Old November 14, 2001, 22:10   #1
Grundel
Warlord

Local Time: 11:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Roman Wars.
The greeks and romans shared the same continent. It was a giant '7'....the romans had the northern part of the continent, and we (the greeks) had the southern part. The colonial phase had passed, and most of the habitable earth was owned by somone.

On my side of ther border, I had rich iron deposits and plentiful horse supply. When gunpowder was discovered, I had one source of saltpeter. The romans had massive supplies of it.

The romans had attacked me earlier in the game and took a city, but it revolted and came back under my fold. Peace was delcared, and we lived peacefully since. I was afraid, however, that if the romas learned the secret of gunpowder, I would be in for it. I acted quickly.

Fortunately, the saltpeter was near my northern border, and settled around small, border cities. I knew that If i struck fast and in a hurry, I could cut his empire in half, secure and fortify the saltpeter and the local towns, and then sue for peace. At least that was the plan.

I had been cranking out a steady stream of cavalry, cannon, and musketmen. I had my workers build roads connecting myself to the roman border cities, and built forts and strategic choke points along my northern border. I solidified my defenses by building walls along my border cities and reinforcing them with muskets and cannon. My cavalry began to arrive in huge numbers along the border. the time was now. I demand that Ceasar relinquish control of the cities I wanted, to avoid a bloody conflict. He refused of course, and I launched my attack.

The first roman cities fell with little effort. He had them defended only with spearmen and warriors. Quckly I cut his empire in half, and took out the stranded settlemnts. I had secured the additional saltpeter, and more importantly, denied my age old advisary of his supply. Now to sue for peace.

What I was not expecting, however, was his counter attack. Allow me to rephrase...I was not expecting how well planned and executed his counter attack was ! The border was about 10 squares wide, with 2 cities on it. inbetween those cities where castles, fortified with cannon and muskets. my attacked was launched from the Eastern city and cut north west thorugh his emipre. His attatck was aimed squarely at the western city, which was not as well defended.

A few bowmen first, then a few horsemen. followed by warriors and spearmen in countless numbers. To my surprise, he never directly attacked the forts or cities, but rather attempted to storm the breach between them. With the bulk of my mobile army, the cavalry units, to the north I found that I had to counter attack his armies with my muskets.

As his units poured thorugh, I slowly eliminated them with cannon bombardments and musket counter strikes. I diverted my cavalry reniforcements to the breech.

I eliminated the units that broke through. and bottled up the remaining force. Both sides of the roman advance were flanked by my cavalry. After a feirce battle, his foprces were on the run.

My requests for peace were ignored, however. So I began a more extensive campaign into the heart of his territory. I took more cities, this time some of his major ones. As I pushed deeper, I severed his spice and horse supply. It was not until Hector and his army where at the gates of syracuse that he finally listend to reason.

After the war had ended, I gave back some of the cities I had taken, mostly due to corruption issues. I kept the cities that were near the saltpeter, though. I had acheived victory, but at a costly price. I commited more resources and men to this war than what I had planned . I learned a valuable lesson.

I would never thought that the civs in this game would play so intelligently. I was totally unaware that he would counter attack at a totally different part of the border than where my attack came from. I was also impressed with his choice of targets. he rushed the breech between my walled city and my fort and began to attack my other settlements. It is funny how a large scale war errupted off of a small scale engagement. And the great part about it is I could see something like this happening in RL.

I love this game.
Old November 16, 2001, 09:37   #2
MisterMuppet
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:49
I love the fact that even though you plan for a small scale strike using a limited amount of men and material with specific aims, it gets blown up into a bigger engagement. Echoes of real life as you say.
Old November 16, 2001, 15:06   #3
dr.charm
Chieftain

I love the fact that a well planned, and indeed, well-executed attack can be turned back, or at least require a complete shifting of goals in order to maintain momentum. I'm usually a very patient player, and actually try to construct defensive lines that my high mobility units can retreat behind so that they can heal, but sometimes, the AI is just so *good*, landing troops behind my lines and cutting off resources etc.

I recently had a *nasty* war with Bablyon that went on for at least 500 years, from around 700 to 1200, without a single break. It was so difficult, though eventually I managed to force a single road up into the heart of his nation with my nights, shuttling the injured ones back along 'Hell's Highway, and pushing fresh ones north. So tough, frustrating and ultimately fun.

Unfortunately, I had to give up on the game though. During the war, I granted rights of passage to the Zulus and Persians so that they could help me (though the tide had been turned) and once the war was over, I couldn't get rid of them (without starting a war). Not to bad in itself, but it was literally taking 5 minutes for each turn while they moved their troops around in a circle, and it was just far too frustrating.

Cheers,

Dr. Charm
Old November 16, 2001, 15:21   #4
narmox
Warlord

pressing shift while units move will make them move about 5 times faster...
Old November 16, 2001, 15:46   #5
Stuie
King

Local Time: 12:49
Quote:
Originally posted by dr.charm
Unfortunately, I had to give up on the game though. During the war, I granted rights of passage to the Zulus and Persians so that they could help me (though the tide had been turned) and once the war was over, I couldn't get rid of them (without starting a war.
I actually used a similiar situation to my advantage. I (Hiawatha) was on a large continent with (north to south) the Aztecs, Egyptians, Indians, Chinese, Iroquois (that's me) and the Japanese. My civ and the Egyptians were the two superpowers on the continent, with the Chinese and Indians acting as buffer states. But incessant Egyptian atrocities (they were just getting too strong....) led me to hatch a plan. I cobbled together a coalition of everyone vs. the Japanese. I soon had Egyptian and Chinese forces rolling through my lands. I bowed out of the conflict after taking some remote Japanese cities, but the other civs kept on coming like vultures to a corpse. I used several turns to rebuild and strengthen my military.

Being on good terms with all, I was able to demand that they withdraw without causing open conflict. So I asked everyone but the Egyptians to leave, surrounded the Egyptians forces in the open desert, and declared war. I bombarded the hell out of their trapped units and followed up with my newly built tanks. Slaughter ensued. The resulting shift in the balance of power as a result of Egypt losing most of their offensive military units led to my eventual domination of the entire continent. Lovely.

By the way, playing with 16 civs on a 150x150 map makes a huge difference in speed over the 180x180 map. Try it.
Old November 16, 2001, 15:47   #6
dr.charm
Chieftain

I already have it set on fast move, and shift doesn't work after that It really kind of sucks to have to let a game go because the turns are just *way* too long. I turned off the movement animations 5 minutes into my first game I'm very patient in making war, but my units better hop to it quickly

Cheers,

Dr. Charm
Old November 18, 2001, 19:23   #7
Pods
Settler

Dr Charm: good to hear you're not condemning the entire game simply because of long terms, unlike some of the lamers in the General forum.
Old November 19, 2001, 11:39   #8
narmox
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by dr.charm
I already have it set on fast move, and shift doesn't work after that It really kind of sucks to have to let a game go because the turns are just *way* too long.
actually, I believe this is good - for me. Having carpal tunnel syndrome doesn't sit well with having a civ3 addiction, hence long turns are good for my hands and wrists
Old November 19, 2001, 13:17   #9
dr.charm
Chieftain

Condemn a game because some things don't work as well as I thnk they should? Please, this game has a lot to offer, and I'm sure the problems will be worked out.. hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm still having a lot of fun with it, but the niggles are a bit irritating.

I have a realistic view of things, and I knew that there would be at least one patch. Anyone who didn't think this doesn't keep up with the gaming industry. It sucks, but it's true. You either choose to deal with it, or you return the game.

Cheers,

Dr. Charm
Old November 25, 2001, 19:52   #10
Herder
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:49
Good thread all around. Good story.

Yeah, interface could use some work.

Sentry mode is probably the biggest item I wish for.