Old November 12, 2001, 19:05   #1
Sniffer
Settler

Local Time: 16:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Drafting Horrors
The computer loves to draft a ton of people before you take a city over--I have noticed that the penalty for this transfers over to you when you take the city. Even worse, this lasts more than the 10 turns that it states in the manual. I took Syracuse from the Greeks and am still having trouble 180 turns later! That makes sabotaging a city through draft a very viable strategy if you want someone else to deal with a lot of pain.

I still hope that they fix this in one of the patches though.
Old November 12, 2001, 19:31   #2
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:38
Hell no we won't go
How do you tell that a city has draft unhappiness or whatever it is? My game is just entering the industrial ages and some of those techs are coming up.

I did notice that a number of cities suddenly dropped in size as my army approached - like a rush built settler. Thing is, they have no gold to rush build with...hmmm...

Venger
Old November 12, 2001, 19:44   #3
VetteroX
Chieftain

Drafting is free.... I think Democracy and Republic Draft 1 citizen per turn, the rest can do 2. You just click the draft button next to rush buy, but you need nationalism. It makes 1 or 2 other citizens upset for 10 turns (God I hate hippies...) it takes 1 point of population per drafted unit. A drafted unit will be of the best tech/resourses defenceive unit avalible, but it will be consrcipt, only 2 hit points. If a communist Gov drafts 2 people, then yes, a city will go down by 2, if they see you closing in on a city, they will draft.
Old November 12, 2001, 19:47   #4
pchang
King

perhaps you can cripple their economy by closing in on one city, backing off, and then closing in on another. this should disrupt their economy. Can you use espionage/propaganda during war time? Haven't tried it. If you can, you might get them to defect without fighting.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old November 12, 2001, 19:49   #5
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by VetteroX
Drafting is free.... I think Democracy and Republic Draft 1 citizen per turn, the rest can do 2. You just click the draft button next to rush buy, but you need nationalism. It makes 1 or 2 other citizens upset for 10 turns (God I hate hippies...) it takes 1 point of population per drafted unit. A drafted unit will be of the best tech/resourses defenceive unit avalible, but it will be consrcipt, only 2 hit points. If a communist Gov drafts 2 people, then yes, a city will go down by 2, if they see you closing in on a city, they will draft.
Aha! That's what that little two HP unit was...I rolled it! Can a conscripted unit advance in stature to normal and elite?

Venger
Old November 12, 2001, 20:25   #6
VetteroX
Chieftain

yep... he can advance all the way. The technical terms are: conscript (Any 2 hp unit) regular 3 Veteran 4 Elite 5