Old August 9, 2000, 03:19   #31
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by cavebear on 08-03-2000 06:49 PM
First, I don't alter my rules.txt. I occasionally host, and I think it is unfair to present players with unfamiliar civs/units/battle factors.

Use two rules.txt files: one for single player games (with modifications), one for when you host games.

By the way: no one is posting here anymore, does that mean:
a. I've convinced everyone (except cyberamazon) (yeah right)
b. Everyone is bored with this topic
c. Something else?

Emperor Oogkloot the Somewhat Acceptable
Old August 9, 2000, 08:38   #32
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 17:41
quote:

Originally posted by Dr.Oogkloot on 08-09-2000 03:19 AM
By the way: no one is posting here anymore, does that mean:
a. I've convinced everyone (except cyberamazon) (yeah right)
b. Everyone is bored with this topic
c. Something else?

I'd guess people decided it wasn't worth an extended discussion over. I personally fiddle with the city/rules.txt files periodically whenever I feel like playing some different civ or subculture not listed, whether it is the Inca's, the Austrians, the West Virginians or whoever In general I'm happy with which civs/leaders that were provided, and yes there are places I would have prefered something different (I have a certain affinity for playing Stephen I of England (1135-1154) ), but I'm not going to try and convince everyone else that my way is the only way. Its a game after all, and who am I to try and interfere with someone else's enjoyment of it
Old August 10, 2000, 02:39   #33
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Local Time: 22:41
quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 08-09-2000 08:38 AM

I'd guess people decided it wasn't worth an extended discussion over.

IMO if anything is worth an extended discussion over, it's making changes to Civ2.
quote:

I personally fiddle with the city/rules.txt files periodically whenever I feel like playing some different civ or subculture not listed, whether it is the Inca's, the Austrians, the West Virginians or whoever

You don't need to...you can just use the custom button in the game iitself for that.
quote:

In general I'm happy with which civs/leaders that were provided, and yes there are places I would have prefered something different (I have a certain affinity for playing Stephen I of England (1135-1154) ), but I'm not going to try and convince everyone else that my way is the only way. Its a game after all, and who am I to try and interfere with someone else's enjoyment of it

I never said my way was the only way...but I do think it is a better way, and if it isn't, I would like to know why. I'm not trying to interfere with anyone's enjoyment with the game...just giving my opinion...you don't HAVE to follow it.

Chieftainissimo Oogkloot

------------------
Say no to spam!
No alla spamma!
Zeg nee tegen spam!
"Nein" zum Schpammen!
Moe nie spam nie!
!Fuera el spam! !Apolyton si, spam no!
Ceterum censeo spammem delendam esse!