Old November 12, 2001, 01:51   #1
Malthis
Settler

Local Time: 08:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What happened to the Modern Age?
The Modern Era needs work. Frankly, it's very uninspiring and has little to offer unless you're into building spaceships. Perhaps in the "Gold" edition or whatever the later release will be they can add more scientific achivements, such as Internet, Global Economy, ect... New small wonders could be added, such as WTC once you have Global Economy (in a nod to our dearly departed one) or city improvements like SKYSCRAPER which might do nothing but increase culture of those cities that have resources to build it. Regardless of what specifically they do, it should be more expansive and inventive in the modern era in later releases.
Old November 12, 2001, 01:56   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 11:35
Yeah! And what about a Texas barbecue festival? They left that out, too. And why isn't Elton John a great wonder?
Old November 12, 2001, 02:44   #3
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:35
If you like lots of wonders, techs, units, and improvements in the Modern age you may want to check out Call to Power 2, if you haven't done so already.
Old November 12, 2001, 02:45   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 09:35
or something to decrease corruption
Old November 12, 2001, 05:51   #5
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
Hm I've been enjoying my modern era so far. Though the techs do accumulate really quick, making many units obsolete in moments. There is also still the surge of buildings to build all at once (solar plant, research lab, recycling center, sam battery, airport etc), but it's somewhat better than in Civ2 (no farmland/supermarkets comes to mind).

No I like it. The world is more dynamic too -enemies are at your doorstep with modern, fast units and a full assault could wreak a lot of havoc with coastal and aereal bombardments and swift invasions. Keeps a bit of tension on the player.
Old November 12, 2001, 05:54   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Yeah! And what about a Texas barbecue festival? They left that out, too. And why isn't Elton John a great wonder?
My, you really are working hard to make your posts valuable, rewarding and constructive. If you feel after significant gameplay that the modern age is balanced, suitably paced and works well, why not just say so like Grim Legacy did?
Old November 12, 2001, 06:37   #7
Libertarian
King

Quote:
If you feel after significant gameplay that the modern age is balanced, suitably paced and works well, why not just say so like Grim Legacy did?
A reasonable question. I'll tell you why.

I came to this message board for the express purpose of learning more about Civ3. At the time I arrived and began lurking, there was no MB on the Internet to rival it. I eagerly awaited delivery of my software as I read all the threads about all the new features of Civ.

Just when everybody was getting their first copies, all Hell broke loose. Instead of an organized, civilized, and constructive single top thread for reporting bugs and suggestions, the place devolved into a riot, a gang rape — thread after thread appeared, each nothing more than a merciless and scathing rebuke of people who had worked all hours of the day and night, doing the very best that they could, under heavy constraints and pressure, to deliver to us a quality product.

They did that. And then some. Sure, there were bugs. Sure, there were some things that could have been done some other way, possibly even a better way. But how that fact justified the wholesale hackjacking of a very decent group of people is way beyond me.

As I searched for tips, hints, and information about the game, I had to wade through piles of sh!t that reached to the sky. "Damn you, Firaxis!" "Worthless scum, how dare you forget this or that editor feature!" "Dan and Soren are greed whores, pure and simple!" "Let's boycott the worthless bastards who toiled for nothing!"

Forgive me, but I quickly lost all patience with it. It seems to be subsiding just a hair, but now new people are arriving, and how the Opening Poster could have missed any one of the bazillion threads already here logging complaints and suggestions is mind boggling. So, what do we get? Yet another friggin' useless rant about something that AIN'T GONNA CHANGE.

Our behavior toward Dan and Soren and the others ought to embarrass us. If anyone is to blame for a rushed schedule or a premature release, it is Infogrames, not Firaxis. If you have one shred of empathy, then you can imagine how those guys must feel when their incredibly excellent work is ravaged and ridiculed by unappreciative spolied brats throwing stones in their houses made of glass.

I'm not gonna put up with it. Neither should you. You're a king, after all.
Old November 12, 2001, 06:49   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
I'm not gonna put up with it. Neither should you. You're a king, after all.
Aw, shucks. Post quantity is not necessarily an indicator of post quality, as I think any long standing members could tell you. I'd just suggest that if you feel the need to bite back at some posts (I know I do) it adds to the problem, by keeping the spam and bile at the top of page 1, knocking down the quality content, unless you do so in a calm and constructive way. Like your last post, which was much nicer to read, thank you

I think the content went downhill in the run up to the game going gold because all the creative minds itching to talk possible inclusions and approaches had to redirect their focus. Nothing new was going to make a difference to the product, and the knowledge that perhaps 0.1% of what was being discussed actually might get attention and be implemented by Firaxis was an important control valve. I've seen it happen on other boards too. 'What if?' and 'How about?' becomes 'If X isnt in, then..' and arguements break out. Sadly the high volume of traffic menas we have had searching turned off too, so new members have to post the same questions over and over to get the answers. Its frustrating but after a couple of months it will hopefully subside.
Old November 12, 2001, 06:59   #9
Libertarian
King

Steady advice, Grumbold. Thanks.

I can't promise that I'll never nip at a smartass, but I'll stay mindful of your caveat and exercise a bit more discretion. For example, I'll refrain from addressing the topic by suggesting that if Firaxis implements the Internet in the modern age, it should require that you first build the Al Gore wonder.

Old November 12, 2001, 06:59   #10
Simpleton
Prince

I agree that the modern era seems a little sparce. I wouldn't add too many techs, units or wonders to this era lest it become like CTP2 where stuff was added just for the sake of adding it with out any thought about the gameplay value of it! Perhaps two techs with one advanced unit and maybe one wonder.
Old November 12, 2001, 07:05   #11
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:

the place devolved into a riot, a gang rape —
The riot was fun but the gang rape....well......it just happened......everybody got a little crazy. Lets just not mention it anymore!