Old November 15, 2001, 00:33   #1
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Charlie don't Surf!"
"Charlie don't Surf!" , Boy was Kilgore right

In this game Charlie does nothing cause Charlie doesn't exist, and if you don't know who Charlie is, I mean the Partisan, yes, the Partisan.
Since no one talks about them I assume everyone is glad they are gone, but I miss them. I seems strange that know, when Civ finally gives you a real unifed nation to play (and not a bunch of city-states unified under your administrative control) they take away the ability to wage wars on national liberation.

Partisans should be useful, especially at threatening units in the rear, like workers, and cutting lines of supply, as they did in WW2. The unit should be 4/5/1, and appear after nationalism, though it could not be built in your cities. You woulg get Partisans in 3 ways: When a city falls, a number of Partisans equal to the number of citizens resisting in the city is created within the old cultural boundaries of the city, in difficult terrain (forests, jungles, mountains). They then can be used as regular units. Every turn more partisans are created equal to the number of resisting citizens- that would be the method of recapturing your city, not the seemingly random mathematical formula used to figure if the city returns to its owner or not, in the process detroying units fortified there.
The second way is that if the enemy razes the city, a number of Partisans equal to half the number of workers created, (rounded up, so one worker, .5 partisans or 1) also are created, trying to take revenge for your murderous ways.
Finally, and most importantly, you should be able to go into cities you just lost(and so should the A.I.) and for a sum (usually hefty), recruit partisans from your enslaved population to fight, perhaps even turn one of your ensalved workers into a partisan (who would kill enemy workers or liberate those of your nationality). The partisan from cities would be created randomly on the city radius. You could not do this any more after: 1.peace is signed between you and them, 2.the city converts to their nationality.
Finally, you should get a grace period of some type after your last city falls but workers or partisans are alive (when your last city is taken, you get partisans), of about 3 game turns, in which time your allies could liberate one of your cities, and then you could get it back in diplomacy- thus allowing for something like government in exile like many small EU nations in WW2.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 15, 2001, 02:00   #2
Venger
King

Piece de resistance...
I agree - they slowed your offensive in Civ2 and seem to have been replaced by the concept of quelling resistance.

They were very effective in practice though - they spilled out, and those that survived your first mop up went to work tearing up roads and other infrastructure - quite accurate and well done!

I'd like to see them return as well.

Venger
Old November 15, 2001, 02:29   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:49
Absolutely. I had the idea of 'refugees' that could be added back immediately to the enemy cities, but the partisans is a much better idea as used in Civ2. Of course, if they are as good on defense as are spearmen in the Ancient Age, it could really be a mess. But that would cut both ways, so it seems like a good idea to have SOME consequences of simply razing cities.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 15, 2001, 02:58   #4
SITS
King

Local Time: 16:49
Also the partisan could develop over a few turns if they haven't been eradicated to simulate a growing undergroud movement.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 24, 2001, 17:06   #5
GePap
Emperor

Self-advertisement
Well, this thread seems to be as topical as ever, and as I am a hog for my own ideas (and why not!?), lets see if putting it out in front stimulates more responses, this time around.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 24, 2001, 17:57   #6
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Local Time: 16:49
I like it.
Old November 25, 2001, 04:03   #7
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 11:49
I miss them as frustrating as they were.
Old November 25, 2001, 17:19   #8
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:49
Linking partisans to resisters is an excellent idea. Bringing them back is also a good idea. But even better is the Government-in-exile idea. As long as some citizens remain of a nationality, that nationality is around to be reinstated by one of the players. Another way to handle cities not desired. Only proviso would be that any city passed to a non-playing civ would have to contain one of his citizens. What do you think?