Old November 19, 2001, 21:52   #1
ElBone
Settler

Local Time: 17:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
absent resource, worldwide?
Hmmm, I'm in a game right now where there appears to be no coal, in the entire world. Is this possible??

bone
Old November 19, 2001, 22:21   #2
Zorkk
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:07
Interesting! Never seen this in any of my games. There's alway's been at least 1 (on one of my games, just 1 saltpeter showed up... hehe)

I have had resources "appear" on me, after i've done some improving. One game, I deforested a square, and 3 horses showed up all around that square.. was damn nice! haven't seen it happen since tho!

Z
Old November 20, 2001, 15:21   #3
Spam Shark
Warlord

Local Time: 12:07
I've had that happen twice. No coal. Nothing in my borders. None of the other civs have any either. I got battleships and aircraft carriers but no railroads.
Old November 20, 2001, 15:28   #4
Martinus Magnificus
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:07
Could it be that you just haven't discovered the right technology yet? If I recall things correctly, it takes certain technologies to actually see certain resources, so that it would look like the resource suddenly appears out of thin air when you discover the technology.
Old November 20, 2001, 15:47   #5
ElBone
Settler

hmmm... [sheepish grin] there was plenty, just very difficult to spot. Some of my neighbors still had a lot of jungle not cleared. Of course, none in my territory, but I have been able to trade the germans for 1 of their 3 deposits, so I'm good to go.

Interestingly, I noticed if you are missing any of the strategic resources, the best one to be missing is coal. It's cheap to get from another civ, and all you need it for is 2 deals, that's enough to get the railroads built. The era of ironclads is very short if you are geared up for research.

They need to make all the resources easier to spot. Sometimes, I can't find where I'm getting my own resources from...

bone
Old November 20, 2001, 16:45   #6
AHO
Chieftain

You say you found coal after you cleared some jungle? I never tried that. I'll give it a try. I've only been looking in the hills.
Old November 20, 2001, 16:50   #7
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:07
Hide & Go Seek
Coal is there, it just is the hardest resource to find.

1.It has the lowest Appearance Ratio at 120.
2.It EASILY can blend in with the terrain (jungle, etc.) making it appear as if it doesn't exist. Suggestion: Set your contrast on your monitor VERY high so it will be easier to see.

However, I wonder what would happen if you built cities on resources before they were revealed. Does that resource suddenly remain buried & unusable until the city is razed OR does the resource appear elsewhere on the map?
Old November 20, 2001, 18:15   #8
Bismark29
Settler

I just had the same thing happen to me in my first game. No coal whatsoever. Is this a bug?
Old November 20, 2001, 19:08   #9
ElBone
Settler

AHO: neighbors did. I think it was already there, just impossible to spot in the fog of war. Once they cleared jungle, I could see it. I don't think it appeared because they were clearing jungle... I believe that is a myth.

Bismark: It's there, just difficult to spot. When I first encountered this, I though it might be a bug, but at the end of the day, it's just difficult to spot.

This game has become interesting as I'm playing it. The germans sold me coal for two deals, and I got ALL railroads built by my army of workers. Then, at the end of the second deal, a coal resource appeared in my territory (when I don't need it!! ) So I did not renew the deal, they declared war on me (bastards!), Aztecs joined in, and they are both now being roundly pummelled by my American self and the Irriquois, who sit between me and both of them How lovely for the dumb bastards!!... I have by far the most powerful military, but they took me on anyway... tanks are chewing up jaguar warriors for snacks

Cheers.

bone
Old November 20, 2001, 19:08   #10
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:07
Latent resources under your cities suddenly appear in the resources list of your Trade Advisor. No announcement; they just show up. Clearing forests or jungles, building cities, even global warming have no effect on the appearance or availability of resources. The seeds for these are obviously set at the beginning of the game.

Additionally, the developer claims the system is designed to provide at least one of every resource per civ on the map. May have been referring to strategic resources, but you get the drift. Oil and coal are very hard to spot. Additionally, civs that don't have the tech for them don't seem to be aware of latent resource existance. Add the fog of war, and some of them are very difficult to find.