Old November 17, 2001, 17:30   #1
Superpopanz
Settler

Local Time: 17:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Long term strategy- to kill or not to kill a weak enemy
Hi civers,
due the changes in the game (corruption, diplomacy etc.) its no longer a viable strategy to conquer the whole world, atleast imho.
I have the impression that a balance of power is important for my own safety, pet enemies and my "not so weak" allies at a long and very slow war with them feels just ok, especially if you bear in mind the little trust i do have in my "friends". Gracious is cheap in Civ3.

This is my current situation:

Huge earth, 14 (of 16) civs, monarch, 1650 ad, computer. Worldwar since 100 years
I`m German, democracy, science and military is equal to the French, my ally and superior to most of the rest (except navy). I own Africa (except the eastern French horn), the French own South Asia (from Arabia to Thailand).
Most civs ar at war with China (formerly very powerful and strong in NE Africa) and partially with shifting (and very strange) alliances. China is weak now and in Western and Central Europe. Babylonians, Aztecs, Iroquoi and Zulus are in America (the first 2 strong) and the Romans in Australia. The rest is in Eastern Europe and Asia.
Here are my choices:

1. Razing the rest of China and it`s 2 weak allies (english and american-cornered in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe).
This would result in a change of balance. Romans, Aztecs, Babylonians and French would lack their enemy and ressources would be idle. None is that trustworthy. The weaker civs of Eastern Europe and Western Asia would expand to the developed territory of the now extinct Chinese.

2. Taking the last 6 main Chinese cities.
Corruption, 2 additional ancient wonders, harder to defend, more appetite for the warmonger civs, valuable treasure to sell.
Still, a huge powerchange, possible new strong enemies.

3. Leaving it like it is.
I get my 500 gold per turn from busy allies for luxury and tech trade, they try to fight the chinese, i get all wonders and an even bigger army, develop my newbuilt cities in fomerly Chinese NE Africa.

Any suggestions?

Artillery and techtrade rules!

Never have "we are weak compared to these guys"-in your advisor box- do not trust your allies!
Old November 17, 2001, 17:40   #2
Txurce
Prince

Local Time: 16:59
Check out randomturn's thread on this topic. Hint: the answer is #3.
Old November 17, 2001, 19:01   #3
Superpopanz
Settler

Local Time: 17:59
Thanks, but i know his topics already (or why do you think i can keep up on monarch?, but my main point is different. The Chinese cant give me anything, they got 0 gold. I am wondering about the balance of power, after the Chinese are gone.