OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 16:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy

prepare yourself !
Apolyton tournaments untill you DIE !
My game is doing great. It's 'only' regent level (while I play Emperor in other games) and it's really a peace of cake

Do you participate yourself as well Markos....?
Or only if you win
this is just the beginning

go go cyber... eurocoms count on you...

I am here just to make up the number
Old November 16, 2001, 13:02   #32
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 18:51
Quote:
Do you participate yourself as well Markos....?
Or only if you win
i'm currently finishing another game....

i might try the tournament(and see if i can survive on regent this time) but i'm afraid i wont do any work for the review over the weekend if i do so...
Old November 16, 2001, 15:55   #33
Bakunine
Warlord

Does anyone knows if there's a way to check if games are played threw regular rules or as a mod (besides graphical ones who have no effect)?

Personaly i don't give a $%#& because i am in for the fun.

Good luck to everyone!
Old November 16, 2001, 16:53   #34
KLIN-TONN
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

confusion
Everytime I try and open the game file my computer interrupts and says there's a Microsoft problem, or something. How do I play it?

FWIW, I have a brand new Dell with Windows XP.
Old November 16, 2001, 16:56   #35
Kriton
Chieftain

Quote:
It's 'only' regent level (while I play Emperor in other games) and it's really a peace of cake

BAH! Emperor lvl is for girls. Wait till MP and play me in deity! But you're right. This will be a walk in the park for those who play higher levels.

It is unfortunate that this will never be a fair tournament for one can always play first just to explore the map, then restart and play accordingly. Or if a battle ends poorly, reload the game and do not fight that battle. And so on...
Old November 16, 2001, 18:12   #36
EEKthedog
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:51
310BC i got 19 cities and the pyramids.

Funny, the greeks declared war on me with the zulus and the aztecs, and i got some other civs to ally, and now eveyone is fighting everyone

I hope i can get something out of this.
Old November 16, 2001, 18:20   #37
HunterAssasin
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:51
Ack I just realized I have the fascist mod installed, does anyone know how disable it for this game?
Old November 16, 2001, 19:39   #38
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Quote:
MarkG: but i'm afraid i wont do any work for the review over the weekend if i do so...
Markos, with all respect.....
but do you really expect there are at least some people still waiting for yet another civ3 review ?
Forget about the review, and have fun !

Whomever dared me to play MP (too lazy to look it up)
WE WILL PLAY !

"Oh thou holy CyberShy, you have colonized all the Uranium, rubber and allumium resources, will you please trade some of it with the pathatic [fill in your civ] in exchange for 10000000 per turn (no bug, evil reality ) "

Can hardly wait
Old November 16, 2001, 20:05   #39
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
but do you really expect there are at least some people still waiting for yet another civ3 review ?
i at least have to justify my review copy
also, it will also allow me to have an easy answer to people asking for my opinion or accusing me of secret deals with firaxis, etc

HunterAssasin, you should have a backup of civ3mod.bic
Old November 16, 2001, 23:06   #40
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Local Time: 10:51
I just started the game tonight and nobody likes me.

When I start talking to the other civs, they seem nice at first, then they demand a tech, 200 gold, and my map for just their map! Who do they think they are? I'm more powerful than them! How dare they speak to me like that!?
Old November 17, 2001, 00:26   #41
Ahlyis
Settler

Local Time: 08:51
It's 320 AD and I'm the tech leader, Culture leader and land area leader. My score is currently 476. The only 2 military units I have, I got when 2 cities defected to me. But no worries, everyone loves me and nobody tries to take my undefended cities! :-)

I discovered an extremely useful strategy. DON'T switch governments, heck don't even research them. Pick them up when some other Civ gets them. But stay in Despotism as long as you can. I think I finally switched to Monarchy around 100 AD.

Prior to that, I hardly ever had a city reach a size of 4. If one did reach a size of 4, it was only for a turn or two, then it was back down to size one or two. Was I building Settlers and Workers? Nope. I built enough Settlers and Workers to expand, but most of my citizens were dying from the whip. I built Temples, then Libraries, by killing my people. It kept my cities small, but 4 of the top five cities in the world are mine because of all the Culture I amassed so quickly. The only reason I don't have all five is because Athens got the Great Library fairly quick and has snuck into 4th place. I expect to unseat them before too long.

When I finally switched to Monarchy, I had about 3500 gold and was gaining gold at about 100 per turn with 100% science. In the first turn of Monarchy, I spent almost all of that gold putting Coloseums into almost every city.
Old November 17, 2001, 00:39   #42
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Technical Question
Is the starting position (as depicted) considered 'adjacent to river', so I won´t need an Aquaeduct if I build my capital right there?
Old November 17, 2001, 01:34   #43
David Floyd
Emperor

No, move your settler down and to the left one square, IIRC...
Old November 17, 2001, 05:39   #44
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

My game is GREAT !

6 cities reverted to my culture, I walked over the Egyptians with my friends the Zulu's, took both half their cities. (I took the 2nd last one in exchange for peace, the Zulu's took their last one......... in exchange for "shut up forever" )

Their fault btw, they just attacked me, evil egyptians
THEY PAID FOR IT

I own 4 out of 7 saltpeter resources
7 Ivory, 2 furbs 1 whine, 4 horses
Things are great !

Oh, and none of the Egyptian cities I conquered resisted back. My culture rocks !

I try to say: cease playing, you don't make a change
Old November 17, 2001, 08:41   #45
EEKthedog
Chieftain

I controlled the Egyptians very early by taking over their 4th city. (They build it right in front of my 2 warriors )
Then they traded 2 of their 3 cities for me in exchange for peace, 3 techs and 300 gold.
Old November 17, 2001, 13:29   #46
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I just started the game, so far so good. One city taken due to culture. If I can win this game I'll be happy since my last game where on warlord level At least I at present time have most landarea (atleast if I look at the nations I have met

Though it puzzles me why we have to play the Babylonians instead of the Greeks

Anyway, let me get back into the game to see for how long I'll survive. Wish me good luck
Old November 17, 2001, 19:01   #47
mharmless
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:51
Been having a riot of a time myself so far. I don't normaly play as a non-militaristic civ, so been... interesting. I've been at war with everybody save the greeks and romans (too far away). Chinese, Egyptians, and Persians are dead already, and it is only the early middle ages.

Income is directed 100% into taxation, despotic government. 25 cities right now, so 96 free millitary units. Presently paying out over 60 a turn to support my armies, on top of the free ones. The only research I did all game was to get warrior code at the begining, everything else has been extorted from the AI for peace or picked up in a goody hut.

Roughly a quarter of the map is under my thumb right now, am positive that I can secure a domination victory by the early industrial age.
Old November 17, 2001, 19:12   #48
DaBear
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Dev

oh and anybody moving their initial city spot one tile to the **** can be written off as save game whores

/dev
Somthing you might want to try @ 4000BC is wait you settler and move your worker first... it allows alittle more sight before starting.
Old November 17, 2001, 20:53   #49
Karhgath
Chieftain

My score is about 2500 right now, and I could win any of the victory type if I wanted, I allowed the other 2 civs(greece and egyptian) to survive, yeah, I'm a nice guy =) I have the tech and culture advntage. For half the game, greece was the elader, with me in second, but I started a lot of diplomatic manipulation and got everyone(we were 4 back then, Chineese were still alive) to turn against them, and with my tech advantage(I had mech inf and modern armor, while greece had normal tanks and infantry) I conquered all their nearby city and expanded my civ slowly, without much trouble. I stopped before corruption started to grow out of control, and watched the show =) Then everyone except china signed a peace treaty, so we all ganged up against them, and I took most of there cities, which were near my capital, so corruption was not a problem.

The game was really fun(and easy). I did a lot of diplomatic manipulation, all the wars were because of me, and most of the game I was peaceful, working on my culture, and nothing else. When I was ready to attack, I had no problem capturing and keeping cities.

So, which victory type gives the most points BTW? I will probably conquer all but one city, and win by space race, to get the most possible points.

Oh, and it's only 1880 AD right now =)
Old November 18, 2001, 17:00   #50
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Probably wont win anything here, oh well. Diplomatic victory in 1880 with the chinese, egyptians, and romans destroyed.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ixnay37 diplomatic win.zip (162.5 KB, 93 views)
Old November 19, 2001, 15:51   #51
Roland Ehnström
Chieftain

This sounds like fun - I'll start my game right now!
-- Roland
Old November 19, 2001, 16:08   #52
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
Bah.

I'm in the middle of the game now. But there is no way I can get 2500 points! *sigh* And this is my first Regent game.

Anyway, half of the time I was busy with annihilating the Persians and building the Forbidden Palace. After it was built I also started gaining stuff from the ex-Persian cities.
The Chinese and the Aztecs built 3 cities in the middle of my empire, eventually I swallowed them all.
Currently I discovered that I dont have iron, and now my forces are busy with conquering Beijing to get it. Thank god that there are 3 saltpeter resources near my cities, less useless invasions.
I got the Workshop, the Sistine Chapel and the Colossus, and my cities are producing a fair ammount of culture, but it doesnt seem enough to get to 100k total by 2050.

Until reading Karhgath's post I was planning to stop expanding and building the spaceship... But now I think about conquering the Aztecs to get few more hundreds of points.
Old November 19, 2001, 20:12   #53
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

I destroyed the Egypts and the chinese.
I'm currently busy destroying the Persians.
Then my empire occupies about 50% of the world.

I'm thinking about razing the persian cities.
I have 1850 points right now (1600 AD)
I hold all resources, after I finished the persians I'll have everything double.

Romans and greeks are tough, Aztecs modal powered and the zulu's will be my next victim

2500 points huh.............. hmmmmmmmmmm
must be possible
Old November 19, 2001, 20:54   #54
mrknightly
Settler

Local Time: 04:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hi all!!

My game is done.

Next tournament should be at emperor level. Regent is somewhat less than taxing.
Attached Files:
Old November 19, 2001, 21:26   #55
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

1906 points with a space race victory in 1876.

Maybe I'd score more points if I threw all my nukes at the enemy capital on the last turn? Nah.

Progress was easy enough. Stole about 7 cities to culture in the early going, and used diplomacy (and a huge defensive wall!) to keep anyone attacking me on the ropes. The map is mangled besides my territory. Seems like I managed to strike the perfect balance keeping the AI knocking its self out back and forth. Oh well.....is 2500 the high? Well Mark give me the most impressive defensive display award. I think I deserve it take a look. I think I was a bit paranoid, but I won right?
Old November 19, 2001, 21:28   #56
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

File doh.......
Attached Files:
Old November 19, 2001, 23:43   #57
gus_smedstad
Warlord

Here's my save game, Domination win in 1764, score 2548. However, oddly enough it only lists a score in the 1600's before you hit "end turn". I believe it's because in order to win I build 4 new cities (already done in the save game), and territory makes up a big part of your score.

No doubt I could have increase my score by carefully increasing population while keeping my territory under the critical mass needed for the Domination win.

I found this one relatively hard, because I had to found some distant colonies to get Horses and Iron, and I never did get Saltpeter. Or rather, not until I already had tanks and was wiping everyone out.

- Gus
Attached Files:
File Type: zip touney_win.zip (164.9 KB, 72 views)
Old November 20, 2001, 00:01   #58
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:51
Thatwasthisclose
1870 AD Cultural victory. Mere turns, one I believe, before the Egyptians completed their spaceship.

3046 Score.

Regent rocks. Emperor is cool too. Dissing difficulty levels is retarded. People play on whatever they enjoy. Every civ player should have someone to stand behind them while they play and whisper in their ear "....remember that time you lost on Chieftain....?"

Anyway, we'll see if this holds up. Taking out Persepolis early was the key, I think. Bowmen rule.
Attached Files:

Last edited by Gaius Marius; November 20, 2001 at 00:09.
Old November 20, 2001, 00:21   #59
Out4Blood
Warlord

Using score as a basis for victory is gay. Max score is achieved by playing anal retentively and NOT winning for as long as possible (i.e., AD 2050). It'd be a heck of a lot better to use "earliest victory" as a yardstick.
Old November 20, 2001, 00:29   #60
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:51
Vaild, if homophobic point. (of course, one could call me retardophobic after my last post - I guess will just have to both deal with it). However, I think "quickest victory" tilts the contest as much against the builders as "highest score" might against a conqueror - but Civ IIIs scoring system (which I don't fully understand) seems in my experience to be pretty balanced in valuing victories - download a few of the saved games here - its a good, controlled test of that.