Old November 15, 2001, 03:08   #1
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What is your playstyle?
When I played civ1 and 2 I had no internet access and none of my friends played the game, so basically I had no one to talk to about the game.

After I came to this board I've seen a lot of people describe a lot of situations that I have never thought of before.

It maybe interesting to start a thread of playstyle. Not really strategies, just playing style.

I'll start.

-I like to play in the most difficult settings. However, I usually play a game at the mid-settings first to learn about game mechanics before I progress.

-I micro-manage everything. I never use automated workers, governors, and I never leave the science rate untouched for longer than 2-3 turns. I check and adjust the city production and tile workings of each and every one of my cities every few turns. It takes me a loooong time to finish one game.

-My civ games always follow the patten: rapid early expansion - full and complete economic and science development - build up huge army - destroy the world in one battle.

-I don't start a war unless I am 200% sure I'll win. I always overkill. In my last game I made 160 infantry and 40 atrillery, blocked off all my borders with a solid wall of infantry sitting on forts at all the borders before I start my first war and that's on Monarch level.

-I don't use fancy stuff, like privateers, espionage, AI allies, pillaging roads to block off someone, paradrops, etc. When I fight, its a cautious, systemmatic, step-by-step, frontal assult with huge numbers of solidly packed conventional type units and at the same time there is a wall of soldiers defending every tile of my border so no counterattacks can get through.
Old November 15, 2001, 03:25   #2
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

My playing style is nearly the same as yours before I try multi-player Civ 2. It's not bad. But it won't survive the aggressive assaults of human players. In addition, micro-manage everything takes huge amount of time. It could be enjoyable to get the max. benefit in single player game. But not in multi-player game.

Back to single-player stuff, I expand a lot in the initial phase. But I start getting cheap improvements like temple, barracks, granaries at about 10 cities. I do a lot of tech trade. I usually only spearhead on military research from middle-age onwards.

PS. I've read one other thread from you. I think you should know that Civ 3 is out in Hong Kong already.

(Edited: I've posted the thread which contains HK release info in a Private message to you, don't wanna post irrelevant message to spoil this good thread)

Last edited by Chow Yun Fat; November 15, 2001 at 04:07.
Old November 15, 2001, 03:32   #3
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 12:50
I always edit the science rate so research goes slower! I really never liked how in civs you research a unit, then start building it for the first time, then by the time you are donw building it, it is obsolete! it isnt so bad in civ3 since theres that tech-rate floor (cant research faster then 4 turns... which is cheap because it nulls any nations scientific advantage). So i have games which are true sagas. This game i'm playing now i just into the modern age and am involved with some major wars... had to switch to communism 'cause practically my entire army is outside my borders and ive been saving and loading this game for 4 days now... maybe 3-4 hours of play a day
Old November 15, 2001, 03:33   #4
Monoriu
Warlord

Where?
Old November 15, 2001, 03:35   #5
Enigma
Prince

I like playing on high difficulty levels, rapid early expansion, then my strategy varies according to where I am. The AI's build bonuses means that you need more land than they have to outbuild them, and the easiest way of doing that is conquering them.

I do small strategic assaults to get resources some times, but rely mainly on overkill.

I like having a huge number of units stacked in one square, and I like using a lot of armies.
Old November 15, 2001, 04:02   #6
Bubba_B
Warlord

Local Time: 11:50
I play as follows:

Mid level difficulty w/ Low science rate (Keeps it interesting w/out rushing)
Rapid early growth
Build up of culture and infrastructure
Build alliances and attack the bad guys
Try for Space Victory (have to disable culture victory)

Finally,
Play past Victory and wipe out the world