Elizabeth (England) 6 3.64%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12, 2001, 21:21   #1
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The AI Ruler You Fear The Most...
In Civ2 Gengis Khan was always my worst foe. Each of the 16 AI Civs have their own personalities. I was was wondering who everyone thinks is the most challenging Civ3 AI Ruler so far...
Old November 12, 2001, 21:34   #2
mharmless
Chieftain

Germans for me. Seems like every game comes down to a showdown between us. He seems prone to sneak attacks, and quite good at building the remainder of the world (such as it is) into a coalition to exterminate me.
Old November 12, 2001, 23:14   #3
Predatorprey1
Settler

Local Time: 10:41
Freaken russians has always been my worse foe. But on the current map.. The germans are evil sobs! Huge tank battles across the lands that i invaded Their panzers vs my modern tanks heh.
Old November 12, 2001, 23:16   #4
klesh
King

Local Time: 12:41
So far, as playing as the Russians, the Germans are always close by and feel they have the right to be rather demanding all the time..Sheesh.

-FMK.
Old November 13, 2001, 00:03   #5
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

WOW. Soren must have used up the craftiness of his coding all on Bismarck. I've had my problems with him, but I'm floored by how many others did. I wonder if he's seen this thread?
Old November 13, 2001, 00:06   #6
Malkuth
Settler

Local Time: 16:41
I think he said he spent a little more time on some of the Countries leaders. Like Englands Elizeabeth. She is really really annoying sometime. Talk about a stuck up snob.
Old November 13, 2001, 00:11   #7
HugoHillbilly
Warlord

Local Time: 11:41
Ill have to say Cleopatra.

I was alongside her as Alexander and we were good buddies until near the end, then just because I wouldnt ally with her against the romans who was on her other border she wiped me clean off 'her' continent in 3 turns. She razed every one of my cities, leaving me with 1 on an tiny island. Only then I could talk peace with her.

B*tch!!!!

BTW couldnt help noticing you love posting polls, Pyrodrew
Old November 13, 2001, 00:21   #8
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

I agree, that shifty Bismarck is always up to something. I try to get along with him, but somehow things happen and I end up razing Berlin to the ground.
Old November 13, 2001, 00:55   #9
Leonid
Chieftain

Hmm, India can be scary. I am worried about greece because the hoplites are so strong I wonder if they can be defeated with legions heh.
Old November 13, 2001, 01:12   #10
Larz Smith
Settler

for my style of play its the Iroqouis....mostly because the always seem to be next to my civ and theyre such culture building bastards I always lose at least one city to them, being so far away from my own capital.....
Old November 13, 2001, 04:17   #11
nato
Prince

I wonder if Germany is causing so much trouble because they and the Zulus are the only level 5 aggressiveness civs.

So far I'm having no trouble with any AI because they are all very reasonable and peaceful now. In my current game, Germany is again my neighbor. Someday I will get around to building a defender for my cities, but so far I can once again trust him with wide open cities.

If you stay nice and peaceful, skip units until much later and make city improvements! The AI respects borders and barbarians only steal a little gold.
Old November 13, 2001, 04:26   #12
Pyrodrew
Prince

If you have the Barbarians on Raging Hoards you can have 20+ barbarian units appear on the same turn... they can destroy improvements & wipe you dry. Civ2 Barbarians would conquer your cities. If you have a low barbarian setting then you probably have nothing to worry about.

And be sure you sleep with 1 eye open around Bismarck, unless you're on Chieftain.

Quote:
BTW couldnt help noticing you love posting polls, Pyrodrew
Well yes. Not only do they show the facts (which the loud or "post-too-often" people can drown out), but it allows the forum lurkers to give their opinion while remaining silent.

Last edited by Pyrodrew; November 13, 2001 at 04:40.
Old November 13, 2001, 04:29   #13
mrbilll
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:41
Bismarck, hands down. The Russians are troublesome. For some reason, the Zulus never seem to amount to much. But the Germans are a pain in the butt every time they turn up.
Old November 13, 2001, 04:55   #14
LRotan
Chieftain

*lurk*
Old November 13, 2001, 10:28   #15
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 18:41
germans lead early in the game but in my experience they always fall behind in tech race after some time in industrial and i face their panzers with moder armor.
Old November 13, 2001, 14:23   #16
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

One (or more) of the developers knew the Aztecs were a pushover in the first two Civ games and really beefed them up this time. Between agressiveness, military power, expansion, and culture, Montezuma's presence blocks several avenues to a win. The Germans are so aggressive that in the games I've played, they are always at war and fall behind. Germans are irritating but not a threat to victory. The Aztecs (and for some reason, the Russians) are tough to beat on score. The Aztecs also build enough culture to block that win. I shudder when I see them. (Doesn't mean I don't win, but they make it tougher.)
Old November 14, 2001, 11:41   #17
bahoo
Chieftain

The japanese are the most difficult in my game. Though not the toughest, they won't negotiate anything unless it's to there benefit.

It seems as though they have a lot of pride and won't ever accept peace unless you give them a technology or something of equal value so it "feels" like they won. Of course I won't do that, so I have a feeling I'll have to burn Tokyo to the ground before they except that they lost.
Old November 14, 2001, 14:39   #18
Jkondrac

Bismarck is without a doubt the toughest AI ruler. I'm playing on the easy level with all 16 civs. He is the only one that constantly takes my land. All the other civs try, but they fail. Not Bismarck. I really hope I get nukes before the game is over so I can drop a few on him...

Another ruler, that I fear is Ghandi. Not because of his strength, its because of his smarts. At least in the current game that I'm playing, Ghandi has all the civs wrapped around his finger. I can't get one civ to ally with me against him. They all love him.. It makes me sick...

Old November 14, 2001, 16:39   #19
RichM
Chieftain

Shaka always gives me trouble in the early game. He usually gets wiped out first though, I think he bothers the other AI's just as much as he bothers me.
Old November 14, 2001, 19:30   #20
Xard
Settler

I voted Ghandi, just because I never trust a pacifist with that many wrinkles...

As for actual hard enemies:

I normally play as the Germans, and they're pretty good for me, but I *ALWAYS* have the Russians nearby, and their expansionism kicks my ass. Its only in my most recent game of the last 4 or so that I've been able to hold them off, and then launch a counter attack and take Moscow. Now Cathy's empire is split in two and is coming over to me in droves from Cultural differences. Good ole Democracy

In a game as the Persians, I had to deal with Lincoln, and he was pretty nasty as well. He seemed to think that my land was his land, or something like that.
Old November 14, 2001, 21:21   #21
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Well, for some reason I usually end up between the French and germans, and both are bastards. If I go to war with one of them, they'll get the other to back them up. In all my game the Zulus have been stuck with a crappy start location (usually on some peninsula that is nothing but tundra) so they don't give me much trouble.