Old November 17, 2001, 13:43   #1
chocoballs
Settler

Local Time: 16:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Seljuk Turks as oesky barbarians
I know this has been probably been brought up before but I'm gonna risk it anyways...

The Ottoman Turks. Weren't they at one time, for a long period time, the a _ _ kickingest civ in the world?

I know the Seljuks are not the same but they raised hell on the same levels as that fun guy Genghis...why are they relegated to random barbarian duty?

One last question, are Turks and Huns really Mongols with different names?

"stuff I didn't know before but found out recently" fact of the day.

The word barbarian came from Greeks who thought that anyone not able to speak Greek were just barking sounds like "Bar bar bar..."

Old November 17, 2001, 13:56   #2
PMLF
Warlord

Local Time: 16:59
"The Ottoman Turks. Weren't they at one time, for a long period time, the a _ _ kickingest civ in the world?"

Yes, between about 1453 and about 1683.

"I know the Seljuks are not the same but they raised hell on the same levels as that fun guy Genghis...why are they relegated to random barbarian duty?"

Good question.

"One last question, are Turks and Huns really Mongols with different names?"

No, they are not. The Turks are uralo-altaic. The Mongols and probably the Huns are Mongolic.
Old November 17, 2001, 13:58   #3
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 18:59
Re: Seljuk Turks as oesky barbarians
Quote:
Originally posted by chocoballs
The word barbarian came from Greeks who thought that anyone not able to speak Greek were just barking sounds like "Bar bar bar..."
yeah and today we have devices that we think they just go "click" when we, well, click them....
Old November 17, 2001, 14:02   #4
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 18:59
AFAIK, turk- and mongol-peoples have a common origin and among (probable) hun skulls found and according to some roman author called Amianus Marcelinus, as well turk as mongol appearance is probable. The Turks and Mongols of the last millenium however are different peoples.

Side fact few people know: The "Chichimeca" of Aztec accounts had been considered to be a certain people, while actually Chichimeca has the same meaning as Barbar. The hungarian expression for germans "Nemet" originally meant the same (or was it a slavic expression for germans meaning that and the hungarians simply took up the word, I can't remember exactly)
Old November 17, 2001, 14:59   #5
ranskaldan
Prince

Local Time: 11:59
The Mongols, Turks, and Huns are all related. But the relation is about as distant, as, say, Celts, Germans and Slavs.