Old November 13, 2001, 19:33   #1
MrBlud
Settler

Local Time: 11:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How Firaxis could've implemented Civil War
I think Firaxis missed a great oppertunity in Civ3. They could've made an option for Civil War. It would set in if, for example, lets say you have 20 cities. If at least half of them (in this case, 10) lapse into disorder within a set time like say 20 turns. Then the 10 cities would suceed(sp?) from your Civ and select a new capitol city. They would in effect become a seperate Civ while still retianing your technological level, but still retain your civ's values and unique units. You would have to re-capture at least half of the cities for the breakaway Civ to come back into your Civ, or just the new capitol. The domestic advisor would come pop of and say " The (name of the breakaways) have broken away from our Civilixation, Their capitol is at (City). Civil War would also come into affect if an enemy civ, during wartime, captures your capitol and 1/3 of your cities. So to conclude my example let's say you're playing as the Americans. You are currently researching Stealth You let disorder claim half your cities. This starts the civil war, the new Civ (the confederacy) immediatly takes half your cities, chooses their capitol at Norfolk and gets Stealth while destroying all the research you put into it. it also creates two unhappy citizens in all cities in both of the civs for the duration of hostilities. You both would also get a free spy in the others Civ. You could force them to re-join if you capture their capitol or capture at least half of their cities. If they capture your capitol they force you to sue for peace. if you refuse to comply they completely raze your capitol and the war continues. Continuing the example with you playing as the Americans. Let's say you are fighting the Russians. They capture washington and 1/3 of your cities. This forms the Confederacy, they sign a peace Treaty with the Russians and the Russians give them diplomatic recognition. The Civ that breaks away will not be represented until each country (besides yours) gives them recognition. If a civ gives them recognition before 50 turns or before the breakaway civ captures your capitol then it's a declaration of war against you. If the breakaway Civ is given recognition by everyone before you defeat them, then the Civ gets a single city somewhere in the world, a government in exile as it were. They then act as a totally seperate civ, while still having the same technology and unique units as you. If you still wish to crush them, it has to be done on a city by city basis. If you decide the war to bring them back into the fold is a lost cause and recognize the new Civ you get three happy citizens in all your cities. Anyone else think this is a good idea?
Old November 13, 2001, 19:46   #2
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Re: How Firaxis could've implemented Civil War
I think it's a good idea, but I don't think it's the most important feature for them to add in a patch (and that's after they've fixed all the bugs)...

I'd make one minor change/addition, though. After succession, there should be a CHOICE if there's going to be a war -- you can also turn around and say "ok, if they're happier that way, then leave them alone". This could have interesting diplomatic effects -- making other civs like you more but respect you less? Maybe depending on civ type -- religious civs would eat it up, love it, but militaristic would think you're a sucker... something along those lines. Personally, I think that'd be better... but again, don't think this is too likely to be added in a patch. If they do an X-pack, though, it could be AWSOME -- most of them just add missions, very few add major gameplay features, would be very cool. Not that I don't think we should get it for free , but one has to be realistic...

-- adaMada
Old November 13, 2001, 22:20   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:44
So they took the civil war out?
Old November 13, 2001, 22:25   #4
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

It was actually brought up in the Soren Johnson Apolyton chat.

I believe the answer given was that if you're playing 16 givs, what happens if part of your Civ broke off. a 17th civ? the game maxes out at 16 civs.

But... It is a good idea

There are also suggestions of your far off cities gaining their own independence and such, but the Civil War idea is cool also.

But the limit on Civs puts a cap on that. Maybe in Civ IV ...
Old November 13, 2001, 22:43   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
Maybe in Civ IV ...
Or Europa Universalis (1 or 2)
Old November 13, 2001, 23:03   #6
Hiruko
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
It was actually brought up in the Soren Johnson Apolyton chat.

I believe the answer given was that if you're playing 16 givs, what happens if part of your Civ broke off. a 17th civ? the game maxes out at 16 civs.

But... It is a good idea

There are also suggestions of your far off cities gaining their own independence and such, but the Civil War idea is cool also.

But the limit on Civs puts a cap on that. Maybe in Civ IV ...
Or it could just be set so that I games with the max number of civs this was not possible. Besides, usually when I play with 16 other civs at least one is usually gone by the halfway point of the game anyhow.
Old November 14, 2001, 00:32   #7
Kc7mxo
King

Isn't it ironic that we'd like there to be something added to this game that was in the orignal?

Quote:
what happens if part of your Civ broke off. a 17th civ? the game maxes out at 16 civs.
same thing that happens when you do it in civ 1 and there was max number. nothing. i don't care though. my games have all so far been aroudn 8 players, so there isn't a problem with adding another one. or two. or eight even.

and what happened to having to buy a new capital anyway? now its free to reloacte the damn thing. pah.
Old November 14, 2001, 03:15   #8
Setsuna
Warlord

If there was a civil war feature, it could be some sort of mirror civilization. In fighting games when two people pick the same character, one has their palette swapped. For example, Rebel Elizabeth could be in a blue robe (Anc), and Evil Caesar would have a Black Hat/Suit (Ind.)

Something I disliked in Civ II was the bizarre groups that emerged from internal conflict. For example, the Romans begin a valiant fight for independence from.. America?
Old November 14, 2001, 14:03   #9
MrBlud
Settler

To solve the "game maxes out at 16 civs" If you started out with 16 civs and when Civil war broke out 16 were still in the game then the breakaway Civ could allow the other Civs to bid on them. Like "We'll join your civilization if you pay us X gold per turn" and see who can afford to pay the most. The colonies (as they would become) would act like colonies to you, having your Civ color, sharing all knowledge they have with you, and allowing you to build their unique Civ unit. Then if, after a Civ or 2 are eliminated, They could breakaway,stay with your Civ, or try to bled more money out of you. Or couldn't if 16 Civs are in the game the breakaway act like a HUGE barberian settlement. Like a bunch of anarchists only with (depending on your tech level) Battleships to ICBM