Old November 15, 2001, 04:14   #1
Stevet
Settler

Local Time: 16:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Eek! Barbarians
I've noticed a few posts from people saying that that Barbarians aren't much of a distraction / challenge in Civ 3 compared to Civ 2. My latest game (huge, Regent, 8 civs) has Barbarians set to max. & at 450BC I was overrun by a horde of 21(!) Barbarian Horsemen. Anyone else seen this level of Barbarian activity or was I just unlucky?
Old November 15, 2001, 04:59   #2
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 08:50
Yes But
I have & I only put my 1st game on Restless (2nd hardest) Barbarians. But instead of 21 it was 12. But I had 12 racing for 1 town & 12 racing for another town! Yikes! Needless to say that set me back quite a bit.

HOWEVER, Civ2 Barbarians would conquer your towns & start producing their unit type from them! That was tough! Civ2 Barbarians also lasted longer & you got to see a wider variety of Barbarian types. The worst Civ3 Barbarian I've seen is Horsemen. And in the editor the Horsemen is the Civ3 Barbarian's unit "Advanced Type". No other types are listed after that.
Old November 15, 2001, 09:33   #3
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 17:50
But the score bonus is gone, isn't it? I was playing on Raging Hordes (or what is the toughest called now again), but after facing 60 (literally) barbed horsemen in 2000BC I gave the lower options some thought.
Old November 15, 2001, 18:01   #4
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 13:20
The barbarians are a real problem. They are really good at slaughtering your workers. In the game I'm playing now I got a report that there was a barbarian uprising, and I thought "cool, I hadn't seen that yet", then waited a minute or so as horseman after horseman moved onto my screen, must have been about 30 or more . . . seriously
I can't remember what I set it on though, may have been the highest, or even only the second highest difficulty setting.
But anyway, I like them anyhow, they do pose a good bit of a challenge, though a few more ancient units would be cool for them, and maybe make some better than conscript.