Old November 15, 2001, 01:07   #1
Apolex
Warlord

Local Time: 11:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Oil in the Water... wha??
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkside
woah oil in the water! do you have fast bandwidth? i'd like to check out your save game if you dont mind! i have NEVER seen oil in the water, the game wont even let you put it in the water if you use the editor!
Hey Darkside, I've moved this to a new thread since it's really a new subject. Yeah I have high bandwidth... how do you want me to get the file to you?

You know, the messed up thing is, ALL the oil resources in the game seem to be in the water. The Babylonians have 2 of them! (I'll post screenshot).

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
Oil in the water? I tink dat it is a bug.
Oh great. I finally get to oil and ready to crush all the opposition and I can't use access my resource. Ugh. I'm hoping that when I get to miniturization (offshore platform) that it will let me use it.

Has anyone else had experience with oil in the water? If so, how do you use it? Thanks - Apolex.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	oilwater3.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	5935  
Old November 15, 2001, 01:12   #2
Asharak
Chieftain

Well... that's new one. Can't offer to help, but I can toss in my two cent's worth of 'wow... weird... sorta sucks for usin' it, though, doesn't?'

Hopefully one the Firaxians will notice this thread (hey, the subject's gotta be bizarre enough to get their attention; it sure got mine), and let us know if that's SUPPOSED to happen...
Old November 15, 2001, 01:15   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 12:49
You aren't using a mod, are you?
Old November 15, 2001, 01:15   #4
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:49
Tremendous!
I think it's actually great! It ought to be exploitable by any civ that has the oil in the water with the city radius of a city with an offshore platform improvement...or has that gone the way of the dodo with Civ3?

If it did, it's a smart thing to put back.

Venger
Old November 15, 2001, 01:17   #5
Apolex
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
You aren't using a mod, are you?
Oh WAAAIT a minute... Yeah I think I did install a mod, and I believe it was yours Anunikoba! I don't remember that being part of the mod description though... do you know anything about this? Thanks.
Old November 15, 2001, 03:27   #6
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

yeah apolex, send me a copy of your saved game to t.lozina@verizon.net (i think my email box can store a civ3 save game size file). I'll load it up and if any errors occur during loading or if the oil isnt in the water anymore then we'll know its a mod or a corrupted game file.
Old November 17, 2001, 11:37   #7
Apolex
Warlord

Hey Darkside, did you get the save-game I sent you? I had to quit that one because it was so infuriating not being able to get oil ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET because it was all in the water. It didn't become accessible upon getting miniturization either. All that extra technology I had and I couldn't even use it against the competition...grrrrr. I uninstalled that Anunikoba mod and started a new game (I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not). I like the idea of having oil resources in the water (it's cool and realistic!), but not if it's inaccessible.

-Apolex
Old November 17, 2001, 14:42   #8
HugoHillbilly
Warlord

Heres a save
I personally havent had any oil in the water in any of my games, but my freind sent me this because I didnt believe him.

Random map, small or tiny I believe.

Check out Smolensk. And yes, the coastal oil tiles get the extra commerce bonus.

Very weird.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip oilwater.zip (94.4 KB, 1 views)
Old November 17, 2001, 16:06   #9
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

If you are using the latest version of my mod, then yes- you will got offshore oil. It only enhances the coastal tile resources; but since you need a road to use it 'strategically', you won't be able to trade it, etc.

I did increase the ratio of it appearing to compensate for Oil's new potential location.
Old November 17, 2001, 16:19   #10
Zealot
King

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
If you are using the latest version of my mod, then yes- you will got offshore oil. It only enhances the coastal tile resources; but since you need a road to use it 'strategically', you won't be able to trade it, etc.

I did increase the ratio of it appearing to compensate for Oil's new potential location.
Anunikoba, you just forgot to add a new unit that does the same workers do, just this time it's on the water, and builds pipelines instead of roads!
And offshore platforms should also be built on coastal/sea/ocean tiles, just like you can do in reality in order to extract the oil!
And, don't forget, you could do that in SMAC!

Civ 3 is becoming more like a beta game each time I play it...
Old November 17, 2001, 19:53   #11
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
Anunikoba, you just forgot to add a new unit that does the same workers do, just this time it's on the water, and builds pipelines instead of roads!
And offshore platforms should also be built on coastal/sea/ocean tiles, just like you can do in reality in order to extract the oil!
And, don't forget, you could do that in SMAC!
The problem with that is the player & AI would start building "pipes" in the sea & ocean even if there were no oils there. This would allow ships to travel faster along these "pipes". Navigation, Magnetism, & GreatLighthouse would allow the "pipe builder" to safely travel oceans to do this. In the end you have a "pipe-filled" ocean.
Old November 17, 2001, 20:00   #12
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew

The problem with that is the player & AI would start building "pipes" in the sea & ocean even if there were no oils there. This would allow ships to travel faster along these "pipes". Navigation, Magnetism, & GreatLighthouse would allow the "pipe builder" to safely travel oceans to do this. In the end you have a "pipe-filled" ocean.
It could work, if you renamed "pipe" to "waterway" and think of it in very abstract terms -- of course, that'll drive some people on these forums nuts (waterway's don't really make ships go faster), but...

Anyway, just my little comment .

-- adaMada
Old November 17, 2001, 22:43   #13
Etienne
Settler

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
About oil resources in the water

I had the same problem , but mine were all in the water (coastal squares). I was using the mod Balancer pack 1.1. I have since used the editor to change this back to normal. In the edit rules (Editor) under terrain you can choose what resources will appear on all of the terrain types..

I think we were just very lucky.

I still use this mod because I like the changes he 's made.

Well good luck
Etienne
Old November 17, 2001, 23:54   #14
ScottVib
Chieftain

How about building the ocean worker to build a "colony" on the water... this colony could represent the offshore oil rig and the worker the personnell necessary to work it. By building the "colony" with a road on the adjacent shore title the game could be tricked into thinking that the "colony" was connected by road making the resource available. This would eliminate the waterways in the ocean issue.

Any thoughts on this idea? Would it work? I haven't tried it yet...

Edit - By the way the build colony would be the only function I'd allow for the amphibious worker...
Old November 18, 2001, 00:35   #15
ScottVib
Chieftain

Well I was attempting to do this... but I ran into a problem, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the "Ocean Worker" I created to build a colony. In the editor I enabled this as an action that is performable by the unit, but... the unit doesn't seem to want to perform said task, I'm going to try again.. but I'm not terribly optimistic.
Old November 18, 2001, 01:02   #16
ScottVib
Chieftain

Oh well that idea failed miserably... there seems to be something hardcoded in the game that will not let you build a colony in the water, even if you enable that ability for a naval unit.

Edit-

I thought it could have been a good idea.. but I realized after all the effort that by the time that Oil is usable by the Civs nearly all of the shoreline in the world is covered by a cultural border, which would of course render the Oil Platform "Colony" unusable, without going back to building the "pipelines" in the ocean.

Last edited by ScottVib; November 18, 2001 at 01:17.