Old November 17, 2001, 04:44   #61
Sikander
King

Local Time: 09:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It sounds like a lot of you guys want SMAC back. I don't blame you, I played Civ 3 for about 20+ hours and I just got bored with it. I started a game of SMACX a few days ago and I'm hooked again. It's really a much better game all around. There are a lot of exciting dynamics to SMAC that are completely missing from Civ 3.

I'm sorry that I feel this way, I would much rather be totally engrossed and impressed with the new game, but it just doesn't warrant that reaction. It feels like one of those old linear adventure games, where you just sort of plug along down the pre-determined path. No wonder the AI is better, the game is simpler without managing to retain that tension of choices (even limited choices can have that tension that keeps you glued to the computer) that most people agree makes a game great.

Here's what they are saying on the SMAC forums about Civ 3:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=31349

Anyway, good luck with your wish list, there will at worst have to be a patch to fix the most egregious bugs, and in all likelihood there will be a supplemement as well, so there's still a chance for some of this stuff.
Old November 17, 2001, 05:02   #62
facistdictator
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:47
I would love to have a program added to the game that would allow us to make our own flags to represent our country. Maybe in the game have a small flag on a pole waving over each of our cities. To me it puts more imagination into the game. Or better yet, not even have the program just have all countries flags today to choose from and maybe a few fictional flags. If this was implemented into the game it would be very easy for us to have mods or downloads of other flags if the ones included were not what we wanted.
"How must the man be constituted who will lead Germany back to her old heights?" The man, should be a dictator not averse to the use of slogans, street parades and demagoguery. He must be a man of the people yet have nothing in common with the mass. Like every great man, he must be "all personality," and one who"does not shrink from bloodshed. Great questions are always decided by blood and iron." To reach his goal, he must be prepared "to trample on his closest friends," dispense law "with terrible hardness" and deal with people and nations "with cautious and sensitive fingers" or if need be "trample on them with the boots of a grenadier." ---Rudolf Hess
Old November 17, 2001, 09:49   #63
conquistadore
Settler

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
For modern-era lovers...
1. Radar outposts or sonar stations fom CTP..

2. Nuclear submarines that are able to carry multiple cruise missiles(2 or 3 will be fine)

3. Helicopters that are able to load any unit from open terrain(not just from cities) and their operation range INCREASED as well.

4. A special forces unit that can cloak and move around the map sabotaging, bribing etc...

5. Sea colonies/floating artificial islands? Maybe limited dist. from coasts for realism.

6. I wont want terraforming though, cos its simply too unrealistic and even if viable, will take hundreds of years.

7. Definitely improved diplomacy and may i know what's so fantastic about SMAC diplomacy. Never played the game b4, so maybe someone can briefly tell me what it does?

8. Most importantly, the PATCH FOR AIR SUPERIORITY!!!
Old November 18, 2001, 08:10   #64
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 16:47
Oh look! How did this thread get onto page three? Tsk!
Old November 18, 2001, 12:13   #65
Yoleus
Warlord

If I had to choose just one feature, I would go with social engineering. But you know, the AI has some problems with it... unless you make the direction to take clear (in SMAC/X it worked: Yang, go for Police! Miriam, my, still trying democracy? You know, Fundy is better. Zack, my friend, still running dem+market+knowledge? Deirdre! Your green hat is sooo beautiful! You are so right in refusing dressing anything else!).
Moreover, you should have more "modern" options with the time... and the AI being able to "navigate" them.
An N-dimensional matrix with dimension like:
political structure:
tribal - despotism - monarchy - oligarchy - republic
main "reason" behind the political structure:
religion - bloodline - wealth - military - constitution
civilization "core" (like the "goals" in SMAC"):
religion - commerce - power - research
them freedom level, education level...
Obviously the more they are close to each other the more the society is stable (and umbalanced), the more they are apart the more you are unstable, but also flexible and ready for everything.
Old November 18, 2001, 12:33   #66
Wrong_shui
Warlord

A post modern era
Old November 18, 2001, 13:53   #67
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 12:47
Quote:
Originally posted by facistdictator
I would love to have a program added to the game that would allow us to make our own flags to represent our country. Maybe in the game have a small flag on a pole waving over each of our cities. To me it puts more imagination into the game. Or better yet, not even have the program just have all countries flags today to choose from and maybe a few fictional flags. If this was implemented into the game it would be very easy for us to have mods or downloads of other flags if the ones included were not what we wanted.
I think you should try Europa Universalis 2. just released this weekend actually. im gonna go pick up a copy today.
Old November 20, 2001, 17:27   #68
cheerful
Chieftain

When I dock a ship into a city, I want all units inside activated. I transported them there to do sth, not idling in the ship.
Old November 20, 2001, 23:20   #69
codemast01
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:47
Bring back slightly furture techs like fusion and underwater cities ala CTP II (btw these are the only good qualities of CTP II).
Old November 20, 2001, 23:30   #70
codemast01
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:47
One more thing. Allow bombardment to kill. Yes I know you can argue against this because the "air power cannot win wars" theory. However I believe what this phrase really means is "air power cannot take territory." This idea has already been implemented in Civ2. Firaxis does not need to implement it again by not allowing artillery and air units to destory what they are attacking.