Old November 15, 2001, 17:08   #1
Osprey
Settler

Local Time: 11:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The "ARSE" Strategy
I've noticed that several people have come up with nifty acronyms for their strategies such as the "IFE" (Infinite Forest Exploitation) strategy. I would like to share my best strategy (with patented acronym) with you.
Whenever I find myself in a very difficult or impossible situation I usually end up with a case of the "ARSE". It always works. It's the Automatic Re-Start Event. Here's how it works:
1) Go to main menu.
2) Select exit game. (DO NOT SAVE GAME)
3) Select new game.
This strategy has been proven to work countless times, however sometimes it must be employed numerous times before you can complete a game. I think it will work for you too! Enjoy!

The Osprey
Jer. 10:23
Old November 15, 2001, 17:55   #2
absimiliard
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:52
I have found a more efficient use of ARSE techniques.

Rather than your inefficient methodology involving various menus simply hit CTL-SHIFT-Q and you can automatically experience that magical ARSE!

*grins and ducks for cover*
Old November 15, 2001, 18:58   #3
Osprey
Settler

I love how good ideas can be made even better through inovation and teamwork! People love simple!

The Osprey
Old November 15, 2001, 23:12   #4
ScipioSE
Settler

A word of warning: that sweet, luscious A.R.S.E can get addictive. I've probably started around 500 games of civ 3 looking for the perfect starting spot, and only finished like two. The game just isn't much fun that way...
Old November 16, 2001, 00:22   #5
HunterAssasin
Chieftain

Yes we must all avoid ARSE addiction, used wisely it is a great assest, used to much and you become a junky like ScipioSE
Old November 16, 2001, 04:07   #6
IronSpam
Chieftain

The name is also derived from the tendency for the human player to choose a quick and painless alternative to getting his "ARSE" kicked.
Old November 16, 2001, 04:45   #7
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 08:52
IMHO... a long time ago, I would restart my civ games ALL the time, until I would find the right spot. I would say to myself: this is deity, the AI cheats, etc etc --- I NEED the good spot.. so i would restart.

before that, and with civ games (not to mention any other game that allowed you to save), I would save my game often and reload from a past save whenever the game went bad for me. "ah the AI just took my town... let me try again, I'll be able to win this time now that I know what the AI will do..."

Today I avoid the second like the plague - whats the point, controlling the routine of a game, the planned events... whatever!. Even in other games (bg2 anyone?), I refuse to load a past saved game - I think it's gaming pride really.

The ARSE on the other hand is hard to resist, however it is still cheating. One could say the northern european tribes did not have a choice as where they would start their barbaric civilizations, neither did the mesopotamians or egyptians (yet they did start near rivers) and it's the plain truth. The game starts, you're handed something and you need to deal with it.

restarting, or quicker, CTRL SHIFT Q, is cheating however still usefull at those non cheating times...
Old November 16, 2001, 05:46   #8
MisterMuppet
Chieftain

As a thumb bandit I find the ARSE strategy most appealing.
Old November 16, 2001, 11:06   #9
Osprey
Settler

Smellymummy,

I really appreciate your integrity to the point of considering the ARSE as cheating. You are definitely much more long suffering than I am. After too many Civ games where I played down to my last man, last city and tasted extinction with all the frustration and suffering that go along with watching my lost cause, I consider the ARSE not only a refreshing life saver, but better for my mental health as well. With Civ3 I find myself saying "I don't believe this crap!" a lot. I think the tricky part is knowing exactly WHEN to employ the ARSE. That's a strategy all to itself. One of the best feelings you get when playing any of the Civ games is when you turn an apparantly lost cause situation around and end up doing extremely well or even winning. The best Civ games are those that are neither easy nor seemingly impossible. I really loved reading Ray's thread about the Worst Starting Position that he encountered. Not only did I find his description extremely funny, but he's actually pulling it off it looks like. See, I may have employed the ARSE in his situation.

The Osprey