Old November 16, 2001, 10:24   #31
WarKing
Settler

Local Time: 11:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010

Some of you are right, if we don't like it we won't use it...but doing the math...I'm not sure that you get much benefit from IFE.

Perhaps I can see it's uses in the border towns where corruption is so high...then again, even at Monarchy, I can buy what I want...and if I put a road through that forest...hmmmm

How far out from a city can you do IFE and have the resources go to a desired city? Is it the nearest...so technically, if you had one city on a large island, and a billion workers(4 per square if industrious, and 8 otherwise) so you could lumber in one turn, plant the next, then lumber again, etc...(calculations off here?)

How much would it cost to buy these extra resources? How much would you save not having all the workers? Hmmm....I say the advantage is only slight at best. If you like this strategy, then more power to you. After all, once MP is enacted, I'll know where to get my workers
Old November 16, 2001, 10:55   #32
Auk
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:48
Forest exploitation is a fantastic use for all those enslaved workers. Depending on whether they are industrious workers or not, you can easily chop down and regrow a forest square with about 9,10 workers. If you're not paying maintanance costs for the workers, and haven't paid to create them this this is clearly a big win situation.
Old November 16, 2001, 14:19   #33
quinalla
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 11:48
The only time it has been useful to me to use the plant/chop method is with one city that was on an island with one other civ city and there was nothing left for it to do, so I did this to speed up production of stuff while I was waiting to take over the other city on the island. Otherwise, I can't see much use for this and I wouldn't use it except in special circumstances because it is boring as hell to do! Anyway, I have been having lots of fun playing Civ 3 and I expect it will only get better after the patch(es).

-quinalla
Old November 16, 2001, 14:47   #34
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 10:48
Re: Forest Harvest! Must change on patch?
Quote:
Originally posted by Bakunine
For what i've seen so far it seems a lot of people are abusing of forest harvest to deal with cities that are dominated with curruption.

I think this must be patched ASAP.
And this is hurting you how if they do? Go play the way you want to and leave other people alone
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 16, 2001, 16:25   #35
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 17:48
After a little experimentation I have found it possible to get 20 shields with only eleven workers in a single turn. The turn before my lone worker cut the forest down I moved another 10 workers onto the square. My first worker duly got the first 10 shields, then it took 5 workers to reforest, then 5 workers to deforest again. 20shields in one turn. The way I see it you need 10 workers to get 10 shields per turn, deforest then reforest. I am not sure yet but I think that with 50 workers on one forest tile you can reforest and deforest 5 times thus gaining one shield per worker, 50 shields per turn. The only catch is that you must keep your workers in multiples of ten.

I do not know whether this tactic would be entirely cost effective, but it would certainly boost production if you are trying to build wonders. Would this be classified as a bug?
Old November 16, 2001, 17:43   #36
Shiva
Prince

You do not get the shield bonus when woodcutting at a city building a wonder, palace, or hidden palace.

Same thing goes for disbanding.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 16, 2001, 19:59   #37
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Tolls
Eliminator:
"Shield bonus from cutting down forests is a(nother) blatant rip off from Age Of Empires. I don't like it; no sir, I don't like it at all.
"

It reminds me more of Sid's Colonisation, where clearing a forest gave you a big wood bonus...and Col was pre-AoE.
So few people know how much AoE ripped things off from other games.
Old November 16, 2001, 20:14   #38
Bakunine
Warlord

Local Time: 16:48
Re: Re: Forest Harvest! Must change on patch?
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva

And this is hurting you how if they do? Go play the way you want to and leave other people alone
In case you didn't noticed i just said what i thought and asked others what they thought. I also made two suggestions. I didn't told anyone how to play or to do X or Y.

Also if you wanna be left alone then just don't read or reply to posts. To me the foruns have exactly the opposite purpose. A way not to be alone playing a game (or doing anything else).
Old November 17, 2001, 13:50   #39
Shiva
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Forest Harvest! Must change on patch?
Quote:

In case you didn't noticed i just said what i thought and asked others what they thought. I also made two suggestions. I didn't told anyone how to play or to do X or Y.
In case you didnt notice what you yourself wrote:

Quote:
For what i've seen so far it seems a lot of people are abusing of forest harvest to deal with cities that are dominated with curruption.
I think this must be patched ASAP.
Thats not asking what other people think thats telling them they are playing wrong. And yes "patching" it would be telling someone how to play

Old December 18, 2001, 18:46   #40
BNut
Settler

Let me tell you guys about the forest exploit.
Two words...

Industrious
Democracy

With this combination you can plant a forest with two workers and chop a forest down with two workers in a single turn!

4 workers = 10 shields a turn from a single square!
6 workers = 15 shields avg every two turns per tile.
8 workers = 20 shields a turn...

You get the idea.

Ok, I think someone answered my question already but let me make sure... is there NO option in this game for moving stacks (multiple) units at a time? If I have 15 Rifleman I want to move across the map I have to do it ONE unit at a time? This is NOT acceptable in my my mind. I have re-read my manual and these message boards multiple times to find a way to do this.

Anyway, despite my gripes this is still one damn addicting game. I fried my Viewsonic PS790 monitor playing 8 straight on a Sat. I didn't realize I was running 100hz refresh rate at 1024x768! (DOH!) Anyway, I use PowerStrip now to limit my maximum refresh to 85hz on my new ViewSonic a90f while I get an RMA on my my PS790.

Cheers,
Brian =B-)