Old November 16, 2001, 07:44   #1
mrbilll
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Things to like about Civ 3
This is not a comprehensive list, more a collection of thoughts

It's never been easier to see the status of a city from the main map. You can tell at a glance who's making what, who's growing, shrinking or stalled, and how long the next growth/production will take.

The AI is much more aggresive and proactive. At the strategic level, it makes a determined foe, even if it still isn't very smart tactically. The same goes for expansion. It's great to see it grab empty land, though it's also silly and frustrating when it establishes a city in a crummy location right next to you- which it will inevitably lose due to cultural influence.

The diplomacy system is much more interesting than in previous civs. There are a lot of ways to balance out a trade so that I can get what I want. Need an advance, but don't have one to trade yourself? No problem, gold will do just fine, if you've got it.

The unit icons and animations are a lot of fun. Sure, you're not supposed to care about eye candy in a strategy game, but what's wrong with a solid game that also looks good?

Although I liked Civ 2 combat just fine, and I miss the effects of firepower, the combat now has more strategic feel. It's now necessary to have a good mix of offensive/defensive units, and use them for their intended roles. The movement rules within enemy borders prevent the railroad blitzkreig that was the hallmark of warfare in Civ2.

The game flows better, with few events that really jerk you out of the turn to turn action. (Though I do miss the wonder animations)

Finally, the units of your civ are free of city support. It's a joy to build units and send them hither and yon, without worrying about how many sheilds are being sucked out of city X, or who's gonna riot because you needed the tanks somewhere else.

Anyone care to comment?