Old November 15, 2001, 20:10   #1
KLIN-TONN
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why is no one talking about Fundamentalism? (and some other stuff)
I am a veteran Civ player and a rookie poster to this site. If this has already been discussed I apologize...but the lack of fundamentalism in the new game really gets my goat. It was a huge part of my strategy in Civ II - for all out war no other form of gov't comes close.

Was the omission of fundamentalism a reaction to the events of 9-11? Will someone make a mod that brings it back?

Finally, and bear with me here, please, what EXACTLY is a "mod", anyway? Once loaded, are they always active in the game? Does one have to be programming-savvy to incorporate a mod into their game?

I really like Civ III overall. But I am having problems playing the kind of game I like - which, of course, involves total world conquest. You understand...I don't want to KILL everyone! I just want to rule over them with an iron boot.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, and let me reiterate my apologies if I've committed any rookie transgressions.
Old November 15, 2001, 21:35   #2
HunterAssasin
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:53
They probably took Fundamentalism out because it was uber in Civ II.

As for mods they are modifications to the rules, not sure if they're always active I didn't really use any. Also you don't have to be programming savvy, you just open up Civedit/mod, and change the rules for whatever and walaa(sp?) you have a mod
Old November 15, 2001, 21:43   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 09:53
because they wanted to prevent people from doing what you like to do

fundy was too powerful at that. I know I did it all the time in civ2

It is still possible in civ3. I could have done it in my last game, but felt it would be too tedious. I would have to build all the units with my core continent cities as corruption would be too bad to build infantry/mechs overseas.

And I probably would have to raze some cities. Once I fully destroy a civ, I don't have to worry about losing my city back to them . So the last few cities I take I would keep.

war weariness can be a problem, so it is imperitive to take the city once you move troops into his territory. Although you could switch to communism or something (although corruption stinks with commy as well).

one of these games I will do it. I just didn't want to manage all the units. It was easier to build a spaceship

P.S. I was on a standard map. Doing this on a huge map, might be impossible
Old November 15, 2001, 22:04   #4
Evil Ankh VIII
Settler

Yes, I must agree that fundamentalism was way too powerful in Civ 2. It only had one weakness, but that was easily overcome. I think this game makes you work to win the game and not have it handed to you like it did with fundamentalism in Civ 2. But it might also be so easy because in Civ 2 the AI never used it, while on Civ3 they probably would thus making it more difficult to win with.
Old November 16, 2001, 02:09   #5
MaSsConFUsi0n
Chieftain

fundamentalism was fun, you could use your spies and get caught and no one would care....

MaSsConFUsi0n