Old November 18, 2001, 11:48   #1
miike
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Possible bug with the Top 5 cities screen
I was playing Civ3 this morning, and I decided to pop up the Top 5 cities window, sure that one of my cities was in there. I open it up, and see the usual list of cities that had wonders in them. But the 5th city was Rome. In was a 4 size city and had no wonders. I had numerous cities over the size of 4 and I had built the Colossus. Why would my city that built the Colossus not been on that list? Assuming that I have no missed anything, this could be some weird bug.
Old November 18, 2001, 11:57   #2
Pandir
Chieftain

High culture maybe?
Old November 18, 2001, 11:57   #3
Wrong_shui
Warlord

maybe it has something to with culture, or maybe ceaser is sleeping with the judges.
Old November 18, 2001, 12:04   #4
ICMB
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:01
The top-5 cities list is based on Culture.

Most likely, Rome had a number of very old city improvements, which end up being highly valuable for culture.
Old November 18, 2001, 15:26   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 19:01
Quote:
Originally posted by ICMB
The top-5 cities list is based on Culture.

Most likely, Rome had a number of very old city improvements, which end up being highly valuable for culture.
It has? This means a 4000 year old temple produces more culture than a newly built temple? Haven't noticed that, maybe I gotta go check it out
Old November 18, 2001, 15:51   #6
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:01
It doesnt matter how much the temple produces per turn(there is no difference between the temples of course), but how much culture was accumulated.
Old November 18, 2001, 15:52   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

-So they only have a TOP 5 City's list- no top 10?

What is WRONG with this game!!!!!
Old November 18, 2001, 15:53   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Ah, so they still have temples
Eli and his Jewish Conspiracy have conquered Civ III as well as II and I
Old November 18, 2001, 16:18   #9
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:01
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
It has? This means a 4000 year old temple produces more culture than a newly built temple? Haven't noticed that, maybe I gotta go check it out
Yes, do check it out. Both temple and Palace in first city increase their number of musical notes (per-turn cultural value) over time. This may be how Rome got ahead, especially if it has library, university, and cathedral also.

Temples are not really a Jewish phenomenon, lots of the polytheistic religions used them as do modern religions including Bhudism and Hinduism as well. However, cathedrals are a Christian phenonoma. No alternatives are offered for Mosques, etc.
Old November 18, 2001, 16:26   #10
Auk
Chieftain

Since the capital starts generating culture from year one with its palace, this could be the reason Rome is above your non-capital cities.
Old November 18, 2001, 17:51   #11
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 13:01
Actually, Mosques can be built. If you are a ME civilization, your "cathedrals" look just like the Dome of the Rock Mosque.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old November 19, 2001, 09:47   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 19:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupanzer
Yes, do check it out. Both temple and Palace in first city increase their number of musical notes (per-turn cultural value) over time. This may be how Rome got ahead, especially if it has library, university, and cathedral also.
Yeah, you're right. Can't believe I didn't notice that...