there are lot of threads complaining about this and that, so it would perhabs be helpfull for the guys of Firaxis to summarize what Civers wish to have fixed the more urgently in the first Civ3 Patch..

Also, we should try to keep realistic, first coming up with suggestions that seeem feasable for anyone knowing how complex such a Game encoding becomes at a certain level..

Hereīs a start:

1. Fix the basics of the editor:
a. Ability to place starting positions (hell! I donīt get whatīs so hard allowing such a basic command, should have been there from the scratch..
b. Ability to add as much Govtīs, Units, whatever to the rules (so tha playaz can tweak the gameplay to itīs best )
c. FLAT maps!!

2. Extermination of such obviously ridiculous bugs like
a. +1000000 gold through negotiation
b. unbelievably high corruption levels
c. air superiority & coastal fortresses uneffectiveness

3. Fixing of huge gameplay jeopardizers like
a. too weak Nukes
b. AI that hardly respects International Boundaries.. Aaargh!

4. etc..

PS some Apolyton Vets might grin at my Settler Okt.2001 status, but let me tell them in advance: i already have been Civing yet before some of them have, playing Civ1, 2, NET, MP, CTP1&2 ( the most ugly indeed), Tot for about ten years now, so *** up !
Old November 11, 2001, 07:23   #2
cerebros
Settler

Local Time: 16:32
Stacked unit movement (i.e. not having to use armies to move large groups of units)
Old November 11, 2001, 07:40   #3
Baloo
Chieftain

BRING BACK BRIAN REYNOLDS!

He'll bring back innovations to the Civilization franchise and bring to an end to the dearth of creativity in Firaxis.

Now for a more realistic tone, I just want a better (civ, map, gov't types, tech) editor coming in with the second patch or even an X-pack. The game is good with all the new but few features, but it's not what I expect it to be. Hence, I've lost the enthusiasm and will forego any chance to see faster patching in the game for better, complete fix.

And if the game will not be fixed at the end....aah, I don't care anymore. There are plenty of good games out there. It surely wouldn't be missed.
Old November 11, 2001, 09:15   #4
David Murray
Prince

Most important thing is the editor--it would be great if we had the ability to add things in/change things by ourselves instead of wishing Firaxis had done it. Esp. diplomatic arrangements and unit properties....
Old November 11, 2001, 09:21   #5
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:32
When a city depletes pollution the square is not worked until the pollution is cleaned.
In big megalopolises evey square can make the difference between a starving and non-starving city, and pollution pops up pretty often. It is VERY annoying to clean that pollution and then to remember to tell the workers in the city to start working on that square again. So I hope they will make this automatic.
Old November 11, 2001, 10:50   #6
James7654
Settler

Local Time: 10:32
'R' does not work for building (R)ailroad improvements with your workers. Instead, you have to click on the railroad icon.
Old November 11, 2001, 11:04   #7
Trifna
King

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What would you say of implementing such a neat feature as the one in thw news today?... Make important ressources easier to point out with tags. Of course, these could be toggled on and off.
Old November 11, 2001, 11:08   #8
Yohan
Chieftain

James,

Shift-R does railroad, not just R.
Old November 11, 2001, 11:13   #9
boojumhunter
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:32
Option to pause on various alerts. Some that come to mind are:
a) Pause on city revolt...
b) Pause when there is one turn left before Starvation
c) Pause when there is one turn left before population add
(Selectable by city)... Rushing that Granary before
losing all the surplus is rather important
Old November 11, 2001, 11:25   #10
Akron
Prince

A minimap for the editor is absolutely essential!

How about a better diplomacy screen that will allow you to view all the foreign relations in a table? Shift-right clicking every time I want to see that ninth person is incredibly tedious. I want to be able to see all the relations at once.
Old November 11, 2001, 11:33   #11
Raen
Settler

Local Time: 14:32
Quote:
Originally posted by boojumhunter
Option to pause on various alerts. Some that come to mind are:
a) Pause on city revolt...
b) Pause when there is one turn left before Starvation
c) Pause when there is one turn left before population add
(Selectable by city)... Rushing that Granary before
losing all the surplus is rather important
I'd like the option to pause on virtually every message. Pollution is one I'd really like. And I don't think a city should EVER start building something new without asking me; currently when it finishes a military unit it just starts something new without telling me.

This and default starting locations on scenario maps are my two biggest wishes.
Old November 11, 2001, 13:06   #12
deanco
Settler

Bring back sentry mode. Am I the only one who really, really misses this? Sentry was my auto-pause and center on hotspot method of tracking enemy movements. Of course, as it stands now, the way the AI cruises around the world like Saturday night at the drive-in, Sentry mode would probably be more trouble than it's worth. So maybe I could add to the request, reduce the random, 'moving to be doing something' movement of troops as well. That might speed up the time between turns as well.

Make Chieftan and Prince MUCH easier to beat than they are now. No one here plays on these levels, they are for beginners only. People new to the game. And as such they should be ridiculously easy to beat. Once they've won a couple and want to go to King, heheh, well then, every man for himself. But that first game is crucial, after all, it's a big time investment on the part of the player.

A way to see everything about strategic resources on one page. Who has 'em, who needs 'em, who has extra ones, and where known deposits are located on the map. From there I can go to the diplomacy screen and not waste time. I see the resource thing as the most radical new gameplay element in Civ 3, along with the corruption/military nerfs. The player has got to be able to see this simply, clicking on that tiny "D" in the corner of the screen and stepping through menus 15 times just doesn't cut it.

There's more, but that's enough for now.

DeanCo--
Old November 11, 2001, 14:23   #13
Draco of GL
Settler

Local Time: 10:32
A slider on the world creation to vary the amount of resources. In the games I've played the resources are few and far between, usually making me expand my empire a lot more than I feel comfortable doing, plus creating a Corruption headache. Trading doesn't always help, because I'm usually way ahead of the other civs tech-wise, and a lot of times they can't see the resources in their empire because they haven't discovered Steam Engine/Refining/Gunpowder/whatever yet.

Auto-pause on Disorder is a great suggestion. Sentry mode for troops is something I miss a lot from Civ2. Civs that respect national boundaries is a GREAT suggestion: how often in RL is Canada going to walk across the border and start building roads? Suggestion for Civ4: a Wonder/Sm Wonder/city improvement called "Border Patrol": other Civs have to ask permission to cross into your nation (for non-espionage units, of course)

As another addendum to the borders thing: if you tell a civ to get his units off your land, they have to leave the same direction they came in from. I've had several times when a neighboring country has crossed into my nation (say, from the west), and after I told him to get lost, he moved his units across my eastern border, which was exactly what his purpose was in the first place. My demands accomplished nothing even tho they were obeyed. Basically what I'm saying is that if a civ wants to stretch his empire across mine (essentially sandwiching me in between), go around me, not through me.

Chris
Old November 11, 2001, 14:45   #14
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Another thread on this that has a lot of posts/ideas:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=32416

Markos: Maybe we could get one, offical thread sometime, and you could top it? It would make everyone's lifes easier, and would probably make it much easier Faraxis to listen... or you could just top one of the existing ones and make it official...

-- adaMada
Old November 11, 2001, 15:34   #15
Ancientfool
Chieftain

Cultural city capture needs fixing. Different effects for different eras (ancient, medieval, industrial, modern).

I can see whole cities defecting routinely in the ancient era and maybe in the medieval era but not in the industrial or modern eras. Nationalism has too strong a hold at this point. Even conquered cities during this time shouldnt be able to overthrow/convert massive enemy armies. The french may have had a great culture but it didnt convince the german army to join france and it certainly didnt let them get Paris back 2 days after it was captured.

For the industrial and modern eras you could just have a small population loss when the "city loss" flag is triggered. For the modern era this might also include a "brain drain" penalty for the city in question. For example some penalty to its science or something as its best and brightest are lured away.