Old April 12, 2001, 16:21   #1
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 18:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Help wanted inquire within.
I am currently working on a Vietnam scenario and would appreciate any ideas about possible wonders and improvements.

In the scenario I wanted to include all sides of the conflict. That means that I want to represent the American/ S.Vietnamese forces, N. Vietnamese, Russians/ Chinese, Khmer Rouge, and forces from the Austrailians, New Zealanders, S. Koreans, Philopinno's, Thai's, and maybe the Mountainyards (?spelling). I planned on having maybe a nuetral civilization setup to include the allied cities, but rely on events to give the Americans their units. The problem is that I cannot find a map to accomodate what I want to do. I have tried to make my own map but failed miserably. If anybody is willing to help design a map or give me leads on finding a big enough map, the help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that I have my units file finished, but there is always room for improvement. I do not have it uploaded anywhere so if you would like to see it for any reason just e-mail me and I will send it to you.

Please list any suggestions or ideas.

P.S. sorry if it is kind of vague, I am in a hurry to get to class.
Old April 12, 2001, 21:17   #2
Exile
King

Local Time: 19:15
Well, I can think of several good ideas for events using the "happy" wonders; These can represent various indigenous regimes supported by the US, all of whom were variously effective. Each could go obsolete with the appearance of the next. The Bao Dai government, the Diem regime, etc.

It seems that this scenario idea could be done really well, but a wealth of information would be essential. May I recommend the book America's Longest War. I have a copy around here somewhere, if you're interested, I can see who the author is. It is a remarkably well-researched monograph and is stupendously informative. Just trying to recall some of the information from the book sparks ideas; there was so much of it! You may be able to locate a copy via Amazon.com

Salutations,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
Old April 19, 2001, 01:48   #3
Jimmywax
Prince

Thanks, the regimes idea is a very good idea. I need to pick some more peoples brains though to come up with some more. I am going to use Leo's Workshop upgrade units to make sure that units are not being used in the wrong time frame. I am also going to use the sheild multiplying wonders to represent both Soviet/Chinese and American aide. Plus I am going to use the Pyramids to represent peasant support or cooperation.
Old April 19, 2001, 01:55   #4
Jimmywax
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Exile on 04-12-2001 09:17 PM

May I recommend the book America's Longest War. I have a copy around here somewhere, if you're interested, I can see who the author is.

Thanks, the authors name would be great. Right now I have several sources from books (some on the way too) and magazines to the web. One problem is that a lot of these contradict each other. Upon further research the other day I found that New Zealand's only contribution was in the form of engineers. Needless to say I have decided to drop them from the scenario.
Old April 19, 2001, 05:02   #5
Exile
King

Local Time: 19:15
JW, the book I spoke about is an academic monograph. There is no better source of information on the War available in the form of literature. The bonus for this work is that it is highly readable; it is thorough, but the author does not necessarily utilize technical nomenclatures that confound the layman. It details all the behind the scenes politics and diplomacy, the interaction between the Vietnamese local economy and the wider world economy, and the social consequences of foreign troops in southeast Asia. The book is written by George C. Herring, ISBN # 0-070-28393-1. It also contains an excellent bibliography that will not only lead you to other, more specific works, but IIRC, it's annotated and will therefore provide you with some information about these works' credibility.

Salutations,
Exile