Old November 11, 2001, 23:21   #1
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 16:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My impressions thus far
Hello all. My it has been quite a long time since I visited the forums, but I figured I would make my grand return in honor of this MOMENTOUS occasion.

Well, I have to say that I've spent the last few nights yelling at my computer... at those dastardly French!

The game tin on the other hand has been placed on my mantle with candles surrounding it. It's just below my portrait of Sid Meier astride his white battle horse.

I love this game.

I liked having borders. I like the new negotiation features and diplomatic states. I like the War-Time feature. Culture is also a very nice addition. I like the separation of Workers and Settlers. I like not having trade units or diplomatic units as well. Upgrading units... always a plus. I also love the new way air campaigns are done... I hated having the air units move the way they used to!

I have to say though, with all of the new things to keep track of in this new game, I find it to be a lot more difficult! Because of the need to keep the people very happy and the extra improvement and unit costs that I was never used to having before, I normally have to keep my science rate between 30 and 50% on average! This means that I usually end up at 2050 AD with only an industrial civilization. My first game I started, I didn't build the space ship until 2300 AD!

I'll get used to it.

I do, naturally, have a few problems with it. I am very pleased with the new trade in this game, but I am somewhat bothered by the lack of supply lines. My dream of economic warfare shall never be completely fulfilled. My blockades can stop the enemy from building any new defensive units, but what about the ones already in the city? How does a blockade affect the civilization otherwise?? Oh well, I can live with this because its still very good the way it is.

And perhaps the diplomacy could have a few more options like in Call to Power 2. And the lack of armies like in Call to Power 2 is a little bit bothersome, but the way the combat is set up in this game counter-acts that to a degree.

Ummmm... there are also some bugs that I find rather quirky.

When I built my Stealth Bombers, I was ready to get into a war with the French. Now... I tried using the precision bombing feature, but I found that the only cities I can bomb are my own...

Oh well. I am sure a patch will fix this problem, so I am not concerned.

Meanwhile, I have only one further comment... As long as a patch comes out to give me a scenario editor of a DECENT quality, I will be happy... If not... I WILL ABSOLUTELY GO INSANE! I MUST HAVE MY SCENARIOS!

Well, I am, all in all, impressed and satisfied. Fix these small problems and I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...