Old November 11, 2001, 12:41   #1
gachnar
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I built the Iron Works!
Yay!

I built the Iron Works in Thessalonica!

And it was against all odds. About 5 turns after I built Thessalonica, whose sole purpose was to harvest Iron needed to brutally murder Rome and Egypt (didn't work by the way), the Iron deposit depleted.

Then, 2 turns later, a new Iron deposit was found, in the square right next to where it was depleted. Then int about 1620 Coal appeared nearby. I never noticed... it was under a mine...

So when it finished building its hospital the Governor recommends building the Iron works. After a few shocked moments, I decided I'd have to.

I mean. How many players have that chance?

So. This is for all of you. A player got the Iron Works.

I dont even know what it does.

But I do know its way too improbable to find a city that can ever build it.
Old November 11, 2001, 12:46   #2
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 09:33
I built it once as well. It would be a huge thing for a OCC game. I predict the first spaceship OCC deity win will have iron works. Too bad it is usually based on blind luck.

btw it increases production in the city
Old November 11, 2001, 12:56   #3
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 10:33
is this a minor wonder? do you need iron and coal in the same city or just iron and coal together? what does it require? (science wise)
Old November 11, 2001, 13:26   #4
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

It's a Small Wonder, requires Iron and Coal to be in the city radius (the 2-square one) of a single city, and adds 100% to production. I've had it twice in six games now. It's actually a LOT easier to get if you just play on small maps; you're more likely to only have a few mountain ranges, which tends to force the coal and iron to be near each other.

Is it worth it? Not if the city has decent corruption. Unless you're lucky enough to have these resouces near your capital/Forbidden Palace, you'll just end up with another city with tons of pollution.
Old November 11, 2001, 14:22   #5
gachnar
Chieftain

I understand now
Yeah. Production is really silly now.

Important to remember that most cities that can build this are already huge production cities, since they are usually next to mined hills and mountains.

Factory: 4 turns.

As for Corruption, the city was built to grab iron because at the time it was easier to defend a city than a colony (Romans and Egyptians were all over the place). Otherwise, I would have just placed a colony from my capital. Thesselonica borders on Athens.

Corruption is very small.

Since the world just signed a series of millitary alliances against me, I'm looking forward to flying many, many bombing runs across their fields of musketmen.
Old November 11, 2001, 16:53   #6
Laszlo
Warlord

Local Time: 12:33
I could've almost built in one of my large map games. I went to my trade advisor to look at where the resources were coming from, and I saw both the iron and coal were near Houston.

But when I went in to check, I saw that the coal was one square out of reach. To build it I'd have to move over a pretty large and established city or build a small one using only a few sqaures sandwiched in between. In what I've seen of my world, it seems pretty hard to come by.
Old November 11, 2001, 17:02   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 17:33
Personally I'd allow any city to build it that were connected by rail to the resources, but only keep the boost while still linked. Hoping the editor tools will allow me to do things like that soon...
Old November 11, 2001, 19:23   #8
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:33
Other Ideas
Ironworks is another great concept in Civ3. If a city has 2 specific types of resources in it's borders it should be able to build these unique improvements.

If anyone has any ideas for other Small Wonders using the "Resources must be in City Radius" I would be interested in hearing them here or at this post - http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=33538
Old November 12, 2001, 06:14   #9
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 12:33
Just out f curiosity (because I haven't built I.W. yet), does it add to polution?