Old December 6, 2001, 22:19   #61
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Historic Starting Locations (as of Dec. 16th)
NOTE: This information is accurate as to patch 1.16f. It is accurate as of Dec. 6th.

Q: Will "Historic Starting Locations" be included in the game? When?
A: This WILL NOT be included in patch 1.16f. Faraxis cannot (at this time) say if it will be eventually included, or when. One thing they do say, however, is that this is an issue with the editor, not the game itself.

A specific quote from Dan Magaha that says this:
Quote:
I've already commented on this. The issue isn't with the game, it's with the editor, and it's directly tied to the ability to place units and cities on the map for scenarios.

And no, I can't tell you when/if it'll be available.

Dan
I've deviated from my normal template for this specific question, but since so many people have been asking it...

-- adaMada
adaMada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2001, 12:14   #62
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Q: Engineers were in Civ 2, but now it seems im stuck with those Skanky workers. Why??

A: After discovering Replacable Parts, your workers will now work twice as fast. Your captured workers will also work twice as fast as before, but still at half the speed compared to your built workers. This eliminates the need to re-build your entire worker force

Q: Im power-hungry. I want to increase the speed of my workers even more. How can I??

A: If you change government to Democracy, one of its bonuses is that worker work 50% faster.
Old December 8, 2001, 08:22   #63
geoffbland
Settler

Local Time: 16:55
Maybe one for the FAQ...

Q I have a 17/20/22" monitor and why can't I play at a higher resolution like in Civ2?
A You can - read the read.me file and it explains the following;
- KeepRes=1 - When set to 1, your desktop resolution will be what the game uses. 1024x768 screens will be centered, but you will be able to see much more of the map on one screen.
- Video Mode=1792 / Video Mode=1600 / Video Mode=1280 / Video Mode=1152 - Force screen resolution to one of these settings.
geoffbland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2001, 05:08   #64
Redstar
Warlord

can u have more than 1 leader at a time...
"A Great Leader occurs approximately 1 in 16 times when an Elite unit wins a battle. "

I have had 1 leader for about 40 years now.
during this time i have had countless battles using elite troops and have not seen a leader.
(it only takes 2 successful engagements to become an elite unit)

So might one conclude you can only have 1 leader at a time?
Redstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2001, 06:05   #65
Hurry
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:55
Quote:
So might one conclude you can only have 1 leader at a time?
This is under some debate at the moment. Some players suggest that you can have several leaders at the same time.

Check out this thread (a few observations on leader generation):
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=36623
Hurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2001, 11:57   #66
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Q Do huge-map games have more turns than tiny-map games? How are the extra turns distributer?

Q I keep capturing a major enemy city. A few turns after I capture it, it rebels and goes back to its old civ. What strategys can I use to stop this? Does adding more occuptation forces and assimilating foreign nationals faster affect this?

(my bad shaky-burns )

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2001, 12:57   #67
Seth
Settler

How does draft work?
Q: Could someone provide an explanation for how citizens may be conscripted? I know from the manual and the pedia how governments affect the number that may be drafted and the resulting unhappiness. What I don't get is the rules for when citizens may be drafted. Does a city need to be above some minimum size? Do resistors or other unhappiness factors make draft impossible? Are there any messages that a draft has occurred or failed?

The reason that I ask: In my third game, I try the draft for the first time. Post patch. Sometimes draft button is present, sometimes not. When I press button, nothing happens. Under Democracy, no conscripts ever appear. However, under Communism, draft results in conscripts in large cities on my original continent, but never in smaller, conquered cities. Even when draft works, no changes are apparent until I close city view and then re-open.

Is this feature buggy, or do I just not know how to use it?

TIA

Peace
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2001, 15:50   #68
gamma
Chieftain

Huuuuuuge list. I was brainstorming as I read the thread. This is everything I hadn't seen up to now:

Q: What is REXing?
A: REX stands for Rapid Expansion, a popular strategy in the early part of a Civ game. The idea is to build as many cities as possible, as quickly as possible, at the expense of improving cities. Existing cities do nothing but build settlers and workers; workers do nothing but build roads.

REX is even more important in Civ3, due to strategic resources. The more land you cover, the more likely you will have strategic resources within your territory.

Q: What is pop-rushing?
A: In Civ3, the despotic and communist governments allow you to rush building projects by sacrificing citizens rather than by paying gold. Hence, "population sacrifice rushing", or pop-rushing.

Pop-rushing is very viable in Civ3, since corruption is much worse in outlying cities [pre-patch; communism might be better now]. 99/100 shields might be lost due to corruption in a remote city, but that city's food production is still full; so, food becomes the driving force behind building in that city.

Corruption aside, pop-rushing has proven to be a very useful method for REXing, possibly as formidable as ICS was in Civ2.

Q: Can I upgrade units in my army?
A: No. Once they're in, they're final. You can unload units from an army if you make a mistake, but only if that army hasn't left the city. It might be possible to fight a close battle in which some but not all of the units in your army die, and then replace them, but this is unverified.

Q: If I build an army, can I move it to another city before loading units into it?
A: Yes.

Q: If I build an army, use it, and then build the Pentagon, can I add a fourth unit to it?
A: Yes; all you have to do is move the army into one of your cities.

Q: Do fresh water squares exist? All I see are coastal squares.
A: Apparently, any body of water with nothing but coastal squares in it is considered fresh. The squares still say "coastal", but you'll notice each of them provides two food, rather than one for a normal coastal square.

Q: I just saw a civ with an irrigated square with no water next to it, and before electricity! How is this possible?
A: Two ways. The AI might have irrigated a line of squares up to that one, then mined over the intervening squares. The second way is to note that a city square is considered irrigated if there is water or an irrigated square next to it. If the square just east of a city has fresh water, then you can irrigate the square just west of the city.

Q: No matter how high I set my research rate, I can't discover new techs in any faster than 4 turns, or any slower than 32 turns [40 post-patch]. What's going on?
A: These are deliberate caps, meant to keep a civ from running away with the game by getting ridiculously high research production. Note that you can get techs faster in certain situations. Namely, the more civs discover a certain tech, the cheaper that tech becomes, and the 4-turn cap goes away.

Q: Why can't I destroy units with bombardment?
A: This is a deliberate feature, meant to keep any civ from conquering another with nothing but no-risk bombardment. Sooner or later you have to send a unit in there and slug it out.

[Updating Skanky Burns' entry]
Q: How do I perform advanced espionage missions? They aren't available when I click my capital's star icon.
A: You need to build the Intelligence Agency first. The city that built it will have an upside-down pentagon icon where the star is on your capital city. Click that to access advanced missions.

Enemy capital cities will also have this upside-down pentagon icon. You can click that to perform advanced missions against that civ.

Q: How do I get leaders?
A: Several factors help. Use only elite units as much as possible when fighting. Use them for defense as well. If they're damaged, take them off the front and repair them, and use your veteran units to make them elite. Militaristic civs have a greater chance of getting elite units, and might also have a greater chance of getting leaders from elites [unverified]. Build the Heroic Epic as soon as you can. Finally, it might be possible to capture another civ's leader, if you're lucky enough to be around when they get one.

Q: Why is corruption so high?
A: Many factors. The two biggest are apparently (a) distance from your palace or forbidden palace, and (b) total number of cities under your control. For each of the five map sizes, there is an "optimal" number of cities. This optimal number appears to be always twice that needed for you to be able to build the forbidden palace. If you have more cities than that, the remotest ones will apparently suffer debilitating corruption - even 100-shield cities will lose all but one shield. Likewise for commerce.

Q: How can I counter this corruption?
A: Many ways.
1. Build the Forbidden Palace if you haven't already.
2. Switch to a nicer government if possible. Democracy helps.
3. Build a courthouse.
4. Build a police station [post-patch].
5. Get that city to celebrate WLTKD. Do this by:
5a. Getting more luxuries via trade or conquest.
5b. Building a marketplace to increase the effect of luxuries.
5c. Increasing spending on entertainment.
5d. Eliminating unhappy citizens via city improvements, etc.
6. Have fewer cities.
7. Change the optimal city number using the editor.

Q: Why can't I build Wonder X in my city? It's greyed out in the pop-up.
A: See if it's still greyed out if you hold down the Shift key. If it's not, it means you can build it later, but not until you finish your current project. This is because your current project has "dirty" shields obtained by (a) forced labor, (b) shields from forests, (c) disbanded units.

If it's still greyed out, that means it's either (a) already in your build queue, or (b) one of your other cities is working on it, or has it in its queue(?). Hunt around until you find it.

Q: How can I get a fully-improved city with an odd number of food to stop going through annoying periods of growth/starvation?
A: One way, if you can put up with the effort, is to build a worker in that city whenever it pops. Another way is to go to an irrigated square worked by that city (make one if none exists), and pillage the railroad, leaving the road. That square will now produce one less food.

Q: How can I see other civs in the Foreign Advisor screen?
A: Hold down Shift and right-click in any of the circles other than your own. A pop-up will let you select a different civ to view. You can only see eight at any one time.

Q: How is this one coastal square producing one extra commerce??
A: Very rarely, a river will meet with a bend in the coastline. Rather than stopping there, the river will turn away from the bend and dump somewhere else. The coastal square in that bend qualifies for the extra commerce from bordering a river. (Coastal squares at river mouths don't get this bonus.)
Old December 10, 2001, 16:17   #69
gamma
Chieftain

Alluding to another thread:

Q: How can I cut off an enemy civ's strategic resource supply?
A: This can be difficult to accomplish, and worth the risk at the same time. If the civ is getting this resource from a colony, find the colony and destroy it. If it's inside the civ's borders, find the resource and pillage any rails and roads in that square, then plant a high-defense unit or two on that square to keep the civ from rebuilding the road. Make sure you get all of the resources; pillaging one oil square out of two won't do any good. If the resource is under a city, pillage all roads around that city, or take the city.

Once that resource is cut off, it may still be possible for the civ to get it via foreign trade. In this case, the civ's capital becomes the "resource square". To cut this off, you have many options. The military solution is to pillage all roads around the capital. Don't take the capital, obviously, since it'll then move somewhere else. If the capital has a harbor, send enough units to blockade it. If it has an airport, bombard it until it's destroyed, or just let the capital be the only city that can use the resource (good luck with that if you have it surrounded). Diplomatically, you can use a spy to destroy the city's airport. Or simply ask all other civs with that resource to engage in a trade embargo. (You'll need the Nationality tech(?) to do this.)
Old December 11, 2001, 09:42   #70
Mankind
Warlord

Local Time: 17:55
I got civ3!!!!! (...)

1. sorry for stupid questions
2. yes i have civ manual but at home
3. Excuse me if that question and answer is in this faq, i don't have time now for reading the hole thing

luxury - 0
tax - 5
science - 5

i want to change it to science - 9 , where? how?

4. can i set a national border's ? (not city borders,) i swa the egytians with strange border... dont have an idea what was it...

why diplomacy is so restricting? i mean.... in civ2 when civ reached me , imydiataly was an audience... now.... not

and... sorry for spelling errors.....
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2001, 17:25   #71
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mankind
I got civ3!!!!! (...)

1. sorry for stupid questions
2. yes i have civ manual but at home
3. Excuse me if that question and answer is in this faq, i don't have time now for reading the hole thing

luxury - 0
tax - 5
science - 5

i want to change it to science - 9 , where? how?

4. can i set a national border's ? (not city borders,) i swa the egytians with strange border... dont have an idea what was it...

why diplomacy is so restricting? i mean.... in civ2 when civ reached me , imydiataly was an audience... now.... not

and... sorry for spelling errors.....
Q: How do I change the luxury/tax/science rate?
A: See the "Domestic Advisor" screen.

I have no clue what you mean about national boarders/diplomicy being restricting... can you clarify?

-- adaMada
Old December 12, 2001, 11:31   #72
Mankind
Warlord

Local Time: 17:55
Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada

I have no clue what you mean about national boarders/diplomicy being restricting... can you clarify?
well, borders of state, there are any in civ3?

diplomacy, restricting .... it's different than civ2's...
i can declare a war, i can say "bye" and i can "ask for deal" but i don't know how to ask for an aliance in that "ask for deal" menu ,
i don't if in civ3 i can pay other civ to atack some other civs...

it is so much more different......
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2001, 11:41   #73
Redstar
Warlord

to Mankind
You ask for a deal..

then select (and expand) military agreements (from list of choices) and then select mutal protection.
You then offer what is necessary to get the deal accepted.

Once done..either will go to war if the other is attacked.

You can also do embargos and military alliance against some mean civ.
Redstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2001, 12:50   #74
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:55
Re: to Mankind
Quote:
Originally posted by Redstar
You ask for a deal..

then select (and expand) military agreements (from list of choices) and then select mutal protection.
You then offer what is necessary to get the deal accepted.

Once done..either will go to war if the other is attacked.

You can also do embargos and military alliance against some mean civ.
Once done..either will go to war if the other is attacked or bombarded within its borders.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2001, 15:52   #75
Padma
Chieftain

to mankind
Quote:
A. Your civ's border is the sum of the cities' borders. Yes, they start out nice and symmetrical, and expand as you culture grows, up to the point they bump against another civ. You have no control over the shape, other than strategic placement of cities.

I have noticed some strange borders, myself. What I have observed is that if a city on the 'edge' is razed, tiles in its radius that are being worked by another city will not be 'lost', but tiles in another city's radius that the razed city's population is working WILL be 'lost'. This results in some rather strange-looking borders.
Padma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2001, 15:54   #76
Jodo Kast
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:55
Q & A
Q: The music sounds funny.
A: The music is a collection of many MP3s to provide background music. It's meant to give the game ambience without getting too annoying. Keep the volume to a 'background' volume as if you are actually listening to the music that is coming from your cities! The music changes over each era.

Q: Sorry, the music is too repetitive.
A: Turn off the Music under Options. You can play MP3s in the background with WinAmp (but you need a fast system).

Q: I want to listen to CDs but Civilization CD is in there.
A: Listen to your CDs on your stereo and let your computer do it's thing!

Q: Diety is impossible!
A: I think 'Diety' means 'God' so you should have all the powers you can think of. I restrict myself to unlimited funds, which allows me to keep up with the constant 1-turn military production of the 15 other Civs. Even then the game is very difficult, and fun!

Q: What's the patch like?
A: If the game is fine as it is, you don't need to patch it. They change too many rules in the patch for me, so I reverted back. The patch does make the game run faster.

Q: The resolution is limited to 1024x768.
A: Add Keepres=1 to the Civilization.ini file. Change your desktop resolution to the one you want and start Civilization 3. The only bug I see is with the city screen. All other screens look fine!

Q: The Editor seems crippled!
A: The Editor is set to use Default Rules by.. default! Click on the menu to turn off Default Rules. Now you can edit everything from advances to civs to improvements to units.

Q: There is pollution everywhere!
A: In the Editor, add a checkbox to 'Decrease Pop/Bld Pollution' for most improvements. Pollution adds only frustration to my games so I eliminate it this way. The enemy Civs aren't hindered by pollution this way so be careful.

Q: What mod packs do you recommend?
A: I use the Wonder background and replacement pics to tell me when it expires, etc w/o going to the Civilopedia. The PopMoodbadges are good so you can tell if you have unhappy people. Everything else works great!
Old December 12, 2001, 18:36   #77
Pythagoras
King

Re: wow, that game is NEW...
Q How close together/far apart should I build my citys
A There are several things to consider when spacing apart citys:

First defense, In SMAC and Civ2 I got into the habit of building cities close together. By close I mean Id build cities so that the city itself was just outside the city radius of another city. This way I could very easily defend against anything that was to come along. In one turn w/ roads I could get units from a neighborig city to a city who much needed defending. Also having a "dense" territorial map makes conquest for the enemy take a while. If each city has adequate defense, rolling over city after city can be costly even to an AI that uses swarm tactics.

Second cost, the downside to building citys close together is the cost and waste. If you tend to have at least 2 defenders a city + typical improvements, the cost for doing this for more citys, packed together, is much higher than if there were fewer citys. Also in Civ games more cities yields more corruption and waste.

Anyone else care to elaborate feel free.

Last edited by MarkG; June 3, 2002 at 04:29.
Old December 13, 2001, 13:51   #78
Pythagoras
King

Though I am a hardcore Civ fan if civ four is this bad i will not buy another civ game again...Though the errors on civ III are fixable there are many areas that they could have done better at.. examples:

Q: Why not use some of the ideas from Alpha Centauri

A: Probably because Sid Meier, not Brian Reynolds designed the game.

. How about two discs: one for the editor and the other for the game.

A: I dont think the editor does or would ever need another disk.

Q: where did the cheat option go? sometimes its fun just to be god you know.

A: I agree, but believe me a lot seems to be in the works.

Q: Bring Fuedlism back

A: If you mean the technology, its already in there. If you mean 'vassalization' ala SMAC its sort of in there. If you have a weak neighbor demand a bunch of stuff from him, yearly tribute etc and he'll comply...

Q: If adding more things would require a larger install and a more discs..i am sure others will agree with me and say that is ok...I rather have a full package than one not completely full.

Anyhow, I still cant believe this game cost so much for so many problems...They have burnproof for cd-writers how about a crashproof game.

A: I dont agree. First the game is being developed for every windows platform, that in and of itself is a chore. Second I have seen games in much worse condition on release. Ive only seen minimal bugs in Civ 3 with only one or two features not working. Third Ive seen many a firaxian post here so Im sure they can try to address your issue.

Last edited by MarkG; June 3, 2002 at 04:35.
Old December 13, 2001, 19:41   #79
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Re: wow, that game is NEW...
Quote:
hello, anyone here? anyone care?
Alright, I'll bite.
The reasons no-one is responding is that your questions are SO basic that to anyone who has played this game or Civ2 for any length of time doesn't KNOW how to answer -- it is so second nature by now!
A) READ the bleepin' MANUAL!!

Q) Rioting City?
A) Go to the city screen by double-clicking on the city on the main map and then click on one of the squares being worked (has food/shields/coins icons on them). This produces an Entertainer. Create enough Entertainers so that your Unhappy citizens do not outnumber your Happy citizens.

Q) How to make a tax-guy or scientist?
A) While on the city screen, make an Entertainer. Click on the Entertainer and it (he/she) changes to a Tax Collector. Click on the Tax Collector and it becomes a Scientist.

Q) ... and my civ is in 3rd place, how make it 1st? i must build more town's?
A) Depends. Get more experience in the game. More Towns/Cities/Metropolises helps, but too many can be a burden. It's all a matter of the right mix of cities, workers, combat units, real estate, city improvements, and wonders (great and small). And it changes, every game. Basically, I will start the game trailing some AI civs, but will gain on them and surpass them later in the game. Patience, Obi Wan.

Q) but i can't build town's close to each other........ is it bad when borders from one city meet border's from the other city? or maybe if one city is close to another (eg. 4 squares) is it ok, or no?
A) Only one city can use a square. If both cities were to grow to metropolis (greater than 12) size, then they might end up competing for squares to work. For this reason, most players build most of their cities spaced to allow full growth. I suggest you try it both ways in the same game to experience it.

Q) can 2 towns have one 1-common-colony ? or maybe 1 colony can be used by only 1 city?
A) The resource of a colony provides a whole civilization with that resource, either the owning civ, or another civ that it is traded to. Once a colony is within your own culture border, it is no longer a colony (the colony itself will disappear). As long as you have a road to the resource, cities connected to it (by road, harbor or airport combination) will have access to it. If it is traded to another civ, cities connected to their Capital City get it.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 13, 2001, 19:49   #80
Pythagoras
King

Quote:

hello, anyone here? anyone care?
Q How do I make people happy?

(Please correct me here I may get some details wrong, but the gist of what I say is true)

I will edit to correct accordingly.

(a) Build roads connecting your citys to luxuries. One luxury will make each city in the civ have 1 extra happy person (content->happy).

(b) Build temples/cathedrals/colloseums/police stations. A temple will cause one unhappy person to go to being content. A colloseum 2, and a cathedral 4. I do not recall the exact effect of police stations. In previous games they reduced war weariness.

(c) Build wonders that either increase the effectiveness of improvements in B or produce happy/content people.

These include: The Oracle, Hanging Gardens, Sistine Chapel, JS Bach's Cathedral, Cure For Cancer.

(d) Make entertainers. Simply enter the city screen and click on a tile being worked on by a worker. That worker now no longer works the land but works for you as a specialist. By default he is an entertainer, this will make one unhappy person content.

(e) Raise the luxury rate. In the domestic advisors screen and allocate a percentage of your budget to luxurys. This will convert commerce in a given city to luxurys if (I believe) that city has a marketplace. A certain number of luxurys (2?) in a city produces 1 happy citizen.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old December 13, 2001, 20:03   #81
typongtive
Settler

3. How about two discs: one for the editor and the other for the game.

I dont think the editor does or would ever need another disk.

I should have been more clear, Though i agree the editor wouldnt need a full disc..it would leave more room for other things.

I had the same problem with Civ2 Gold and they fixed all the issues within the first patch. Maybe I expect too much from such a great company...

I do agree with the windows platform issue of designing a game for it and the challenges it causes..Damn Microsoft
typongtive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2001, 16:25   #82
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 18:55
Q: I there any way to make a map flat?
A: Yes, it can be done with Civ3CopyTool.

Q: Where can I find this tool?
A: Right here at Apolyon, in the files forum.

Q: Why is there no such option in the Editor?
A: I don't know. It might not have been tested enough.
Old December 19, 2001, 01:00   #83
Marla
Chieftain

Gramphos, you are definitly a genius !
Thanx again ! I'll be able to make flat maps! I'm so happy !

Q: Is there a way with the editor to make impossible to build a city on a specified terrain, like tundra or desert ?

That's because on the map I've created, the AI wastes his time to build cities in Siberia, Greenland and Northern Canada instead of doing useful things.
That makes the game a lot slower because it has a lot of useless cities to manage. Moreover, the AI doesn't want to declare war since it can still found cities !

Example: I wanted to make a map of the mediterranean sea, but that means large deserts if I want to get the full sea. I know carthagenese will colonize the whole desert instead of declaring war to Rome like in reality, and then Carthagene will remain a small useless civilization with small cities that produce nothing.

Moreover, it will finally make of colonies something useful cause it would be the only way to get ressources in tundra and desert.

As I think it's not possible to change that in the editor, I would like Firaxis or a programmer to make that possible, just to improve our game experience.

Thank you.
and thanx again Gramphos, you're the best
Marla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2001, 16:09   #84
aschatz
Settler

OK, some questions. They may have been answered here, but I'm not sure.

1) I've noticed in my first two games (at a middle level) that the other civs seem to start much closer to you than in Civ2, and they seem to expand much faster than in Civ2. True?

2) It seems that strategic resources are really, really rare, making random map placement the most important thing in the game, not strategy. True?

3) When you defeat an enemy city, do you still steal a tech improvement like in Civ2?

Aaron
aschatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2001, 00:57   #85
adaMada
King

Q: Do AI civs really expand that much faster than Civ 2? -- Paraphrase of Aaron
A: Yes, really .

Q: It seems that (in my games) strategic resources are very very rare -- is this true? -- Paraphrase of Aaron
A: There are (supposedly) one Strategic Resource per civ on the map -- however, they are not placed with any respect to the various civ's starting locations. In other words, if you have an eight civ game, there will be eight horse resources somewhere on the map, but that doesn't mean they're not all controlled by the same Civ.

Q: When you defeat an enemy city, do you still steal a tech improvement like in Civ2? -- Aaron
A: Short answer for once: No.

-- adaMada
Old December 20, 2001, 03:23   #86
Dane
Settler

Q: What do the appearance ratio and disappearance probability boxes mean in the natural resource editor?

Will, for example, a disappearance probabilty of 100 mean that it will disappeare more or less than a disappearance probablity of 400?
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2001, 08:00   #87
AustralianJeremy
King

Local Time: 01:55
Weirdness - the Zulus finished their spaceship the other day but didn't launch it; so I won the next turn when I finished mine.

Q: Why?!
AustralianJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2001, 10:18   #88
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Q: My people are unhappy, the ungrateful scum. How do i find out why?

A: Find a city with unhappy people, and double-click an unhappy person to find out the reason why they are unhappy.

Q: What do the different reasons mean, and how can i stop them.

A: (Half from Half-Lotus )
"Stop the aggression against our mother country!"
This happens when you have foriegn nationals in your cities, and are at war with their country of origin.
To stop this, make peace with the civilization these people were from.

"We cannot forget the cruel oppression you bore down upon us!" This unhappiness from pop-rushing.
Only time will make this one go away. 20 turns per pop-rush, although its not determined exactly what happens if you pop-rush more than once.

"Hell no, we wont go!"
Drafting.
Again, just waiting is the only way to make this go away.

"It is way too crowded"
The cities population is above a certain limit (depending on difficulty level).
AFAIK no. There is a set amount of content people per city, and once the population goes over that amount, each new person is unhappy. On Deity it is 2 people, on other levels you get more content people before unhappiness kicks in. I dont think its related to number of cities at all.

"Give peace a chance"
Indicates war weariness.
To stop this, either change gov to Despotism, Monarchy or Communism. Or make peace with each and every civ you are at war with.
To reduce the effects of war weariness, build police stations and/or the Womens Suffrage.

EDIT: Found where i had posted this before, and added it now

Merry Christmas All!!!

Last edited by Skanky Burns; December 24, 2001 at 11:16.
Skanky Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2001, 11:20   #89
Skanky Burns

Q: My people are unhappy because "Its too crowded". How do i give them more room??

A: You dont. You just make them happy/content with what they have got.

Q: So, how do you stop them from being unhappy??

A:
1: Build a temple, colloseum and cathedral in the city. Each reduces the number of unhappy people.

2: Get luxuries, the more the merrier. Up to 8 luxuries can be enjoyed by the city, making people happy.

3: If you have over 2 luxuries, build a marketplace. It will increase the amount of "happy faces" your luxuries generate. See below.

4: Make some of your population specialists, particularly entertainers. This will help make your population happy/content.

5: As a final resort (IMO), increase your luxury spending just under the science spending slider.

Chart of total "Happy Faces" produced by luxuries in a city with a marketplace.
1 luxury - 1 happy face
2 luxuries - 2 happy faces
3 luxuries - 4 happy faces
4 luxuries - 6 happy faces
5 luxuries - 9 happy faces
6 luxuries - 12 happy faces
7 luxuries - 16 happy faces
8 luxuries - 20 happy faces
Old January 5, 2002, 01:10   #90
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Q: What do the different [Unhappiness] reasons mean, and how can i stop them.

A: (Half from Half-Lotus )
"We cannot forget the cruel oppression you bore down upon us!" This unhappiness from pop-rushing.
Only time will make this one go away. 20 turns per pop-rush, although its not determined exactly what happens if you pop-rush more than once.

"Hell no, we wont go!"
Drafting.
Again, just waiting is the only way to make this go away.
The "cruel oppression" can also be caused by your conquering the city, especially if it resulted in the deaths of many of its inhabitants.

"Hell no, we won't go!" can happen even if YOU didn't do any Drafting (could be from previous owner's drafting, and the poor blokes are still suffering from it after you take the city).