Old November 17, 2001, 13:46   #1
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 11:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Barbarians Too Destructive?
I think the way barbarians can continously pillage one city is unbalanced. I lost 400 gold from a 2 population city far from the fringes of my empire. The old system where they simply took over the city, and stole SOME gold was better. What is worse, is that I cannot raze my own city, so if I can't bring troops there, the bararians just continously pillage it.

Now before you historians remind me what happened to the Roman empire, I understand that. But to think that ALL of my nation's gold is in some backwater town, or that my nation would spend down its treasury like this is ridiculous, IMHO.
Old November 17, 2001, 13:54   #2
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 16:59
We *neeeed* a disband city option!

Why didn't you just starve your people off or something?
Old November 17, 2001, 14:00   #3
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 10:59
Re: Barbarians Too Destructive?
Quote:
Originally posted by Raleigh
Now before you historians remind me what happened to the Roman empire, I understand that. But to think that ALL of my nation's gold is in some backwater town, or that my nation would spend down its treasury like this is ridiculous, IMHO.
No you have a very valid point. Only thing it could be equated with would be the city being ransomed and even then thats a stretch
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 17, 2001, 14:03   #4
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 11:59
I cant figure out how to starve it b/c the city produces enough food in its own hex! I am going to try to build a settler (it only has 1 pop now) and see if I do that, although every time the barbarians raid, they destroy current production.
Old November 17, 2001, 14:06   #5
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 10:59
Sell off everything in the city, give it to someone and hope it doesnt come back via culture.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 17, 2001, 14:14   #6
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Local Time: 12:59
I've destroyed the barbarian encampment several times, but they keep regenerating. Each time I get 25 gold and a chance at a leader, though. Once, I got a warning, and the next turn 16 horsemen attacked my spearman. Beat off, 7 before falling, the remaining 9 pillaged 1 gold each as well as reducing the city to size 1. I don't let my gold balance get too high, I always buy tech from the AI with it.
Old November 17, 2001, 15:11   #7
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 09:59
You get the 25 gold (and my early game economy often relies on barbarian farming!) but you can't get a leader from barbarians. Ever. You can get Elite, which makes it easier to get one from killing English, but not from the barbarians.
Old November 17, 2001, 15:22   #8
Zardof
Settler

Local Time: 16:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva
Sell off everything in the city, give it to someone and hope it doesnt come back via culture.
Excellent point. The AI pays very well (a little too well IMO) for ANY city you own regardless of it's apparent worth.