Old November 16, 2001, 18:49   #1
Nadexander
Warlord

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Conquer the world while ignoring corruption
The basis of this strategy is that once you get around any significant chunk of the world, corruption makes pretty much every city you conquer pretty much useless i.e. produce only 1 shield and 1 commerce.

In order to work in this kind of situation you need communism. The most important features that you should use are the draft and the rush build. This allows you to take advantage of the population despite the fact that you have no trade or production.

With this in mind the following steps should be taken:

1) The palace and the forbidden palace should be at two ends of your core cities, i.e. the by this point highly developed, high culture cities that youve had since the early game. This will allow you to have at least a base of functional cities from which to start.

2) Start conquering cities. How you go about doing this is up to you)

3) Suppress resisters with military units used to conquer.

4) Begin cultural assimilation the hard way. Rush build a temple (and maybe a cathedral depending on size). This has the double effect of causing other cultures citizens to "emigrate" and begins introducing your own culture early to keep the city from rebeling. Add your own settlers (not captured ones) to the city if the population drops too low.

5) Maximize population growth. Granaries/harbors and irragation/railraods for all the worked squares.

6) Draft 4 units for basic defence and martial law. Add a marketplace (for luxury resource effect) if neccesary to keep them happy if neccesary.

7) Get barracks. When pop grows, rush build a unit. Use units to conquer more cities. Lather rinse repeat.

Until Firaxis releases a patch that moderates corruption, this looks like the best way to smash you way to victory.
Old November 16, 2001, 23:17   #2
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 11:57
Re: Conquer the world while ignoring corruption
Quote:
Originally posted by Nadexander
The basis of this strategy is that once you get around any significant chunk of the world, corruption makes pretty much every city you conquer pretty much useless i.e. produce only 1 shield and 1 commerce.

In order to work in this kind of situation you need communism. The most important features that you should use are the draft and the rush build. This allows you to take advantage of the population despite the fact that you have no trade or production.

With this in mind the following steps should be taken:

1) The palace and the forbidden palace should be at two ends of your core cities, i.e. the by this point highly developed, high culture cities that youve had since the early game. This will allow you to have at least a base of functional cities from which to start.

2) Start conquering cities. How you go about doing this is up to you)

3) Suppress resisters with military units used to conquer.

4) Begin cultural assimilation the hard way. Rush build a temple (and maybe a cathedral depending on size). This has the double effect of causing other cultures citizens to "emigrate" and begins introducing your own culture early to keep the city from rebeling. Add your own settlers (not captured ones) to the city if the population drops too low.

5) Maximize population growth. Granaries/harbors and irragation/railraods for all the worked squares.

6) Draft 4 units for basic defence and martial law. Add a marketplace (for luxury resource effect) if neccesary to keep them happy if neccesary.

7) Get barracks. When pop grows, rush build a unit. Use units to conquer more cities. Lather rinse repeat.

Until Firaxis releases a patch that moderates corruption, this looks like the best way to smash you way to victory.

Actually, once I get to a certain point I just put the auto-governor on 'maintain happiness' or whatever for the corrupt cities and just ignore them after the resistance is quelled.

You are right. Keeping captured cities after a certain point is completely useless.
Old November 16, 2001, 23:56   #3
smellymummy
King

exactly they are useless.

someone else however might think otherwise... so sell the cities! i posted a strat about it titled trading cities in this board.

an interesting point made here though is communism and the rush building uses up population points not gold. When you complete the "longevity" wonder (2 population points growth instead of 1) your population goes through the roof and this is where you need to use and abuse the power of communism.
Old November 17, 2001, 00:31   #4
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:57
keeping captured cities provide

a) culture points
b) score
c) a forward base
d) a defensive position

I wouldn't say they are useless. perhaps less useful in the larger context.
Old November 17, 2001, 15:01   #5
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 11:57
Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
exactly they are useless.

someone else however might think otherwise... so sell the cities!
what are you talking about? by the time I need to put the auto-governor on for my captured cities, I am in the process of wiping out the other civs. All of them.

Selling my cities would just force me to recapture them. Too much trouble.
Old November 18, 2001, 17:44   #6
Nadexander
Warlord

The entire point is that under communism, cities beyond the maximum corruption point are FAR FROM USELESS in a conquest campaign.

1) Added support (8 free units per city!)
2) Forced labor can make the city productive (generate military units)
3) Drafting can give you free units
5) Forward bases
6) MUCH better than letting the opponent have the city
7) Expand your culture borders
Old November 18, 2001, 17:50   #7
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 17:57
They are far from useless under any government, because they can be taxed! You get free money. The more of these cities, the more free money.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=34669
Old November 18, 2001, 19:54   #8
Enigma
Prince

Longevity+ Communism- Wow good idea!

What I did was a combination of razing cities and building my own with settlers, I would also bring along a few obsolete units to be disbanded.

Razing my enemy's largest size 20++ cities would give me a LOT of workers, I would keep a certain fraction of his cities.

When I desperatrly need another wave of offense I disband 1 unit in every city on his continent, then I put in exactly enough settlers into base population to rush buy tanks in one turn.

It is pretty nice being able to do that, you can crank out tanks really quickly with all of that excess labor.

I only wish that the communism corruption equalization function would be better... it is just broken right now.
Old November 19, 2001, 04:53   #9
jan3
Settler

and selling captured city to one of your ennemy's friends (who are ganging up to eradicate you) do that has a chance to get them to war?