Old November 13, 2001, 07:17   #1
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 18:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pherhaps we grew older
You know, when civ1 was released I was 13 years old.
I remember being very exited, playing day and night. I didn't had to care about responsibilities. The only thing that happened the other day was....... school !
Playing saturday, playing in the evening, and having fun fun fun.

Civ2 was released, I was at the age of 18.
It was still cool, of course not the same exitement as when I played civ1. I already knew the game style, didn't had to discover the amazing way the system works. But it looked great. Worked better.

Now I'm 23 years old.
I like the game, I started to play civ again. (didn't play it that often anymore the past year, besides mp games)
It's not anymore like I'm sitting with sweat hands next to my computer. I'm older, wiser, I have more responsibilities thus I can only play 1 or 2 hours a day. (played some hours at work as well sssst don't tell anybody)

If you expect the same exitement with civ3 as you got with civ2 or / and civ1.......forget it.
But if you compare it with other games.......
I don't care anymore about RTS games. All the C&C stuff...... I don't play it anymore while I used to play it hours and hours in the past.

I don't care about first shooter stuff anymore. I used to play Wolfenstein and Doom often and often. Scared and exited. The last time I played First Shooter was a network game with my brother. He kept on shooting my head off. Boring.

But Civ...... eventhough I grew older, I'm a professional IT-er right now, I 'm going to marry and whatever........ I still like it.
Not like I'm a 13 year old boy anymore...... but I like it,
and when I'm 28 I'm sure that I'll like civ4 !

You would be really immature to expect the same exitement from a game as when you were immature.

CyberShy
Old November 13, 2001, 07:21   #2
LaRusso
King

i am 30
i play at work and i play at home
am i retarded?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 13, 2001, 07:24   #3
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

LaRusso, let's agree to play a good civ5 multiplayer game when I'm 40 and you're 48
Old November 13, 2001, 09:55   #4
LaRusso
King

unless firaxis even then still works on 'some cool features'
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 13, 2001, 10:07   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 17:42
Dammit, I'm getting younger, I tell you!

I agree that the change in ourselves and the world around us has altered our expectations. When computer games first came to my attention I would play 8 colour 8bit spectrum games for weeks, congratulating myself for every hair of extra advantage I managed to extract against the computer. Even Civ I did not suffer that intensity of play. These days I'd be bored rigid because so many more alternatives are available, from dozens of other games, better TV, easier access to other leisure activities and transport to go meet friends. In the meantime my opportunities for playing have shrunk from every hour outside of classes to only those few left after all the RL chores are done. I have high demands of any activity I fill those hours with because it is what makes much of the rest of the weekly grind worthwhile.
Old November 13, 2001, 10:16   #6
MisterMuppet
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:42
I'm 30 and I play PC games every minute my wife will let me.
I remember playing Civ1 at work because I didn't have a PC at home and being kicked out by the security gaurds because it was so late. I got a promotion because everyone thought I was working really hard staying late. Good old "just one more turn."
Without turning this thread into one long Kevin Costner speach, of course your expectations change, you gain a better perspective and you probably become more cynical too.
Just roll with, get in touch with your inner child and look forward to a mid life crisis.
Old November 13, 2001, 10:20   #7
CB2034
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:42
i think ill be playing civ type games till i drink metamucil for breakfast and i have to "depend" on my wife to change my depends
i wonder if moo3 is gonna rock too
Old November 13, 2001, 11:52   #8
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:42
Quote:
when I'm 28 I'm sure that I'll like civ4
I'm 28... where can I get Civ4?
Old November 13, 2001, 12:02   #9
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Responsibilities, schmesponsibilities Cybershy...this is the problem with people my age, they take life too seriously. Life is about fun, enjoying yourself, not worrying about every minute detail, whether you are going to be a devoted husband and how your career is going. You are young, enjoy it! It seems to be the case with so many of my peers, so highly strung and concerned about careers. Lighten up, grow down a bit

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 13, 2001, 12:05   #10
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Provost, I agree........ (aaaaaargh, I think I never said that to you )

BUT how hard I try, I still dislike FPS games....
what should I do to grow down ?
Old November 13, 2001, 12:12   #11
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 08:42
what in the world is wrong with FPS and RTS games?

There is nothing more adrenaline pumping than having to frag your way to the top amid 10-15 other veteran players at 6am in the morning with your daily cup o coffee. Between quake and caffeine, guess which one does the job right?

I've always preferred strategy games though, especially TBS ones, but what is up with the constant put down of the other genres. It's not fair, because those other games are fun. Almost sounds like a middle ages crisis syndrome, where you have to refuse to play the "exciting" and "fast-paced" games only because they are traditionally meant for a younger crowd - which is completely false. Instead we'll lull ourselves into a sense of comfort that the slower turn by turn games are for the mature and wise ones.. LOL! I sure wasn't mature and wise when I started playing civ.
Old November 13, 2001, 12:14   #12
LaRusso
King

um, that was a joke, actually. i enjoyed both red alert and red alert 2 but they quickly turn into unit pumping fest....they are still fun, for a limited time, though
Old November 13, 2001, 12:24   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
There is nothing more adrenaline pumping than having to frag your way to the top amid 10-15 other veteran players at 6am in the morning with your daily cup o coffee. Between quake and caffeine, guess which one does the job right?
I can think of some better alternatives, but they all cost more

I'm no stranger to MMORPG's and they can certainly get adrenaline pumping at times when the whole team is fighting for survival. There is nothing wrong with RTS and FPS games either, I just have no respect for people who feed their ego over having fragged someone else in some meaningless clickfest. If you want to prove your hand-eye co-ordination is the best, become a fighter pilot or racing driver.