Old November 13, 2001, 10:27   #1
Hawksguard
Settler

Local Time: 11:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Trading Questions
Okay, my apologies if these have been answered elsewhere. I was scanning posts yesterday and noticed several people mentioning a "timer" which counts down the number of turns until a trade agreement expires. Since I don't remember seeing this in any of the games I've played thus far, I went looking for it last night, starting up several trade agreements to see how this was implmemented. I was not able to witness this feature (?) Exactly what are people talking about here with this counter? I also went looking for it in the manual, but couldn't find anything on it.

Also, is there a way to break a trade agreement before the twenty turns are up? As far as I can tell so far the only way to do this is to declare war on someone, which of course dissolves all trade agreements instantly. Is there a less aggressive solution? I remember someone posting you could "click on the agreement" to cancel it, but I'm not sure what screen they were talking about. Again, I wasn't able to find it in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

Perpexedly yours,
Dave
Old November 13, 2001, 10:54   #2
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 18:42
try to issue an embargo, not as harsh as declaring war
Old November 13, 2001, 10:55   #3
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 12:42
If you try clicking the trade under the "active" menu it wont let you cancel it if 20 turns havent passed?

maybe you can try a less conventional and a more random way to cancel it... say you're trading your only source of saltpeter to germany and you get into a war where you suddenly need it... just sent a unit to the saltpeter and pillage it this will force the trade to cancel. if you are trading multiple sources though, you might have to pillage a few resources to cancle the specific trade you want... im pretty sure this wont cause a war if i remember correctly

and i think when they talk about the timer they are talking about the 20 turn limit