Old November 16, 2001, 16:24   #1
PashaM
Settler

Local Time: 16:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A new player... help!
Hi, im sure this is a silly question, but how do i make my soldiers move, same way AI soldiers move (one right after another...)?
Next question is why is my game running out of time, and i loose? It tells me that it is already 2000AD or something to that effect... but how can it be, when my country is only getting to industrial age?
Also, if i have a natural resource, can i still build a mine there? to increase production?
Old November 16, 2001, 17:01   #2
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 12:56
I'm sure some of the better writers out there can give you a better answer, but I'll try my best:

Yes, your soldiers move one at a time. The exception is if you build an army with a leader. With a leader, you group several units together (I think up to 3), and they move as one and fight as one (With cumulative hit points of course).

The reason you run out of time depends on a large number of factors. It could be the size of the map, the difficulty, or the strategy you are using or some combination thereof. There are a great many threads in this forum on starting strategy. I suggest reading a few of them and get a feel for what's been working for other players, and then trying it for yourself. The most common advice I've read so far is that you must aggressively establish your civilization early, and then trade for technology or sell your technology to fuel further research. It's been working for me, too.

Finally, yes, you can build mines over natural resources without losing them. (Example, Iron). Build a road to them first so your empire will have access to it.

Well, I hope that gets you started again.
Good luck
Old November 16, 2001, 17:09   #3
PashaM
Settler

Thanks alot! Yes, i understand about the army, but i havn't reached the level where I or my opponents can build a Leader... but i see them jump into eachother, and move lots of them in one time period. And sometimes all i do is sit there and watch them move like 10-15 units, from one place to another, dont I get to move? Wait, its my turn NOW!
Old November 16, 2001, 17:48   #4
PashaM
Settler

Oh, and one more thing... some people on this forum using a word "pop" what does it mean? And alos what those numbers mean for each unit... like 1/0/2 Thanks!
Old November 16, 2001, 18:17   #5
kmj
Prince

Local Time: 11:56
Quote:
Originally posted by PashaM
Oh, and one more thing... some people on this forum using a word "pop" what does it mean? And alos what those numbers mean for each unit... like 1/0/2 Thanks!

Um, you're gonna have to look at the manual a little bit, there. I'm sure it describes what those number mean. In short attack/defense/move

Some might tell you that "pop" means "soda". but they're insane, clearly. When used as a noun, it means population, when used as a verb (I think) it means when a city grows by 1 population point.

If you see the ai moving alot of units, it's because they have alot of units. If you want to move alot of units, build more units.

You should see in the bottom right corner of the game in the little info box, a date. Each turn progresses that date, until the game reaches 2050. Even if the game reaches that point you can still win if you have the most points.
Old November 17, 2001, 03:39   #6
HugoHillbilly
Warlord

Local Time: 11:56
Re: A new player... help!
Quote:
Originally posted by PashaM
Hi, im sure this is a silly question, but how do i make my soldiers move, same way AI soldiers move (one right after another...)?
Next question is why is my game running out of time, and i loose? It tells me that it is already 2000AD or something to that effect... but how can it be, when my country is only getting to industrial age?
Also, if i have a natural resource, can i still build a mine there? to increase production?
The reason the AI units move faster is because the computer is moving them, while you have to move them manually one by one. There is (currently) no way to move units faster than one by one.

Dont worry, as you gain experience at the game you wont be so far behind, on Warlord I hit industrial around 1400 AD (and I dont consider myself at all good at civ).

Yeah you can improve natural resource squares all you want.

Hope that helps you out!
Old November 17, 2001, 18:34   #7
scientific civ
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:56
I'm sorry man, but you REALLY have to read the manual. You're asking questions which are SO lame, that if you leaf through the manual for like 10 mins, you have all the answers. So get that manual and play all night long. Then you're a real die-hard.
Old November 17, 2001, 21:05   #8
PashaM
Settler

Thanks alot for answers... it helped. Oh, and to answer scientific civ's comments... what if i dont have a manual? stupid!
Old November 17, 2001, 21:30   #9
napalm010
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:56
If u dont have a manual then very good chance u got the game by illegal means or the friend u borrowed it from was unwilling to let u read it. Either go buy the game like most people here did or beat your friend about the head until he lets u read it.

That would be my 2 cents on the subject.