Old November 16, 2001, 11:05   #1
Ghengis Thom
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Communsim broken? Corruption is bad far from palace
I just got Communisim for the first time and the corruption is HORRIBLE farther from my palace. Far off cities I captured produce 1 shield and zero money. Complete corruption.

Is there a factor with peoples other than your own perhaps?

Ghengis Thom
Old November 16, 2001, 11:14   #2
DarkMatter
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:55
It's the same way with any large empire, even with democracy, in which the corruption is supposedly 'minimal.'

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy.
-Christopher Dawson, The Judgment of Nations, 1942
Old November 16, 2001, 11:55   #3
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:55
But shouldn't communism have even less corruption than democracy?
Old November 16, 2001, 12:08   #4
Hans2
Prince

According to the manuel, the civlopedia, and the Prima strat guide, corruption under Communism should be 'communal,' that is, every city outside teh capitol will suffer the SAME rate of corruption. This is one of the things that is supposed to make communism such a good government for the conquest victory.

Firaxis, was this another last minute change, or is it a bug?
Old November 16, 2001, 14:26   #5
Deathray
Warlord

Ok, firstly, ignore the manual. I haven't even read the manual yet. As with many manauls and strategy guides these days, it was written before the game was finished, so there are mistakes in it. There is a manual amendments section in the readme file.

Secondly, communal does not mean that all cities have the same corruption, it just means that they tend towards the average corruption, so you are less likely to get the 1 production/turn cities, but also you probably won't get many cities with no production at all. This is a good thing for all your conquerers who like to capture cities on far off continents.

I don't know how Communism's total corruption (over the whole empire) is, but its better than that of Monarchy, Despotism or Anarchy. How it compares to Republic I don't know, but it will definitely be worse than Democracy.
Old November 16, 2001, 14:59   #6
Hans2
Prince

This particular change is not listed in the readme.
From the manuel:

"Corruption and waste are a problem under communism, but less than that experienced by a monarchy. State control of the economy does standardize the loss of commerce and shields-so that distance from your capitol has no effect. Corruption and waste also increase with the number of cities in your civilization."

The strat guide and civlopedia say things similar. Now, Ghengis, do you notice corruption getting gradually worse as you go away from your capitol, or is there a sudden dropoff where one city has managable corruption and the next total corruption? Maybe this is what happens when you've reach the max number of cities for communism on the size map your playing?
Old November 16, 2001, 16:18   #7
Ghengis Thom
Chieftain

Dropoff
Hans2

There is a very steep drop off if any. I havent counted squares away from Palace but a few cities can pull 3 shields and everything past that gets 1 sheild with or without a courthouse.

At a guess Id say cities within 10 squares of the palace are usuable, the rest get a granary and lots of irigation and then I beat the production of the people. Works pretty good if you have enough luxarys.

Ghengis Thom
Old November 16, 2001, 22:35   #8
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 08:55
Yes, "communal" corruption is broken, or at least it doesn't deliver as advertised.
Old November 16, 2001, 23:17   #9
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I don't see any problem with corruption in communism.
You cannot just depend on communism alone to reduce corruption. You must build courthouses in every city. If you do that, you can see a significant decrease in corruption in every city with a courthouse.
So far, I have only about 15 cities on standard map, so maybe corruption gets out of hand beyond that number.
Old November 17, 2001, 00:16   #10
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 17:55
Communism doesnīt work as advertised.

When I switched from Republic to Communism, Corruption increased at my capital and close by, and didnīt decrease anywhere else, at least not enough to notice it.
Old November 17, 2001, 10:30   #11
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:55
I guess Americans are still feared of communists....