Old November 13, 2001, 06:28   #1
grey616
Settler

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
deity and patch ideas
after making several attempts at deity and losing pretty bad, i came up with some ideas to make it challenging instead of discouraging. the point of harder difficulty levels is a superior opponent, not a cheating one. here are some ideas i think would alleviate this problem
-remove any production bonuses the computer may have
-make it more reluctant to trade techs (avoids communal research by the ai which indirectly makes all the ai friendly to all the other ai)
-instead, give the ai such bonuses as 30% less corruption
-small reduction in wonder cost, worker times
what i feel this will achieve is make it possible to keep up with ai expansion early on (4 times as fast is just not possible to overcome) but require true playing skills to be able to outperform them as the game develops. this will make the peaceful/scientific approach possible on deity and also allow the creation of even higher difficulties - just increase the science, corruption, and worker bonus.

also, as it stands expansionist is one of the worst civ traits. i think it would be better if instead of better items from barbarians (which doesnt even make sense as the barbarians would be angry at the expansionist civ taking their native land) the expansionist civs had a reduced cost for granaries and aqueducts.
please respond with your comments
Old November 13, 2001, 07:29   #2
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 18:42
well i have played at most at the monarch level and find it fairly easy to beat up (thanks to the resource shortage stronger AIs suffering dont think emperor will be (much) more difficult than that.

did not like the idea of softening deity though. i mean the ideal is to make it play smarter but since that is not an option, "making the game harder though giving bonuses to AI" option is not that bad. i mean if it is frustrating you, you can always play at a lower level.

you know, if you were to beat the most challenging oppponents that the game can offer in a couple of weeks and no multiplayer around, what would you do next?

so my bet is to leave it as is.
Old November 13, 2001, 10:02   #3
Zoetstofzoetje
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:42
Quote:
-make it more reluctant to trade techs (avoids communal research by the ai which indirectly makes all the ai friendly to all the other ai)
Yes, I've noticed this as well... And they all become annoyed with you.. worst part is when you think you're doing pretty well (compared to other deity games) and they finish the great library 10 turns before you, whilst they started on it (probably by some freak accident) much later.