Old November 14, 2001, 16:21   #1
thanakar
Settler

Local Time: 16:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomacy
Is it just me or is diplomacy unbalanced in this game. Seems that I have to offer the sun, moon and half my body parts in order to get anyone to agree with any type of diplomatic offer. Even if trying to trade items of equal value.
Old November 14, 2001, 16:27   #2
challenge
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:47
I don't seem to have this problem, but that might be the level I'm playing. I find that suggesting a counter offer and then selecting what I want and then asking what I can trade for it gives me better results. Conversely, I've gotten better deals for my stuff by not accepting the AI's first offer.

If they won't take what I'm willing to give them for their stuff, or pay me at least what I think it's worth, I don't do the deal no matter what my advisor says.
Old November 14, 2001, 16:30   #3
NewportJohn
Settler

I agree -

A civ who is in awe of you, polite, technologically way behind you, have less resources, less exploration and a smaller military should jump at the chance for a mutual protection pact, especially when you are both at war with the same other civ. But in my case, it asked for 2 resources, 2 techs, and a lump sum.

Seems silly
Old November 14, 2001, 16:32   #4
derdede
Settler

Keep in mind, that besides the level you're playing, your cultural rating also affects how the other side reacts to your proposals. However, I think it's really hard to talk the AI into giving you a city, even if you're far superior (by military or culture). For some reasons the AI also considers its own luxuries much more valuable than mine !?