Old March 9, 2001, 20:05   #1
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 20:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Chance to use your artistic skills honed in scenario design
I hope I'll be forgiven for posting this here... if you consider it disruptive I apologize in advance. But there is a lot of talent around here, and I'd really like to abuse some of it

The Clash of Civilizations project could really use a few good artists! (not that we'll turn you away if you're interested and have other skills ) We have four active coders now, and will have a new demo out soon, but no new iso terrain or unit graphics to put in it! What we have so far can be seen in the "Screen Shots" area of the web page below.

We are a non-clone Civ-type game project, and if there are any profits to distribute you'd get your share as a team member. If you're interested in finding out more...

- Web page: http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/

- Discussion: Clash of Civilizations forum on Apolyton

Thanks!

-Mark

[Edit] fix deadlink
[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited March 14, 2001).]
Old March 10, 2001, 11:27   #2
Snog
Warlord

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't think it's wrong at all to post here.

I know a lot of us who post to this forum are interested in game design in general. I do artwork, but I have a lot of projects backed up. Sometime soon I hope I'm going to be doing some map terrain graphics for a game project of my own.. but if I end up selling the rights to it, it could be bad if have already donated some art to you, because you would have to remove it. So I had probably better hold off on that until i see what becomes of it. You've got a lot of talented artists hanging around in these forums, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone turns out to help. I've read up on the game you're doing and there's a lot of interesting stuff in there, so I hope you are able to get it off the ground!

--Snog
Old March 11, 2001, 09:40   #3
Mark_Everson

Hi Snog:

Thanks for the encouragement . Well, please keep us in mind when the prospects for the other project become clearer! Or if you feel like modifying what you've got so that its similar but not identical to the other project, let me know, and we can talk about it.

-Mark
Old March 16, 2001, 23:54   #4
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
I enjoy drawing Civ2 units and I've now got some experience with it... You can take a look at my homepage to see my work. What are you exactly looking for? I wouldn't mind designing some units for your project. Just tell me if you're interested.

Old March 17, 2001, 08:22   #5
Mark_Everson

Hi Fiera:

I checked out the site, and you've got a lot of really great stuff there! I hope we can rope you into Clash . First I'll talk about immediate needs, and then the more long-term stuff.

What we need for units to use in demo 5 is:
Horde (mostly warriors)
Phalanx
We already have...
Light Spear (Egyptian style used in demo 4)
Trireme (as used in demo 4)
They should be drawn to fit on a 120x60 isometric tile (see screenshots of 120 pixel map here , and use the Egyptian light Spear men as a size guide.) The graphics format to use is gif 89a with the background set as transparent. (120x 60 is the resolution for max zoom in. In the future we will also have a variety of other resolutions for the artwork, and use software rescaling between the resolutions at which the units are done.

I see you have a lot of good buildings too, right now we are very light on buildings and city icons. I don't know if we would have time to get anything you did into demo 5, but demo 6 will definitely have need for more structures.

The thing that works best is for you to put a post describing your concept, with a link to whatever graphics you are describing. Then the whole team can see what you are doing and discuss it. For now the best place to put these posts, is the thread on Unit Graphics.

Beyond the drawing of units for the next demo, there are a lot of basic specification questions about the graphics that we need to work on. If you are interested, I encourage you to participate in the discussions on this also. Our big question is how to show task forces (armies composed of groups of units) in a graceful manner on the map at a variety of zoom levels. You can look in the top link above to see some of our ideas on how to do this. Other discussion is in the unit graphics thread, and the one that came before it.

And of course our holy Grail is to find some artists who will stick with it for the long haul, because many different style units done by different artists won't be thematically consistent enough for the final release. That of course will come after the final specs are worked out...

I hope you like what you see of Clash, and choose to participate .

-Mark
Old March 17, 2001, 15:54   #6
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
quote:

Originally posted by Mark_Everson on 03-17-2001 07:22 AM
I checked out the site, and you've got a lot of really great stuff there! I hope we can rope you into Clash .

Thanks a lot! I've already posted something that may interest you at the Unit Graphics thread.

For what I've seen, the Clash of Civilizations projects looks interesting and fun to me. I'd really like to help you, and as designing units and taking part in some discussions, doesn't seem too time consuming, I think I'll be able to do it.

quote:

I see you have a lot of good buildings too, right now we are very light on buildings and city icons. I don't know if we would have time to get anything you did into demo 5, but demo 6 will definitely have need for more structures.

OK, you just tell me what you need when the time comes, and I'll see what can I do. I enjoy designing buildings too, though I have less experience. I've been playing around with the isometric view lately, which makes things easier and gives the building a very consistent look.

quote:

Beyond the drawing of units for the next demo, there are a lot of basic specification questions about the graphics that we need to work on. If you are interested, I encourage you to participate in the discussions on this also.

I'll try to do it as much as I'm able.

quote:

And of course our holy Grail is to find some artists who will stick with it for the long haul, because many different style units done by different artists won't be thematically consistent enough for the final release. That of course will come after the final specs are worked out...

Yes, I understand you. Let's see, how much units do you plan to include in the final release? Even if you want to include a hundred units, there is plenty of time still to work on them, I guess...

quote:

I hope you like what you see of Clash, and choose to participate .

Sure I like it, and, wether I finally participate or not, I want to wish you good luck with it.

Old March 17, 2001, 21:25   #7
Mark_Everson

Great to have you provisionally as part of the project Fiera!

I've put a new post on design issues in the Unit Graphics thread on the Clash forum that you may want to check out. By way of a short answer something like 100 unit grafix is correct, although we will cover different cultures' units if we have the artists for it.

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited March 17, 2001).]
Old April 13, 2001, 00:17   #8
Mark_Everson

Fiera is doing a great job of moving things along in the graphics area. But we could use more comments and ideas about the graphical design, since we only have 4 or 5 in the discussion at the moment. If you're interested in kibbitzing, please join us and give your opinions at http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum...000357.html?18

Thanks,

Mark