Old November 13, 2001, 12:38   #31
Altuar
Warlord

Local Time: 11:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Guys, I couldnt have cared less for people declaring how bad the game is. Yawn.

But I agree with some of you that late techs come cheap - I play on Monarch, tried a game on Emperor the other day, and that makes the early game too difficult.

So perhaps the best way to increase the challenge of the game throughout all difficulty levels would be to increase the late tech costs - industrial age onwards.

Any ideas how much of an increase is required? Only techs? Should the cost of buildings be increased too? By how much? Help!
Old November 13, 2001, 12:56   #32
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 16:40
Despite the "rushed" nature of the game, many of the issues I have with the game can be fixed with a patch, and with some help from the modding community.

Here's hoping that both will be developing soon.

But there is a great deal to like about this game. The animations and sound effects are actually quite well done. Nothing like seeing that Man 'O War giving a broadside, to make you wish for some great 19th Century naval scenarios. . .

I also like the looks and sounds of the Persian Immortals and Japanese Samurai. . . and those charging Indian War Elephants are terrific. . .

Many aspects of this game are exceptionally well done. . .
Old November 13, 2001, 17:07   #33
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 08:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew
It seems some people just bought the wrong game... if you want a game where you can sit peacefully for centuries & never need a military play SimCity or SimEarth or TheSims... or SimAnt or SimFarm or SimCityStreets or SimSim or Simbad or Simballa or Sim'merDownNow or ...
Hmmm. Who said that, anyway? It wasn't me. I did say that I was forced to continue building a military that went way beyond my need for defense but that's a lot different from not needing any military. I don't consider Wealth to be a good alternative either. First, in the ancient and middle ages it yeilds too little to be worthwhile, and second, my complaint was that there isn't enough to do, not enough decisions to make, and I don't consider setting wealth until the next tech comes out that allows me to build a new city improvement to be a good choice.

What's wrong with trying to live in peace? Too realistic for you? Why do you suppose there are 5 victory conditions now, so that everyone can toss the other 4 and go for domination every game? Not everyone is a warmonger, you know?

Again, my basic complaint is that since many choices have been removed from the game it becomes BORING for long periods of time. (rephrase)

John-SJ