Old November 15, 2001, 17:14   #1
dtocas
Settler

Local Time: 16:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Units ???????????
Something that has made me quite angry is the units in civilization 3 are based on real life military units i.e. the Nuclear Submarine, cruise missile, icbm. But don't pack as much punch as there real life counter parts. I feel that if they are going to base the units in the game on real life ones then they should do the same. I heard something about cruise missiles not being able to go over water. Also the thing about submarines not being able to carry multiple missiles i mean everybody knows that nuclear subs can carry loads of missiles cruise or nukes. Another thing is the computer being able to spot your subs

If the civ team wasn't going to be accurate then why did they base the units on ones that exist. They could have made units up like in SMAC
Old November 15, 2001, 19:38   #2
Bubba_B
Warlord

Local Time: 11:52
Yeah it sucks.....
Yeah the cruise missile sucks.

I've found myself modifiying a lot of the units to make them more useful.

I just hope the AI can pick up on my Mods and use them too. I dont want to unbalance the game. Maybe thats too much to expect from the AI.
Old November 15, 2001, 22:07   #3
Altuar
Warlord

a- Units are fairly representative of their real life counterparts.
b- Cruise missiles can go over water. They can go over anywhere, as they work as bombardment. They are quite capable of ruining your day by sinking your battleships and whatnot. Nevertheless, its true that they cannot be transported.
c- This is not a wargame. What's more, the same rule system must work from spearmen of bronze age to mechanized infantry of the 20th century. Hence, abstraction is unavoidable. If you want ultimate realism in your games, play either simulations or tactical wargames. Combat Mission and IL-2 Sturmovik make nice recommendations.
Old November 15, 2001, 22:30   #4
Bubba_B
Warlord

Just have our own ideas on how a weapon should be used and deployed.

I understand this is an abstract representation of real life units, thats why there is an editor.

Overall the combat is much better than Civ 2, and thats IMO so dont roast me guys/gals.

P.S. and I love the Panzer General series