View Poll Results: Are UU less realistic/fun?
I'd like them out because they are less realistic (thus less fun for me). 6 8.57%
I'd like them out because it'd be more fun (strategy, etc.) 4 5.71%
They are fun and realistic. No problem Alf. 31 44.29%
They may be less realistic but I want them in because they're fun. 22 31.43%
So what??! Civ III is like it is and I take it like this. 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 19, 2001, 16:00   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Are UU less realistic/fun?
Sorry if this poll was already posted a long time ago (maybe?) but now the game is out and I don't remember seeing such a poll after people have played.

So, what do you think about unique units? Little too AoEish?

Some may find UU realistic because distinguishing civs, some may find them less realistic for some other reasons. Some may find them less fun because of the strategic consequences (more isn't always better), etc.

Here is MY opinion (read if you want):
In my opinion, units that were espescially strong in history were strong because:

1- that the enemy didn't have them yet and/or was technologically more advanced (like hoplite, elephants, F15, Panzer (today's tanks beats Panzer, but Germans were more advanced on tanks first. Same for F15), etc.)

2- of a especially strong leader, sometimes by good strategic ideas or tactics (as legion, hoplite, impis)

3- of advantages given by topography or specific aspects of the civ's territory (like Iroquois with their warriors (not the horses we have now...), or Jaguar warriors with especially good communication system (roads, etc.))

4- of culture. (Jaguar warriors that have a very strong military culture, Samorais)

5- of morale and war experience of units or of general population (F15, Babylonian bowmen)

6- of golden age, which have influences on creativity, productivity and absolutely all in a civilisation.

But stil, I like Civ III's UU to be implemented for people who are making less fun with realism and for myself when I wanna play like this. So even if I'd prefer a better system about units bonuses, I feel it's better having the option to put UU than be obliged to play without. So I voted less realistic (even if I like the option for others, and as a kind of "mod" for me). But I would sure accept a better system of UU. Like units getting serious advantages from certain factors (those I said).

Last edited by Trifna; November 19, 2001 at 17:57.
Old November 19, 2001, 18:15   #2
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 17:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well they can be shut on or off, good enough for me.
Old November 19, 2001, 19:46   #3
PMLF
Warlord

The UUs are good, but maybe should have 2 or 3 UUs per civilization.
Old November 30, 2001, 22:07   #4
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 11:06
The only problem with them is from a balance standpoint. The F-15 is practically worthless while the Immortal is strong for a long time.
Old December 1, 2001, 17:10   #5
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Remark
I notice that about half of the apolytoners think that UU are realistic, and half think it is not. Just a remark, by puting the two "not realistic" columns in one.
Old December 1, 2001, 20:54   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:06
i don't like how they trigger the golden age....other than that and the air bug.......i dn't have a problem with them..though i would have chosen different ones for some civs
Old December 2, 2001, 14:22   #7
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
Re: Remark
Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna
I notice that about half of the apolytoners think that UU are realistic, and half think it is not. Just a remark, by puting the two "not realistic" columns in one.
The poll states "may be less realistic" in 1 section. Thus thinking 1 or 2 UU are unrealistic or perhaps some are "somewhat unrealistic" & the others are realistic "for fun" would count for that option. It doesn't mean 1/2 the people think ALL the UU are "unrealistic."

Additionally, there are TONS of things "unrealistic" about Civ3... and Civ2... and Civ1.
Old December 4, 2001, 09:24   #8
chiren
Settler

Local Time: 18:06
Re: Are UU less realistic/fun?
Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna

1- that the enemy didn't have them yet and/or was technologically more advanced (like hoplite, elephants, F15, Panzer (today's tanks beats Panzer, but Germans were more advanced on tanks first. Same for F15), etc.)
usa is more advanced on building f-15 ???

tell me when did that happen to be. sure usa is more advanced in stealth-technology than the rest of the world. but in times the f-15 was build firts the russians had fighters similar to the us ones. they were equally strong. so us did not have an advance over the russians that time.

but on the other hand usa never made a war against an equal strong enemy (see WWI, WWII, korea, vietnam, iraq, afghanistan...). they always had an advance in mass or technology against their enemies. so i dont think you can say that usa has best military forces. (sure they have many many many)
Old December 4, 2001, 10:46   #9
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 18:06
I love Unique Units; they add more to the atmosphere....
Old February 23, 2002, 17:13   #10
Pius Popprasch
Warlord

I read in a history book that the Greek Hoplites were stronger than the Persian Immortals. Now I know it better.
Old March 9, 2002, 16:22   #11
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
I think they make it unfair and the civs unequal (as do teh special advantages), but you cant play without the special advantages and the UUs make it more fun. To solve this I made a mod that can be found at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=43428

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal