Old November 19, 2001, 00:49   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 17:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
what happens when a capitol city is captured?
What happens when your capitol is captured. Mine has never been in Civ3, but in civ2 IIRC it caused massive anarchy.

In my last game I took the zulu capitol and in the same turn it was moved to another city. (They only had a few left so I wiped them out) but I didn't see any cities go berserk when I did it.

Later on I took the persian capitol. They didn't seem to suffer any anarchy and the capitol was moved, it looked like instantly. Any guidance on this?
Old November 19, 2001, 00:55   #2
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 12:04
D4everman

i have found that there doesn't appear to be any ill effects when you capture the AI's capital and that it immeadiately moves to a new location
Old November 19, 2001, 00:56   #3
ElitePersian
Prince

it appears that it doesnt do anymore than the actual loss of a city. I have been looking for an answer to this as well, but no one seems to know if it does any more.

A good idea might be to test it out, let the AI take your capital city and see what happens.
Old November 19, 2001, 00:59   #4
sachmo71
Warlord

Local Time: 11:04
In theory, it SHOULD cause massive corruption within the empire which lost it's capitol, as the palace no longer exists. Since I haven't lost mine yet, I can't tell if this happens or not.
Old November 19, 2001, 01:35   #5
Venger
King

Having wiped the Egyptians and Greeks from the face of the earth, I can tell you that it appears to do...nothing. I captured their capital at least 6 different times each, and didn't see anything special...

Venger
Old November 19, 2001, 06:21   #6
Akaoz
Prince

The only effect I can see from capturing a capitol is that you move it to another city, and destroy the civs spaceship if any.

-Alech
Old November 19, 2001, 11:11   #7
Cavalier_13
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:04
Aye, I agree....
Venger, Akaoz,

You are both correct......destorying or capturing the enemy capital does jack all.

I remember that when you captured a capital, you would make the civ go ape bananas, but now, you see the capital shift to the new city at no cost to the CPU AI.

Since this game was touted as having a cultural core that would affect gameplay, this half-assed approach to the loss of a capital is wrong. If the capital is the FIRST city created by a civ, and represents the "center" of culture for that civ, I would expect that it's loss would lead to some really bad effects, ranging from anarchy to even a global loss of culture for the civ as it tries to "re-find" it's cultural identity.

Cavalier
Old November 19, 2001, 11:55   #8
Venger
King

I liked the Civ2 concept where large Civs may splinter into two if you took their capital. IT may sitll be in Civ3 and we haven't seen it yet though...

Venger