Old November 11, 2001, 14:11   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 10:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
some random strategies
I have been playing civ3 for 2 days now. I played for almost 10 hours nonstop yesterday! I am already addicted to this game. Civ3 is just so much fun!

Anyhow, I thought It couldn't hurt to post my thoughts on good strategies.

Ancient Times

- expand fast to secure as much territory and ressources as possible. If you don't find any iron, you will be in big trouble.

-expand but do not completely neglect infrastructure. Build temples fairly early. If you neglect culture, you will be in big trouble as your cities will defect to your neighbors. You will undoubtly have some gaps between your borders. The AI will plant down a city in those gaps, guaranteed. Don't panic. If your culture is good, those cities will defect to you. The AI is building cities for you, almost. If the cities don't defect then you will easily be able to conquer as they are pop 1 with just a warrior defending. Either way, don't worry too much. Stay focused on your expansion and on acquiring the important ressources.

-make a beeline for "iron working", especially if you are the romans or the persians. It is one of the best early techs because it reveals iron which is one the most important early ressources. It also lets you build the swordsman which is one of the best early units. If you are the romans or the persians then you really want this tech as early as possible because your special unit depends on it. If you get either the legion or the immortal before others, you will be a very mighty force.

-research will be slow because you have a limited science infractructure. You are busy expanding so your cities are being held back at 1 or 2 pop so they are not producing much gold. The best way to stay afloat research wise is to trade techs. I found the AI to be fairly easy to trade the early techs with.

- Forget the nonessential techs as move on the next age as soon as possible unless there is a tech you really need. I think it is best to move on to the next age right away because it will have better techs that it will help you overcome your opponents.

Middle Ages

The name of the game here is to consolidate your empire. Your expansion phase should be long done now, and it is time to build up your empire fast.

- Focus on infrastructure to develop your science. Make sure that all your cities have at lest courthouses, librairies and aqueducts. Build universities as soon as possible.

-Get out of despotism. Switch to either monarchy if you are the war type or get to republic if you are more the builder peaceful type.

-Make a beeline either for Astronomy or gunpowder.

I have much more but I am really busy.

Industrial age, modern age and other strategies coming soon...
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"