Old November 19, 2001, 21:33   #1
Blisterz
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mutual pro pact.
I was wondering if you have a MPP with 2 nations and they go to war with each other. It has not yet happened to me yet and I was wondering what happens. Thanks
Old November 19, 2001, 23:12   #2
Zizka
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:07
usually they side with your opponent. In general I find MPP just lead you to get into wars you'd rather not get into...

Z
Old November 19, 2001, 23:28   #3
kmj
Prince

Local Time: 12:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Zizka
usually they side with your opponent. In general I find MPP just lead you to get into wars you'd rather not get into...

Z
'Course, if the rest of the civs are linked by a pact and you get targeted by one of them, that could lead to a very rough time unless you're pretty damn tough militarily. Happened to me once and while I managed to hold the rest of the world off, it turned the whole game into a big defensive battle that sucked up my resources.
Old November 20, 2001, 00:20   #4
SuiteSisterMary
Chieftain

You're, say, China. MPP with Greece, and Germany. War breaks out. Whichever side starts it, you'll side with the defender. I.e. Greece attacks Germany, you're siding with Germany. Germany attacks Greece, you're siding with Greece. It's a PROTECTION pact, and you'll protect the defender, weather you like it or not.
Old November 20, 2001, 01:02   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:07
Quote:
Originally posted by SuiteSisterMary
You're, say, China. MPP with Greece, and Germany. War breaks out. Whichever side starts it, you'll side with the defender. I.e. Greece attacks Germany, you're siding with Germany. Germany attacks Greece, you're siding with Greece. It's a PROTECTION pact, and you'll protect the defender, weather you like it or not.
I agree. Nothing is wrong with MPPs.
Old November 20, 2001, 10:03   #6
SuiteSisterMary
Chieftain

Quote:
I agree. Nothing is wrong with MPPs.
Aye, nothing is wrong with MPPs (well, it should take into account who starts a war) but there is a problem in the fact that there's four diplomatic states:
War
Cold War
Mutual Defense
Allied FOR a war

There should also be
Non-aggression
Non-interferance
a few others that escape me.
Old November 20, 2001, 10:38   #7
Felan
lifer
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:07
Suppose there are three civs A (you), B, and C.

Suppose A has an mpp with B.

Suppose B has an mpp with C.

-----------------------------------------------------
Civ C has some units trepassing in your lands and you ask him to leave or declare war. So he declares war. At this point Civ B is still allied with both parties and not involved in the war.

If A attacks those units in his territory and kills them, then all is okay and B will say yeah you did right.

If C attacks anything in A's territory, including bombarding to destroy enhancements, then B will say "oh, Civ C, you shouldn't done that now I too am at war with you."

If A attacks anything in C's territory, including bombarding to destroy enchancements, then B will say "Boy Civ A, you aren't very smart and now I have to declare war on you."

If A attacks C in a territory that belongs to B then B won't declare war on A or vice versa.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rule is attacking a unit in its own territory invokes all mutual protection treaties against the attacker. Otherwise the treaty is not invoked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This means you can declare war against a civ and fight that civ and never invoke the wrath of his allies if you are very careful about where you attack and where you don't.