Old November 13, 2001, 02:19   #31
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MidKnight Lament
Guess what I'll be doing tonight?
Same thing we do every night, MKL. Try to take over the World!!!

Biscuit Tin is 109.95, SE is 99.95.
Pfft, $10 for the tin alone is worth it!!
(Which is actually quite good, because nothing else in the LE is worth it)

If it werent for uni, I would be playing right now. As it is, im erm, doing my assignment...
Old November 13, 2001, 06:02   #32
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 02:34
Arghh!
Went to EB Winston Hills this arvo and they said it wouldn't be in till later today or early tomorow. So I reserved myself an SE, the staff people tried to convince me to get LE but I have yet to understand the logic of paying $10 for a tin.

Either way, they said they'd call me when it got in. It's almost 11:00PM and I'm still waiting...Guess it's tomorrow morning then

P.S. As for the Kiwi's, I'm sure that Civ3 was going to be shipped to NZ from Australia by Ansett. =P
Old November 13, 2001, 06:18   #33
MrRogers
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:34
i dont know who shipped it but it took a freakin long time.
it just got into *some* stores in akl today, and *should* be in wellington tomoro, and in my house the day after. but then theyve been saying that for 2 weeks. AT LEAST ITS FINALLY IN THE COUNTRY!
bloody australians....
Old November 13, 2001, 06:27   #34
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Hydey has Civ 3 , played a couple of hours and said "I will go to bed soon" not in bed yet just paused to post and then I will have one more turn.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old November 13, 2001, 07:27   #35
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
i dont know who shipped it but it took a freakin long time.
Hey, be grateful. If it wasnt for infogames slothful incompetence, today (or tomorrow) wouldnt be a special day. It would just be another day we're playing Civ, rather than THE day we actually get Civ

I should be going to sleep now, but those damned French....
Old November 13, 2001, 19:39   #36
AustralianJeremy
King

Local Time: 01:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
LOL

Pity me ... it's out, but I can't buy it till I've finished my 9000 words of essays... 3000 to go...

(so tempted to run out and buy it anyway, but Mel would kill me...)
Old November 13, 2001, 21:50   #37
Biggles266
Settler

I got a call about 12:30PM here at work yesterday and managed to drive up to Garden City EB at lunch and pick the game up.

$110 LE tin. The SE was $100. If the SE was $90 I would have bought it instead, but with only $10 in it...

I'm considering reinstalling the 'demo' version that I have been playing though because it goes straight to the main menu without trying to play the video. Is there any way to turn that off? Maybe you can delete the .BIK files... I'll try it tonight.

I might add that I am fairly impressed that EB calls so promptly. And they had to call my mobile too. When I got there they had just opened the box and had it behind the counter. Has eveybody else been seeing it on the shelves?
Old November 14, 2001, 00:53   #38
MidKnight Lament
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Bwaaaahahahahahaaawww! And indeed I had a good crack at it last night. Hearing how everybody was getting whooped in their first few games I thought I'd take it easy, kick back and enjoy a leisurely game of chieftan. I'm up to about 300AD I think, and all is well. I'm on top in every respect and don't expect to be toppled in a hurry. I've got a lot of iron and horses (although in the back of my mind something's screaming that this means I won't have any saltpeter later on. ) Better not gt too comfortable yet.

I had good fun, but didn't have too much trouble getting to bed at a reasonable time. Tonight however I've got to work pretty late, so I'll only get about an hour or so in, and tomorrow night's going to be similar, albeit with more social activities. I'll give it a good crack on the weekend.

Btw, I payed $99 for mine. A little exploititive, but I guess when I'm demanding, they can supply at any 'ol rate they like.

Best of luck with getting your hands on a copy, everyone. I even hope those NZers get it. [grin]
Old November 14, 2001, 00:56   #39
MidKnight Lament
King

Ooh, speaking of getting too comfortable, I only just got an email from my gf, who was looking good in her game, but just sent this:

"My civ game fell in a heap when I joined a mutual protection pact with the next most powerful civ (well, the most powerful militaristically) who were on the other continent - anyway, through a complex system of alliances, the egyptians who were right next to me marched in and started razing all my cities (nothing culture can do about _that_....sigh...). In about 2 turns, I'd lost about 6 cities, my horses, my iron and then all my cities decided to go into civil disorder at once. so I retired. "

I can't help but feel a little nervous. I better watchthose mutual protection pacts.
Old November 14, 2001, 18:24   #40
Dale
Emperor

Don't ya just hate it when EB Northland calls ya and says "We got your copy of Civ3!" but you were expecting it on the 19th and ya spent all ya pay and don't get paid till the 19th and ya missus won't give ya the $80 ya need to pick it up?
Old November 15, 2001, 00:13   #41
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Saw it in the shops but didn't buy it

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 15, 2001, 04:39   #42
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:34
Saw it in the shops with the "nice" yellow "coming soon" sticker.
Translation : Another several days to go further west.

I don't think I'll be getting it either without the necessary scenario tools. Problem is that with the "distribution" or relative lack thereof here, I may not get another chance for months if I don't get it straight away. (sigh)
Decisions decisions...
Old November 15, 2001, 05:46   #43
Skanky Burns

I did take over the world on Regent level. Second game.
The first game, i started in hills, and my best producing square was a jungle

So restarted, and ammassed an army of 5 swordsmen, then attacked Russia. First turn of the offensive, i moved all five swordsmen 1 square away from Moscow. After my turn, Russia decided to attack with three swordsmen, killing two of mine and making the other elite . My turn again, had riots everywhere due to lost luxuries, ran out of money. Lost one legion of swordsmen to the accountants . Finally attacked with my two remaining units, both died. Thus ended my first invasion attempt.

It went much better after i got knights.
Old November 15, 2001, 17:58   #44
BigNick
Chieftain

Quote:
Problem is that with the "distribution" or relative lack thereof here, I may not get another chance for months if I don't get it straight away. (sigh)
Rav,

Don't know if you've heard of it, but there's this funky thing called mail order. It might take a few days to get a parcel across the Nullarbor, but you can usually get stuff cheaper than you can over-the-counter.

Try Games Warehouse or The Gamesmen. Both are Australian places that'll do mail order fairly reliably. Because I work in Sydney City - which makes Grace Bros the only accessible software shop - I end up buying most of my software by mail order, either from Games Warehouse or direct from the US.
Old November 15, 2001, 19:59   #45
dnassman
Warlord

Finally got mine last night after search quite a few stores until one of them told me that it wasn't schedule to be released until tomorrow. However they said what the heck and I was the first to purchase it from this store. Didn't end up getting home until 12 midnight and after installing it and having a few turns it was 3am. Ooops I have to get up at 7am for work. Damn and I wasn't even tired yet. I'm feeling pretty knackered today though. Can't wait for the weekend.
Old November 15, 2001, 20:18   #46
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:34
Quote:
Originally posted by BigNick

Rav,

Don't know if you've heard of it, but there's this funky thing called mail order. It might take a few days to get a parcel across the Nullarbor, but you can usually get stuff cheaper than you can over-the-counter.

Try Games Warehouse or The Gamesmen. Both are Australian places that'll do mail order fairly reliably. Because I work in Sydney City - which makes Grace Bros the only accessible software shop - I end up buying most of my software by mail order, either from Games Warehouse or direct from the US.
Thanks. Didn't know there were any Australian-based (and hence more easily accountable) places like that. I'm afraid I pretty much fall into the "once bitten, twice shy" category when it comes to mail orders. Get burned once and you're not inclined to try it again.
Old November 15, 2001, 22:33   #47
BigNick
Chieftain

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't know there were any Australian-based (and hence more easily accountable) places like that.
No wuckers. Actually, Games Warehouse (see the link earlier in the thread - I can't be bothered putting it in again) actually tends to be cheaper than most places, especially if you order more than one game at once. They generally give a discount of $5-15 from RRP, and charge $6/shipment.

I've had pretty good success with them, too - only once did the game not arrive within a few days. When I called them back they put another copy in the post. Both games arrived the same day, so I just sent one of them back.
Old November 18, 2001, 06:05   #48
ptahs27
Settler

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 in Perth!
Civ3 has finally arrived from the eastern states and is available in perth! I saw it on friday at EB in Hay st City.

Both the SE and the LE tin are available for $99.95 and $109.95 respectively

YAY!