Old November 17, 2001, 13:50   #1
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 11:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomacy Bargaining Power Question
Does anyone have any idea how bargaining power works? Example:

I was the aztecs. The americans were in AWE of my culture. Our militaries were roughly equal. They were cautious because we had a few wars in the past.

One of the trading combinations I saw was if I offered Monarchy (about 4-5 scientific advances worth) for writing (1st or 2nd advance) they were INSULTED?! THEY were insulted?

I thought culture is supposed to affect the quality of trades you get. For me to give monarchy for writing should have improved our relations tremendously, instead it would have insulted them, and that with my OVERWHELMING cultural superiority.

Any insight welcome.

Thanks.
Old November 17, 2001, 13:56   #2
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 16:59
Haven't you heard? The Americans aren't very keen on Monarchy. Refer to events in the US in the 18th century if you need further explanation.
Old November 17, 2001, 14:00   #3
Raleigh
Warlord

Good point. Do nationalities make a difference? I mean do certain nationalities bargain more aggressively? (Even so, this was ridiculous
Old November 17, 2001, 14:34   #4
David Murray
Prince

Oh, the other point I had to make was...were the Americans overall less advanced than you at the time, or more advanced?

And...were they running a Republic or Democracy at the time?

Because, if they were on Republic or Democracy, I can see why they wouldn't want Monarchy.

And also...I find the AI to be really quite tetchie (sp) if you've warred with it in the past.
Old November 17, 2001, 15:31   #5
Zorkk
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:59
Another thing, is that the americans might only be 1 or 2 turns away from discovering monarchy themselves. I've noticed that if the computer is close to discovring a tech, they of course won't want to trade much for it

Z
Old November 17, 2001, 16:03   #6
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 12:59
hey, dont worry, the ai diplomacy is completely unrealistic... its not an isolated incident.. as a test, i asked for 10 gold in exchange for 9030 gold... it didn't work so i offered all 5 techs i had over her (Elizabeth) and all my cities as well, and it still didn't work (see thread: OH MY GOD)
Old November 17, 2001, 16:24   #7
dannyevilcat
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:59
the only time they would refuse to give ten gold for all that in my games have been when they don't HAVE 10 gold to give.

Although once I accidentally listed 500 gold per turn when I thought it was lump sum. They refused, I assumed because the game knew I could afford it.
Old November 17, 2001, 16:29   #8
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I asked for one, size six city.

In return, I offered A) Every city in my empire (except my capital) -- several of which were size 12 (the max I could do at the time), and numbering about eight or nine cities total B) All the gold I had C) All the techs I had up on them (two or three major ones) D) everything else I possibly could.

Apparently, it's not worth it . Note that this is on Cheifton (have to get a feel for the game ), and I was one of the most powerful civs -- certinally not a ton less powerful than them.

In other words -- Bug. Computer assumes player will play rationally. Tut tut, bad assumption .

-- adaMada
Old November 17, 2001, 16:44   #9
StonedGoat
Settler

Actually, I don't think that's a bug. AFAIK, computer players will NOT trade cities for anything. This is to prevent rich players from "buying" cities. The only time the AI will cede cities to you is if you're whoopin' them in a war and you ask for some cities as part of the peace agreement. Other than that, forget it.
Old November 17, 2001, 16:52   #10
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by StonedGoat
Actually, I don't think that's a bug. AFAIK, computer players will NOT trade cities for anything. This is to prevent rich players from "buying" cities. The only time the AI will cede cities to you is if you're whoopin' them in a war and you ask for some cities as part of the peace agreement. Other than that, forget it.
Prehaps you're right (with cities), but I think it's a bug when you're as powerful as an enemy and you ask for something and offer the same something but with more value. So the ten gold to one hundred gold bug... I think, in a little way, that should apply to cities. If I offer them a size twenty city with several wonders, and ask for a size one -- they should take it and smile .

For that reason, I'd say it is a semi-bug... maybe not a total bug, but the AI should be able to say "this is a great deal" and take it.

-- adaMada
Old November 18, 2001, 08:01   #11
David Murray
Prince

For what tactical or strategical purposes would trading 100 gold in return for 10 ever be necessary?

The word "idiotic" springs to mind.
Old November 18, 2001, 12:14   #12
adaMada
King

Idoitic is it exactly. But, the AI should be able to handle idiotic moves on the part of the human. It should assume we're all stupid if we act like it, and take advantage of us accordingly .

It's really not a major issue, and probably isn't even worth patching until all the other stuff's been fixed, but it should be considered a bug.

-- adaMada
Old November 18, 2001, 14:13   #13
David Murray
Prince

Why not just give your opponent 90 gold as a tribute? They would accept that graciously.