Old November 17, 2001, 17:13   #1
Sentinali
Settler

Local Time: 09:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Strategies for Resource Depletion
I am just finished a very sucessful game at regent were I totally dominated the other civs, in fact the game is so easy it is boring to play right now.

The two keys to the game were, surprise surpirse, strategic resources, more specifically coal and oil.

Early game was pretty much all expansion but as soon as I entered the medieval age I went straight for military tradition and pumped out calvary. I attack my nearest neighbour and took away all his coal, which was the rest of the worlds supply not under my control and prevented everybody, but me, from producing railroad. This lead to a huge production advantage. I continued to pound the English (I was French and it was a natural war), and gave a couple cities to the Chinese and Indians, the other two civs remaining, and they gave me all they had for one stupid English city (one deal was 4 techs and 94 gold/turn and world map).

I repeated a similar process as I reached the industrial age, went straight for tanks and saw that I controlled about half the worlds oil supply, China controlled another three fields. I filled 4 transports with tanks and blitz the Chinese, taking their fields. They only managed to build two battleships and two subs before I choked off their supply.

After becoming my own Oil Baron, I had ultimate control of the entire world. My bombers (unchallenged) and now modern armor kicked China out of existance and I am now starting in on India, squishing infantry all the way. All in all the game should be over by 1800 AD, either by space or conquest......

Take home message, maintain expediationary forces for key surgical assaults when the resource reveal techs become available. Your oppenent, despite tech equivilence will be unable to make anything of substance in the end you will dominate.

As I see it, the key resources

Early - Iron (Horses are too spread out generally and the units aren't hard to beat, even calvary)
Industrial - Coal (rare resource, usually clusters, and without it you can't railroad. Sequester this and you will have a game long production bonus of 50%!!)
Modern - Oil (Everything good needs oil, nuf said)

Happy Playing,
Sent