Old November 15, 2001, 03:18   #1
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 12:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Effective use of air units for offense
If you got problems with the ai shooting down your bombers too much, follow my advice and it will be easy.

first of all, realize that a fighter can only intercept once per turn, so if you getting lots of bombers shot down in one turn, hes got lots of fighters stationed in the city

to be certain the bombers will have a safe run, use your jets (preferably) and draw out the interceptors. How? use recon mission on a square adjacent to the target city, and if there are any fighters in that city they will try to intercept you. Since jets are superior in attack to any other intercepting unit's defense, you should kill off his defending planes quite easily. Keep reconing your fighters until they arent intercepted anymore, now send in the bombers to clean up

oh and here's a nice mod for cruise missiles... someone posted it here but didnt test it, so i decided to give it a try and worked a few settings out and it works great. (sorry i forgot your name)

Uncheck Bombard from special actions
Select Air unit for class
set operational range to 6
set bombard strength to 20 (or whatever.. i like 20 )
set defense to 20 (i think this will make it difficult to defense... but im not sure cause i havent had my missiles intercepted yet)
set Moves to 1
set bombard range to 0
set attack strength to 0
now under Unit abilities, unselect anything if there is anything selected, then hold down CTRL and click on:
Cruise Missile (makes it blow up after use)
Immobile (so you can move it anymore like a ground unit)
under Air, check air bombard
under Air missions, select Bombing and Re-base (and precision strike too is fun)

So now your cruise missile is effectively an air unit instead of an artillery. It can be carried along your Carrier and they still blow up after launch, all animations for attack stay same. Use it just like a bomber with re-basing and bombing. And remember, CRUISE MISSILES DO SINK SHIPS make great isalnd defense ...
Old November 15, 2001, 10:24   #2
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 12:50
bump- anyone try the cruise missiles?
Old November 15, 2001, 13:46   #3
9 ECAC Titles
Settler

Local Time: 08:50
I had thought the point of the Air Superiority missions was to draw out the interceptors. Since you recommend using Recons instead, could you explain the advantage? Thanks.
Old November 15, 2001, 13:49   #4
Peterk
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:50
I have yet to see a plane on a air-superiority mission do anything of importance. I would have expected them to scramble to attack any bomber or fighter sent on a mission in range, but haven't seen it yet. It looks like they only act on the square in which they're stationed.

ANyone have any more info on these beasts.
Old November 15, 2001, 13:55   #5
zapperio
Warlord

Local Time: 16:50
Soren (AI wiz at Firaxis) does:

Wexu> Soren_Johnson_Firaxis1, I think the "Invulnerable bomber" -bug is fixed in the next patch?
Soren_Johnson_Firaxis1> Wexu: we are working on it.
Wexu> Soren_Johnson_Firaxis1, yeah, it's a bad bug.

Zap

Last edited by zapperio; November 15, 2001 at 15:04.