Old November 13, 2001, 17:08   #1
Grundel
Warlord

Local Time: 11:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Barbarian Wars (long)
Hello I posted this story on the fanatcis forum. After re reading it, I noticed that I am not the best story teller However, this was my first attempt at trying to 'document' a small portion of one of my first Civ games. Actually, this is the first game that i probably will win

In any rate, reading the stories like those posted here really brought the game to life for me. Even my girlfriend, a non gamer, was appaulled at my war monging ways This game is a blast. So, here it is. It isn't as good as some of the other stuff, but I will keep trying. If i could ever figure out how to add screen shots, that would make it alot better.

here it goes..

Greece was expanding during the Ancient times. The people of this nation began to expand from their capital, the cultural beacon known as Athens.

The surrounding land was fertile. Wide, expansive grass lands and plains that were fed by several rivers. Even the great southern desert was cut in half by a great, raging river.

To the north lay a huge jungle, and beyond hilly plains. Even farther north lived the Roman people, who made a living in the broken tundra of the artic north.

The river fed, fertile land surrounding greece allowed for numerous settlements, as greco nomads set out to hack a life in the wilderness. Other great cities soon formed...Delphi to the west and Sparta to the north, on the outskirts of the great jungle.

As they expanded further south, the great walled city of Corinth was formed. Originally a small tribe, greek explorers tired from travel and in awe of the beutiful land that this village was found on, settled there, and grew to become one of the larger cities in southern Greece.

However, the early expansion was not welcomed by all. The Myans, who lived nearby in the highlands, began to raid and pillage the southern settlements. Bent on ruthless destruction, these people would listen only to violence. Many southern settlements where pillaged by the Mayans, and little were spared. Brutal acts of rape and murder accompanied the Mayan raids. Greek forces were quickly mobilized.

In their entire history, large scale conflict and war were not known to the greek people. They had formed only rudimentary armies, and most soldiers had little or know experience with combat. Their inexeprience, however, could not be allowed to prevent them from defending the citizens of southern Greece. They were to gain so much more than exeprience.

A large division of Grecian horsemen was comitting themsleves to various skirmishes with wandering mayan war parties, and compling many victories with little losses. It seems the foot soldiers of the mayans were little match for the speed and power of the mounted warriors. This mismatch had lulled the greek horseman into a false sense of invicibility.

Scouts on the outskirts of Thessolonica, a small city to the east of Corinth, saw a terrifying sight...A great, thundering hoard of mounted Mayan horseman, approaching the gates of Thessolonica with only one intention...conquest. The small garrison of Hoplites and archers prepared for combat.

The Mayan hoard easily numbered in the 10's of thousands, outnumbering the greek defenders 15 to 1. It seems that the Mayans were not reckless, unorganized barbarian tribe they had lead to beleive. While occupying the more mobile and powerful greek horsmen, they organized their own cavalry force and attacked the lightly defended city. The battle of Thessolonica had begun.

Wave after wave of mounted warriors crashed into the bristling Hoplite phalanx formations. Although casualties among the the Mayans were high, they poured on like a never ending deluge. The archers fired feircly into their ranks, and still they feircely charged on. Small casualties were accrued after each wave among the greek troops. Each charge wore down the greek defenses little by little.

In the end, after the dust from the thundering hooves had settled, the ground lay littered with the dead. Thessolonica remined. The battle weary Hoplites had won the day, although not without casualties. One division of men were destroyed, and the remaining division of Hoplites and archers were severely depleted. Soon after the battle, releif from the north had come to help rebuild the defenses. The greek horsemen now had the Mayans on the run. They had committed the vast majority of their force in the battle, and were quickly being dispersed.

The Barabarian wars lasted another 10 years, as the last pockets of resistance were slowly found and crushed by the mobilized greek army. The Mayans, however, fought bravely even in the face of certain defeat. Parts of their culture can still be seen today in the halls of our museums and libraries...and the telling of storeis such as these. The men that died, and their bravery lives today in our traditions...such as the honorary Thessolonican Guard who march every year in the Delphi parade. It is considered the highest honor for the men and women of our armed forces today to be appointed to this battalion.