Old November 15, 2001, 20:44   #1
Trajan
Settler

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My take on Civ3
The game is very addicting, can't deny. But the AI has a seperate set of rules designed to make the game artificially harder. I would liken it to playing basketball against a team who didn't have to dribble and could foul at will.

Corruption is the worst. If you build more than a handful of cities your empire is crippled, while at the same time every empire in the game sends hordes of settlers to steal any empty space in your area. It really kills the sense of managing a great empire when your lands are filled with trashy polar cities that cut off your roads and steal resources.

Wars are as tedious as ever. I don't have the energy to wake 40 tanks and artillery and hand move them across the map. The armies are a good idea, but in order to make them you have to sacrifice an incredibly rare leader unit that is better used to make Wonders instantly (realistic huh). Instead I would have like to have the ability to form super armies that one could keep throwing units into until you were ready to attack.

The diplomacy is fun on the surface, but in reality it detracts from the game. It is almost impossible to take a lead in scientific research due to tech trading between the AI. It's really futile to even try to build up your science, it's much more efficient to just trade resources and let the diplomacy commune keep you up to date.

Having said all that I'm still glad I bought the game, it's fun and a good time killer.
Old November 15, 2001, 21:14   #2
HunterAssasin
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gotta dissagree with you on your diplomacy and research part. Someone on these boards posted about getting contacts with everyone as early as you can and sell your newly discovered techs to each one for as much gold per turn as you can, I've done this and on my last game I was getting 800+gold per turn on 0.10.0