Old November 14, 2001, 10:55   #1
civcop
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
On loading custom factions
I created a faction using the acedit tool which I called the Vanguard. I then downloaded the graphics for the faction of the same name at the Node (I wanted different attributes than that one had but liked the graphics). I came here and did a search as to how to load them, knowing it had been recently posted. I found the string I was after, but someone (can't remember the name and the search isn't loading right now for me to look again) stated that he had tried all the directions and still couldn't get his custom faction(s) to load.

I may have used the idiot's method to do this, but I successfully loaded my Vanguard faction. Firstly, even after using the file search, I could NOT locate Alpha Centauri.ini anywhere on my hard drive
Cyber, can you tell me where that file is supposed to be? Even the SMAC readme says it is created, but I can't find it. At any rate, I saved the Believers text and graphic files in a folder elsewhere and replaced them with the new ones. That still didn't work. So I changed the names of the Vanguard files to the Believer equivalent (believe, believe2, believe3, etc.). That didn't work either. So I got in the Vanguard (now Believe) text file and changed the name of the faction at the very beginning to Believers, then again a few lines down (from #Vanguard to #Believers). For reasons I cannot explain, the game loads with the appropriate leader portrait, faction name and such at the opening menu! It's even named as Vanguard! Again, I don't know how it worked but it did. So for whoever was having trouble, here's another way to try. I'm only using this until Tres is finished with his DS9 modpack, at which time I'll convert to that. That looks like a good one.
Old November 14, 2001, 14:38   #2
TresXF
Warlord

Local Time: 17:46
hi civ cop,

the Alpha Centauri.ini is located in the main directory of SMAC. i assume your file explorer setting is switched to not displaying certain file types (like archive and ini's). goto "extras", "options", "view" in your explorer and enable the "viewing all files" option.
i jope this will help

btw, the german version of the Deep Space 9 conversion is done. just some spell checking and grammar optimization. it's kinda whole new game

the english translation is in progress.
eta end of november/2001
TresXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2001, 14:38   #3
TresXF
Warlord

oops, double posting
Old November 14, 2001, 20:10   #4
civcop
Chieftain

Tres
I did ensure my settings were to check all files and I still couldn't find it. I'm guessing the file exists (it's supposed to at least) but I'm at a loss here. I even re-installed the game(!) and couldn't find it.

If I spoke German I'd be all over the DS9 conversion. Alas, the only German I know is to ask if you have money for me (haben zie geld fur mich?--and that is probably not right). I can also quote JFK saying "I am a Berliner" (even with the New England accent!). That is the limit of my German. I am very much looking forward to the conversion. By chance, can you insert the St. Pauli girl in there as a pop-up graphic? Maybe she could pop up randomly and say, "I've brought you some beer". That would be the cherry atop the conversion, if you ask me

BTW, thanks for the reply.
Old November 15, 2001, 01:34   #5
TresXF
Warlord

well, actually i was @ st.pauli a few days ago (during my hamburg trip). but i like the liberal city amsterdam much more.

about the grafix: there are a lot of surprising new pictures (but no pin-up, sorry)

hmm, strange thing with your .ini-file. it must be there, coz smac won't run without it... if you order the files by type, it should be found above the .dll and .txt-files.
Old November 15, 2001, 15:44   #6
Cybergod
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TresXF
hi civ cop,

the Alpha Centauri.ini is located in the main directory of SMAC.
What he said
Old November 15, 2001, 18:14   #7
civcop
Chieftain

Hmmm
I checked for that file again today and am still unable to locate it. I'm not sure whether I should blame myself, Firaxis or El Sid himself for this. Speaking of Sid, what is his claim to fame? Was he ever a programmer? A game designer? I know he has been around the gaming world for awhile now (I used to play Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, the original, and Sid Meier's Covert Action on my old 286 PC), but how did his name come to mean something when attached to the title of a game?
Old November 16, 2001, 02:05   #8
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 09:46
You may have suffixes turned off (the .ini, and .txt, etc) as i have.

in which instance, you only see the file name alpha centauri - it comes right after alpha centauri autosave and right before alpha (which really is alpha.txt)

Try looking for it via a word program (but remember to set the search within word for text files and not .doc - much easier to find that way)

G.

Last edited by Googlie; November 16, 2001 at 18:55.
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2001, 10:23   #9
civcop
Chieftain

Ah ha!
The file with the little gold gear thing on the icon! That was it the whole time? I looked at that one at least 3-4 times. I got your file Googlie, thanks! And yes, the suffixes are turned off.

Thank you Googlie and all for the assistance.